Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

Getting Rid of Ants

Last post 01-07-2012 10:41 AM by Anne Lyken-Garner. 4 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 10-24-2011 1:04 PM

• Brandy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-28-2007
    • Saving in South Mississippi
    • Posts 25,145

Getting Rid of Ants

A reader needs help with ants. What insecticides and home solutions have worked for you?

"We live in florida and have ants of all kinds in our yard! Help!!!!!"

The Dollar Stretcher Community Manager

• 10-24-2011 6:04 PM In reply to

Re: Getting Rid of Ants

We had ants all around the sink early this summer.  I actually sprinkled cinnamon on the counters and it worked!  Every spring my grandmother would draw a chalk line in front of her doors and on the concrete foundation of the house and she never had ants.  I know tis is no solution for the fire ants in a yard but I thought I'd pass it along.

re-tired

• 10-24-2011 7:09 PM In reply to

gee we still dealing with the problem we set out garlic to chalk stuff ant spray to ant traps we are still doing that my dad is to cheap to call the guy to spray around the house foundation he blow the money for his mandelins and fiddles but when it comes to that no he never did I shelled over my car money just to get the extermentor here but no dad does not want it he is a duffus.

• 10-25-2011 12:13 AM In reply to

I use Tero, which is mostly boric acid, but it's easier to use, and I can keep it out of the cat's reach.   I believe they make ant traps for outside use.   Though if she's got fire ants, I'd suggest calling an exterminator.

• 01-07-2012 10:41 AM In reply to

Of course, there are ants powder you can buy, but what has worked for me is a simple and cheap solution. I put salt on the threshold outside the door to stop them coming inside. Just place a line of salt outside your door and window sill (if the ants come in from there). You have to re-apply if it rains. This is funny, but like in vampire movies, if there's a break in the salt line the ants will walk through this. Check it daily. You really can't stop them from hanging around the yard. This is where they live (like all other insects). If they're too bothersome you can use salt or ants powder.
    Anne's the author of How To Spend Less and How to Teach Kids to Be Responsible Adults. She blogs on http://getconfidence.net and http:ourdiyprojects.net
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us