Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

The Dollar Stretcher Community has a new home!

Feel free to read the great frugal living tips, ideas and discussions readers and community members have posted here. But if you'd like to post something or start a discussion, please click here to go over to our new community site and create an account.

Please contact Brandy@stretcher.com for questions about these forums.

Finding Good Used Clothes for Boys

Last post Tue, Nov 8 2011 11:30 AM by haverwench. 5 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Tue, Nov 1 2011 6:14 PM

• Brandy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Mar 28 2007
    • Saving in South Mississippi
    • Posts 25,145

Finding Good Used Clothes for Boys

A reader has contacted the Dollar Stretcher with a problem in locating second hand clothes for boys. I sympathise as I have had the same problem finding clothes for my son at thrift stores when he was in the age range of the reader's sons. Where do you find clothes that are in good shape for boys?

I have no trouble finding good used clothing for my nearly 2 year old daughter, but find it nearly impossible to find suitable used clothing at yard sales, consignment stores, or thrift stores for my two boys, ages 8 and 12. Now that my 12 year old is bigger, I occasionally find small men's clothing for him. The very few things I find for my 8 year old are so ratty. The queen of tightwaddery seems to clothe all of her children with yard sale finds, but I can't. What am I doing wrong? How can I find good used clothing and shoes for my boys?
    Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks,
    A.G.

The Dollar Stretcher Community Manager

• Thu, Nov 3 2011 10:00 AM In reply to

• grame
    • Top 50 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Tue, Feb 22 2011
    • Kingdom of Callaway
    • Posts 1,950

Re: Finding Good Used Clothes for Boys

Most sheltered workshops in our area have their own resale shops.  That is were I find a lot of jeans for GSs.  Least expensive, best shape too.  Give them a call.  I've found jeans for under a dollar.

I declare to you that woman must not depend upon the protection of man, but must be taught to protect herself, and there I take my stand. ~Susan B. Anthony
  • Thu, Nov 3 2011 10:15 AM In reply to

I am starting to find this with my boys. The older they get, the harder it becomes to find gently used clothing. I have now started asking friends with older boys for hand-me downs (I offer to buy from them). A friend up the street has a 9 year old boy and she set aside 3-4 pair of pants/jeans, 3-4 shirts and a couple sweaters for my 7 year old. I know they are in excellent condition so my son has "nice" things. And she wouldn't let me pay for them!!! Then, I get hand me downs from my nephew which may be a bit more worn but I cull through and look for the best things. Right now, my son has more clothes than he needs and I have only purchased 2 pair of jeans!

Asking friends with older sons (and family) is how I've done it for the past year. Then I can hand these down to my 5 year old in a couple of years.

Also, I have found that consignment shops have better quality merchandise than our area thrift/goodwill stores (IMHO). Once Upon a Child is a chain that I really do use a lot. You pay a bit more than 25 cents for an item but for things that both my boys can wear, I'm ok paying $3 for a pair of jeans (but there are expensive items I wouldn't buy like $10 for "designer" jeans!). Plus, if you consign with them, you can get free clothes plus they have great sales if you are on the email list. I just took 3 tubs of DD clothes. They told me it was worth $90. Did I want that in a check or merchandise or both? So I shopped and picked up jeans for my oldest, boots for my DD, 2 jackets for my middle son (who will only wear "hoodies") and some toys and books for gifts. I still walked out with $60+ and a bag of great items.

good luck! It's expensive trying to keep growing boys in nice clothes but it can be done!

Erika
  • Thu, Nov 3 2011 10:43 AM In reply to

For pants go to Sears, when they pants rip or fade you can exchange them with receipt. The same for shoes. Clearance, resale shops are best. I hardly find anything at our thrift shop for kids 8 and older in good condition for the price they sell. We have older cousins and hand me downs have helped until age 14. Past that age, I have to spend $$$. It can get expensive but I figure when they work they get a job they can pay for half of their clothes. I am not there yet.
  • Thu, Nov 3 2011 10:53 AM In reply to

• MarthaMFI
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Wed, Apr 16 2008
    • New Westminster, BC, Canada
    • Posts 10,850

The nice thing is that it seems they need less clothes as they get older at least for me!  ds goes though alot.  me..hand me downs, thrift stores plus shop the sales. I find clothes at end of season sales for less then value village. 

Officially recognized Stretchpert in Hobbies and Crafts
  • Tue, Nov 8 2011 11:30 AM In reply to

Perhaps "gently used" boys' clothes are harder to find because boys just aren't as gentle on clothes. :-)

I have a couple of suggestions not previously mentioned:

1) EBay. Individual items tend to be pricier than at most thrift shops, but if you buy "lots" you can get a good price per piece. EBay lets you search by size, clothing type and price range, so you can narrow down the list to just what you're looking for.

2) ThredUP. This is kind of like eBay, but it's only for kids' clothes. You can buy and sell boxes of outgrown clothes from other parents. The site sends you the boxes for free, but you have to pay $11 shipping for each box you buy. They say this works out to about $2 per garment.

Shoes are harder, since they really need to be tried on. You might just have to bite the bullet and buy them new from your local Payless or BigBoxMart. This may not cost much more than secondhand if you keep an eye out for sales.

My Ecofrugal Living blog: ecofrugality.blogspot.com
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)

The Dollar Stretcher has a new community!

Feel free to read the great frugal living tips, ideas and discussions readers and community members have posted here. But if you'd like to post something or start a discussion, please click here to go over to our new community site and create an account.

About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us