Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

The Dollar Stretcher Community has a new home!

Feel free to read the great frugal living tips, ideas and discussions readers and community members have posted here. But if you'd like to post something or start a discussion, please click here to go over to our new community site and create an account.

Please contact Brandy@stretcher.com for questions about these forums.

Conserving Heat

Last post Fri, Nov 18 2011 12:34 PM by sunshinetreva. 13 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (14 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Mon, Nov 14 2011 7:35 AM

• Brandy
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Mar 28 2007
    • Saving in South Mississippi
    • Posts 25,145

Conserving Heat

What are your tricks this year for keeping the heat in and the bill for it lower?

The Dollar Stretcher Community Manager

• Mon, Nov 14 2011 8:15 AM In reply to

Re: Conserving Heat

I don't really have any new tricks, but I'm finding that keeping the thermostat lower and focusing on heater blankets and small heaters keeps the bill from becoming unmanageable.  I also make sure to keep the oven door open after I'm done baking so that the heat gets into the house.  I'm always amazed how much that keeps the temps up!
    Officially Recognized Stretchpert in the General forum
  • Mon, Nov 14 2011 8:27 AM In reply to

• Brandy
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Mar 28 2007
    • Saving in South Mississippi
    • Posts 25,145

sunshinetreva:
    I also make sure to keep the oven door open after I'm done baking so that the heat gets into the house. 

I like that one. I'd be worried in this house that my youngest would run into it though. I like the house but I am not liking how the kitchen is one of the walk through rooms.

I leave the bathroom door open when I am using the dryer in there because it generates heat.

The Dollar Stretcher Community Manager

• Mon, Nov 14 2011 8:49 AM In reply to

• gayla50
    • Not Ranked
      Female
    • Joined on Mon, Sep 24 2007
    • Western North Carolina
    • Posts 8,491

we have windows that we cover with plastic in side and out and then heavy curtains .

it alot easier this was we also dont have the  heat high it about 68 ...

there are blanket and throws if someone gets cold . if really cold we have a roaring fire in the family room ..

we do everything including the dryer .

Gayla

Officially Recognized Stretchpert in Frugal Food and Cooking and in Slow Cooker Foods

Purpose is what gives life a meaning
  • Mon, Nov 14 2011 10:47 AM In reply to

I always open the dishwasher just as soon as the rinse stops running - it lets the heat and moisture into the house, plus the dishes dry quickly so I don't have to dry them with a dishcloth!

• Mon, Nov 14 2011 11:04 AM In reply to

putting in new energy efficient windows this week. We have our wood cook range going in the new-old house and the fireplace going in our current one. I am thinking about getting some thermal drapes for 2 or 3 of the rooms. Dh is buttoning up some areas of the new-old house that allow drafts. We covered a couple of porch windows that were missing storms with insulated foamboard.

Michelle in Northern Michigan

"Those who would surrender liberty for security deserve neither" - Ben Franklin

• Mon, Nov 14 2011 11:05 PM In reply to

I have to start taping all the wood frames around each window, along wih the window sills. They aren't tight to the wall. Also have to put up plastic, though sometimes I just tape them (but fire hazard). I have two oil-filled electric radiators which do a good job. What I am afraid of is power outtage - then, I have no source of heat at all.

• Tue, Nov 15 2011 1:13 AM In reply to

Wearing shoes in the house!  I'm not much of a shoe wearer, but when it gets cold I make sure I have something on my feet in the house.  Even just a pair of slippers makes a difference.

I also find I feel warmer in fleece pants than I do in jeans.  I have a couple of pairs (I think I got them from Old Navy) that I change into when I feel too cold in the house.  My kids also have some fleece clothing (including footed jammies for night time) for when it's cold.  My oldest's fleece pullovers alone have probably saved us from having to turn up the heat very much.

Like an earlier poster, I'll prop the oven door open a little bit when I've finished cooking so the heat can warm the room.

Mama to a teen and a preschooler KINDERGARTENER!! -- oh, the fun! Also co-parenting 3 other awesome kids. :)
  • Tue, Nov 15 2011 2:00 AM In reply to

Some other things I thought of...

We have down comforters for all of the beds.  We found them fairly inexpensively (or at least inexpensive as far as down comforters are concerned) at Ikea back when we were living in a house without insulation.  Boy, were we thankful for them back then!  Even in California, winter nights can get pretty cold!  While we now have insulation and central heating, the comforters allow us to keep the thermostat pretty low at night.

Flannel sheets along with the down comforters and flannel or fleece pajamas (hey, even *I* have a pair of footed jammies!) keep us all cozy.  We also have several fleece blankets for when it's not quite cold enough to need the down, but cool enough that a blanket is needed.

We also each got a Snuggie for Christmas a few years ago when I found some for $5 each.  As wacky as they look, they do help!

Mama to a teen and a preschooler KINDERGARTENER!! -- oh, the fun! Also co-parenting 3 other awesome kids. :)
  • Tue, Nov 15 2011 12:56 PM In reply to

I agree completely on the fleece.  And sweats.  I buy DD 2-3 pairs of sweats every fall just for wearing around the house.  She doesn't like them to sleep in, but will pair them with a long t-shirt and wear the t-shirt to bed, but use the pants for walking around the house before bed or in the morning. 

I'm the one who gets the coldest.  DD & DH both run warm.  So when I start feeling chilly, my biggest chill-breaker is getting up and doing something -- washing dishes, straightening up a room, dusting with a rag and furniture polish, vacuumming.  Anything that will get the blood moving seems to help.

Officially Recognized Stretchpert in the General forum
Page 1 of 2 (14 items) 1 2 Next >

The Dollar Stretcher has a new community!

Feel free to read the great frugal living tips, ideas and discussions readers and community members have posted here. But if you'd like to post something or start a discussion, please click here to go over to our new community site and create an account.

About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us