Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

Saving on Firewood

Last post 10-26-2011 8:17 PM by sissy. 5 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 10-26-2011 9:55 AM

• Brandy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-28-2007
    • Saving in South Mississippi
    • Posts 25,145

Saving on Firewood

Heating with firewood can save money but even wood has gone up if you have to buy it. How do you reduce your costs on wood...are you cutting logs, finding sellers who are willing to bargain?

The Dollar Stretcher Community Manager

• 10-26-2011 9:59 AM In reply to

Re: Saving on Firewood

We have a seller who's price is very good and who gives way more than a cord. So for us it isn't just about how much it costs it's about how much we get. This year we didn't start the woodstove until we really had to whereas in past years I would start it at the first sign of chilly weather.
    Hell hath no fury like a woman who has lost her coupons
  • 10-26-2011 10:37 AM In reply to

We buy from a local farmer that sells wood. we keep our ears tuned for anyone with a tree down that wants to get rid of it. Last year we got two medium size trees for free.   This year we have spent $800 on wood, We will use a little oil but not a lot. This is way cheaper than when we just had oil. Babs

Officially recognized Stretchpert in Prayer Circle
  • 10-26-2011 5:09 PM In reply to

Wood isn't our primary heating source, so we've gotten by using wood from free sources.  We live in a surburban area where not everyone has fireplaces (or wood burning ones) , some neighbors (and relatives) have given us fallen limbs or let DH cut up smaller fallen trees to get rid of them.   A couple of times, we've driven by a house that had wood stacked at the curb for trash pickup ... the owners are more than happy to see us take it away.  

We have some wood from our own trees, too  ... we're never hurting for kindling, LOL

• 10-26-2011 7:23 PM In reply to

• gayla50
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on 09-24-2007
    • Western North Carolina
    • Posts 8,491

we are surrounded by National forest and have permit  ( cost $10 a year) to pick up dead fall and branches ..  we have alot of trees ourselves .. we havent ever had to buy wood ..  DH and Boys do sell wood, and we give alot away to the elderly and disabled .  We do have central heat and air ..  but we love a wood fire and I have a wood cook stove which we love I have to admit a pot of coocoa always on and I 'll have a pot of beans on and biscuit wow you havent lived until you bake biscuits in a stove .

Gayla

Officially Recognized Stretchpert in Frugal Food and Cooking and in Slow Cooker Foods

Purpose is what gives life a meaning
  • 10-26-2011 8:17 PM In reply to

If powers out got a generator and a propaine type heater that is left on heats the intire appartment the tank is inside with the tent heat quiet coxy otherwise I hit up mom and dads house and generator is outside that is for the freezor and fridge other things I live with out but not with out my babbies.

chrissanne
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us