Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

Shipping Gifts

Last post Mon, Nov 14 2011 5:19 PM by LWolfT. 4 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Mon, Nov 14 2011 7:08 AM

• Brandy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Mar 28 2007
    • Saving in South Mississippi
    • Posts 25,145

Shipping Gifts

A member mentioned the cost of holiday shipping in another post. Do you ship gifts to friends and family in other states?

What is the best way to spend less on this?

The Dollar Stretcher Community Manager

• Mon, Nov 14 2011 10:18 AM In reply to

Re: Shipping Gifts

Brandy:

A member mentioned the cost of holiday shipping in another post. Do you ship gifts to friends and family in other states?

What is the best way to spend less on this?

I ship to 2 children, one in Georgia & one in Washington.  We live in Utah. 

Although the post office will deliver everywhere, the other shipping entities do not.  Having said that, my experience has been that UPS takes better care of the packages than either FedEx or the post office, so since UPS goes where the kids are, that is how I send.  I pack my own boxes, with salvaged bubble wrap from things that are mailed to me, to save $$.  Bubble wrap seems to weigh the least of the packaging materials, & the price depends on the weight.. When I order something & it comes packed in bubble wrap, I just roll up the bubble wrap & put it in with the wrapping paper.  It takes up very little room that way

• Mon, Nov 14 2011 11:10 AM In reply to

Boxes are heavy - if the gift would be safe in a padded envelope (or wrapped in bubble wrap inside a paper envelope), that will save you some money.

Bubble wrap is nice and light for padding.  Also, a ton of plastic grocery bags make nice light padding as well (and free).

If you have to use a box, use the smallest box your items will fit inside to save on box weight.  Ship wth flat embellishments or ribbon (lots of cute ideas online) rather than puffy bows, so you aren't using a bigger box trying to protect the bows (or include the bows in one little box and ask the recipient to stick them to the wrapped gifts).

Weigh your package (the PO usually has a postal scale in the lobby you can use) - sometimes it would be cheaper to ship with the priority flat rate boxes than to pay the parcel post or first class rate.  You can also comparison shop the different shipping companies if you know your package weight.

If using US Postal Service, their rates are a little bit cheaper if you print your postage at home (you can do this confidently if you've weighed your package).

If you are shipping to several people who live near each other or will be seeing each other, pack everything together and ship to one person, asking them to distribute the gifts to the others. 

*ETA* The post office charges more for envelopes that have more than 1/4" variation in the thickness - if using an evnvelope, and you can keep the envelope from being lumpy, that will save you a little money.

This comes from years of experience shipping gifts, as well as running on an online shop.  I do a *lot* of shipping!

I hope that helps!

• Mon, Nov 14 2011 3:50 PM In reply to

• Juana
    • Top 200 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Sat, Aug 13 2011
    • Cincinnati
    • Posts 180

I'm shipping gifts to family this year because I'm flying for Christmas and refuse to pay $50 round trip for checked luggage. My plan is to order on Amazon and have the orders shipped to my parents' house- most shipping is free if you order $25 or more. Otherwise, I'm waiting for the Cyber Monday sales where most retailer websites offer free shipping.

I'll either buy wrapping paper when I get there... or just give the gifts in the shipping boxes since my family is low maintenance like that! Cool

• Mon, Nov 14 2011 5:19 PM In reply to

Good luck on that, LOL!

The smaller and lighter, the better, I'm almost to the point where I'd rather send gift cards.

www.dodgeandweave.blogspot.com
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us