Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

Getting the Most Out of Cloth Diapers

Last post Thu, Jul 26 2012 8:45 AM by PurpledSilver. 16 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (17 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Fri, Oct 21 2011 10:45 AM

• Brandy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Mar 28 2007
    • Saving in South Mississippi
    • Posts 25,145

Getting the Most Out of Cloth Diapers

I used cloth diapers for my last child and felt I really saved doing this.

What are your tips for the most frugal ways to cloth diaper a baby? Many people think cloth is more difficult to use; what ways did you find to make it easier on yourself?

The Dollar Stretcher Community Manager

• Sat, Oct 22 2011 2:30 AM In reply to

Re: Getting the Most Out of Cloth Diapers

Cloth nappies(diapers) are a way of life in the UK.  Or at least they were whilst I was growing up.  I purchased enough for my first born and just learnt to fold them - they were squares- to the size needed as she grew.  I used them 3 years later for the second daughter and used them as dust cloths afterwards.  I brought them from Mothercare, a baby product store that you can use to order stuff either online or through their stores.  It was costly with the postal charges but the stuff was excellent and lasted and lasted.  My baby clothes - for both the 2 daughters - went to sister in laws back in the UK and got handed down twice- from one sister in law to another.

Anyway the diapers were bleached often and hung out to dry on the washing line.  I used disposable diaper liners and they helped a lot to keep the outer diaper clean.  I forget how much they cost but being frugal even back then, it was a no brainer to use cloth diapers rather than disposable ones.  It was way cheaper to wash and reuse than to buy and toss out.  I also stayed home till they were both 1 yr old then went back to work.

Sally.

• Sat, Oct 22 2011 8:24 AM In reply to

I'll be following this post!

Used disposables for #1 ten years ago, and #2 is due in April.  Since we are now in our own house, with our own washer and dryer and all, we are interested in cloth this time around.

I have a mom who sews, and both of us are on the coupon mailing lists for JoAnn's Fabrics, so we've already started hitting them up to collect supplies slowly, using our 50% off item coupons they send out regularly.  She's been working on making cloth diapers and covers for a project at church for an orphanage in Africa they've adopted, and she's been gladly perfecting her technique so she can go nuts for Grandbaby #2.  Now, this also means that she's taking care of a good bit of the costs, which means we won't be spending much on diapers at all. I just need to know what we want, and let her know!

Kris in VA
  • Sat, Oct 22 2011 9:03 AM In reply to

• Brandy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Posts 25,145

I used cloth on my last child and it was a frugal choice. It also was not as hard as I had feared. I actually enjoyed the hunt for covers and diapers since the choices in colors and patterns are vast.

The most frugal option I found was to use Chinese prefold cloth with the old style vinyl covers that places like Walmart and Target carry. You can see an example of what I mean in diaper in this site: prefolds. There is not hassle with folding as our grandmothers or mother did.

One of the things I got to make diapering easy was a fastener called Snappi that replaced pins. I did not like pins at all.

• Sat, Oct 22 2011 11:19 AM In reply to

• MarthaMFI
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Wed, Apr 16 2008
    • New Westminster, BC, Canada
    • Posts 10,850

I used cloth for dd  a mix of babykins and kooshies.  ds didn't let me sleep so got too tired for cloth.  resold them on ebay so that worked out.   I used the liners too from kooshies to keep them cleaner.   dd was  a heavy wetter so had lots of extra liners.

Officially recognized Stretchpert in Hobbies and Crafts
  • Sat, Oct 22 2011 11:23 AM In reply to

• Brandy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Posts 25,145

MarthaMFI:
    dd was  a heavy wetter so had lots of extra liners

I forgot about those. I bought a piece of fleece at a thrift store and we made our own from them. I also cut flannel baby blankets I had been given but did not need to make washable wipes.

• Sat, Oct 22 2011 11:42 AM In reply to

• MarthaMFI
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Female
    • Posts 10,850

I got extra cotton liners that you stuff in the kooshies.  she peed a lot.   the reason still she had an accident and dh had to change all the bedding and the stuffies need a sniff test. 

• Sat, Oct 22 2011 12:02 PM In reply to

• Brandy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Posts 25,145

MarthaMFI:
    she peed a lot.

We only had trouble with that at night. I had a couple of Fuzzibunz that was a diaper you can fill. I would pad it thick, add a liner and we were good for the night.

• Sun, Oct 23 2011 11:35 AM In reply to

• MarthaMFI
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Female
    • Posts 10,850

the kooshies had a place to stuff extra liners but not the babykins.  my mom and mil didn't like using the cloth diapers. they say they had to deal with them with us and no way now lol

• Wed, Oct 26 2011 8:08 AM In reply to

Thanks for the tips ladies!  I've seen the ones my mom's been making, and they look promising!   She'll be making us a good variety pack to start with, and then once we see what works with this baby, she'll gladly make more.  She's got a cover pattern that the prefold diapers fit into nicely, no pins required and snaps or velcro on the outside of the cover.  She's also got a pattern for the all-in-ones, which have the liners attached to make for easy night time changes. 

Kris in VA
Page 1 of 2 (17 items) 1 2 Next >
About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us