Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

How Do You Spend Your Time During the Holiday Season?

Last post 12-21-2011 12:06 PM by MarthaMFI. 6 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 11-18-2011 7:33 PM

How Do You Spend Your Time During the Holiday Season?

When our children were young, my husband and I tried to divert them from constant commercials, shopping, buying, and centering their thoughts on what they wanted to receive as presents.

For Thanksgiving, we talked about the year that had just passed and encouraged them to list the experiences and things for which they were thankful.

While visiting the stores displaying holiday decorations, we gave donations to worthy causes.

During the time between Thanksgiving and New Years, we arranged for special family dinners each Sunday evening. We lit candles, one on the first Sunday and one more on each Sunday evening following. We dimmed the lights, played soft music, and tried to devote the evening to family. Following the meal, the children took turns blowing out the candles.

Are there things that you remember and celebrate during the holiday period? Do you have any special traditions that you brought to your family?  

• 11-18-2011 11:36 PM In reply to

Re: How Do You Spend Your Time During the Holiday Season?

Hi lorie if I understand right how we spend the holidays well goes like this my dad on the computer, niece is reading an other terrible book,sil is pretending to be betty crocker mom and me have a lecture on each other who is going to clean the kitchen and brother dearest hogging the dinner table with his latest camareas telling us about the next championship of body building which makes me think ok what is the american holiday family is well you heard it from me may be a deranged family but I also look at it this way we are just together and this is us wierdness and all... (happy t-day)

• 12-12-2011 11:58 AM In reply to

Before any holiday, I and my children sit down and decide what we want to eat together, what we want to do together and - approximately - what everyone wants to do together with friends, and when... Do they want to invite friends to our house and/or go out for a meal?

As we all have to save money, we all try to focus on our real wants, as a family and as individuals. It's also nice to try to do something with each child alone.

I have found that holiday traditions have to change with the age of one's children. What they enjoyed two years ago is out of question this year... So one can just as well ask in advance...

• 12-20-2011 9:44 PM In reply to

We are establishing new holiday traditions and keeping some old ones. This past year, MIL died and my MOm went to a nursing home. A lot of our traditions were centered around them. For the grandkids , we are trying to incorparate some of the old into new ones.  My Mom made cookies with the greatgrandkids. As the grandma , I picked that up . We made cookies, then a few days later. The whole family, around 20 of us, rode to see a huge Christmas light display. We came back and ate the cookies with hot chocolate. We had a big dinner last Sun , then off to church for the kids program.  I am helping the kids make presents for their parents. We will all go to church on Christmas morning, then to one DS for food and gifts.  We read the Christmas story, pray together as a family for the blessing of last year and the new year soon to come. Babs
    Officially recognized Stretchpert in Prayer Circle
  • 12-20-2011 11:39 PM In reply to

babs:
    We are establishing new holiday traditions and keeping some old ones. This past year, MIL died and my MOm went to a nursing home. A lot of our traditions were centered around them. For the grandkids , we are trying to incorparate some of the old into new ones.  My Mom made cookies with the greatgrandkids. As the grandma , I picked that up . We made cookies, then a few days later. The whole family, around 20 of us, rode to see a huge Christmas light display. We came back and ate the cookies with hot chocolate. We had a big dinner last Sun , then off to church for the kids program.  I am helping the kids make presents for their parents. We will all go to church on Christmas morning, then to one DS for food and gifts.  We read the Christmas story, pray together as a family for the blessing of last year and the new year soon to come. Babs

Hey babs sorry for the loss of mil I do know what its like with death in the family I thought I would have middle sister good bye well she is remission for the cancer meanwhile you know the dh died last year and this year dad landed in the hospital and cindy poor kid has to deal with the mania thats how come she is the board until it goes away..

So christmas as hard it is well you wrap a good presant and a hug to every one they like that.

chrissanne
  • 12-21-2011 10:01 AM In reply to

Sissy, you and your family have had a hard year too. I am just thankful that we can pray for G'd to help us through these hard times. Thankful that we know there is more than just life on this earth. Praying for Cindy and your Dad. Babs
    Officially recognized Stretchpert in Prayer Circle
  • 12-21-2011 12:06 PM In reply to

It is hard when you lose someone or people are sick during the holidays. Our family is small so when the inlaws go it will be strange. We focus on friends and family. We do xmas eve dinner with the inlaws and xmas with family too. Since the kids are little I do things like go to the library today for xmas story and craft. We have a tradition of going to a panto play..this year is sword and the stone during the holidays. since dh is off we like to get some stuff around the house done too lol. the basement is the focus this year. so will see!
    Officially recognized Stretchpert in Hobbies and Crafts
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us