Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

The Dollar Stretcher Community has a new home!

Feel free to read the great frugal living tips, ideas and discussions readers and community members have posted here. But if you'd like to post something or start a discussion, please click here to go over to our new community site and create an account.

Please contact Brandy@stretcher.com for questions about these forums.

Plus Sized Clothes for Teen Boys

Last post Sat, Dec 3 2011 10:45 PM by Polka Dot. 7 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, Nov 16 2011 9:21 AM

• Brandy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Mar 28 2007
    • Saving in South Mississippi
    • Posts 25,145

Plus Sized Clothes for Teen Boys

One of our readers, Madeleine, writes in with a question about clothes for plus sized boys. Can you help her with tips to end her frustration with searching for clothes that fit?

I liked the article for plus size clothing for girls <http://www.stretcher.com/stories/03/03oct13a.cfm>, but what about boys? Most of the stores mentioned have clothes for girls, but not much in the way of boys' clothing. We have to shop in the Men's Department, but the length is all wrong.
    Madeleine

The Dollar Stretcher Community Manager

• Wed, Nov 16 2011 4:39 PM In reply to

Re: Plus Sized Clothes for Teen Boys

My eldest son has always been thicker in the waist and shorter in the leg. What I have always done is buy mens clothes at thrift stores and cut off a few feet then hem up and reshape the pant legs. It takes a little time and trial and error to get it just right. And now thankfully he's finnaly tall enough that we can buy right off the rack.

cyn

• Wed, Nov 16 2011 5:15 PM In reply to

• gayla50
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Mon, Sep 24 2007
    • Western North Carolina
    • Posts 8,491

boy oh boy  we are blessed there are alot of the thirft stores there are   alot of people who fit this problem .

Gayla

Officially Recognized Stretchpert in Frugal Food and Cooking and in Slow Cooker Foods

Purpose is what gives life a meaning
  • Thu, Dec 1 2011 6:23 AM In reply to

I have this same problem but opposite ends of the weight sprectrum. It is so hard to find clothing that fits because I am way underweight and have to shop in the kid's section but then I am 5ft8, or a little under since I shrunk some, and then pants and sleeves are too SHORT for my height. I can say though that OLD NAVY has been my hook up. They offer a husky line for bigger boys though up to size xxl/18 so I recommend checking them out. She can visit their website to get a better idea of what they can offer.

"Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime." ~Chinese Proverb~
  • Thu, Dec 1 2011 8:10 AM In reply to

• Brandy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Posts 25,145

BargainBinge:
    cause I am way underweight and have to shop in the kid's section but then I am 5ft8, or a little under since I shrunk some, and then pants and sleeves are too SHORT for my height

My son is underweight. He is 6 feet though and I can not find pants he doesn't have to wear a belt with just so they droop below where they should.

They make clothes for middle of the road bodies and too little for anyone on the far sides.

• Thu, Dec 1 2011 11:02 AM In reply to

Wow, I feel for him because I understand all too well. It's such a hassle and can be depressing to be quite honest - to find clothing to fit my low weight and height. Your son is tall. Old Navy is one of the only stores I have found forgiving enough to occassionally find pants that fit and those come out of the little girls section... my selection is very limited. When they have unisex looking cargos with adjustable waistline then I am a winner, otherwise I'm stuck high and dry. I recently scored 2 thermal lined cargos there. I can't tell you how happy I was! Where has your son had luck Brandy?

"Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime." ~Chinese Proverb~
  • Sat, Dec 3 2011 9:58 AM In reply to

• Brandy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Posts 25,145

BargainBinge:
    Where has your son had luck Brandy?

My brother's closet. LOL!

My brother is shorter than he is and was also think at one point. He had the funds to put into clothes from department stores and passed them along. Now that my son has grown taller, I have been replacing jeans with finds from thrift stores. We have found a couple of fits from Sears and even Walmart as well.

It's just a constant hunt to get what he needs and at bargain prices.

• Sat, Dec 3 2011 10:45 PM In reply to

Yes  These websites might help:  www.casualmaleXL.com   www.kingsizedirect.com  www.destinationXL.com   I have a used, one-button,navy men's blazer in a larger size, looking for a good home. (I'd have to find it in the closet and post the size later)

Page 1 of 1 (8 items)

The Dollar Stretcher has a new community!

Feel free to read the great frugal living tips, ideas and discussions readers and community members have posted here. But if you'd like to post something or start a discussion, please click here to go over to our new community site and create an account.

About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us