Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

The Dollar Stretcher Community has a new home!

Feel free to read the great frugal living tips, ideas and discussions readers and community members have posted here. But if you'd like to post something or start a discussion, please click here to go over to our new community site and create an account.

Please contact Brandy@stretcher.com for questions about these forums.

Gifts from the Heart

Last post Fri, Nov 11 2011 10:42 AM by Lee. 14 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (15 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, Oct 12 2011 4:20 PM

• Brandy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Mar 28 2007
    • Saving in South Mississippi
    • Posts 25,145

Gifts from the Heart

How are your homemade gifts coming along? What are you making and giving?

The Dollar Stretcher Community Manager

• Thu, Oct 13 2011 9:59 AM In reply to

• Lee
    • Top 75 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Thu, Jul 23 2009
    • Texas
    • Posts 1,356

Re: Gifts from the Heart

I finished the stockings for my DS's family and plan to give them to them Thanksgiving Day. I bought some trim and ornaments to start working on tassels to give as gifts to friends and co-workers. DH would like a new security blanket (quilt) for the couch when he watches TV. I'm attempting to make one without him knowing it but it's been tough. 

• Mon, Oct 24 2011 1:57 PM In reply to

• Gary
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Posts 412

If I were making it I couldn't tell you about it! But one of the best presents that I've heard about is someone who did a listing of all the things that their elderly Mother had meant to them. They wrote it up in calligraphy (although you could use a fancy font in a word processor) and framed it. Their Mom said it was the most meaningful gift that she had ever gotten!
  • Mon, Oct 24 2011 4:43 PM In reply to

• Brandy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Posts 25,145

Gary:
    They wrote it up in calligraphy (although you could use a fancy font in a word processor) and framed it

Those are nice gifts.

One I rememer is an anniversary gift my cousin made. She wrote a poem and then the special fonts and printed then framed it for her husband.

I will be making food baskets again this year.

• Mon, Oct 24 2011 4:44 PM In reply to

• Brandy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Posts 25,145

Gary:
    They wrote it up in calligraphy (although you could use a fancy font in a word processor) and framed it

Those are nice gifts.

One I rememer is an anniversary gift my cousin made. She wrote a poem and then the special fonts and printed then framed it for her husband.

I will be making food baskets again this year.

• Mon, Oct 24 2011 7:16 PM In reply to

I use to do things like that and homemade goodies and a tag on it stuff from the heart no one wanted it so gave it tossed the suckers no more they just get the meaning of life a kick in the keyster and a gift card only.

• Mon, Oct 24 2011 7:39 PM In reply to

• gayla50
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Mon, Sep 24 2007
    • Western North Carolina
    • Posts 8,491

I have decided on the cookie I going to make for the cookie tins and what candy I am going to make

I have finished up my inventory for Baking supplies .. and all are purchased or ordered .

now waiting and planning the week of baking , and making candy .

Gayla

Officially Recognized Stretchpert in Frugal Food and Cooking and in Slow Cooker Foods

Purpose is what gives life a meaning
  • Thu, Oct 27 2011 6:14 AM In reply to

We only exchange gifts with a few families and they all request my homemade pumpkin bars every year. Personally I'd love to make something more "Christmas-y" like Christmas cookies or gingerbread, but they really love those, so I continue to make them every year. They are pretty time consuming to make, as are most homemade baked goods, so maybe that is why.

At times I feel guilty because the recipe calls for a cup of oil and a cup of sugar, eesh! But that's what they start asking for every autumn, and some request it when I see them at Thanksgiving. haha

• Thu, Oct 27 2011 6:08 PM In reply to

I have maybe 2 more batches of jam left to do and I'm mostly done with making gifts.  There will be some baking for family events and bake sales, but not too much.

• Thu, Oct 27 2011 7:22 PM In reply to

Gary:
    If I were making it I couldn't tell you about it! But one of the best presents that I've heard about is someone who did a listing of all the things that their elderly Mother had meant to them. They wrote it up in calligraphy (although you could use a fancy font in a word processor) and framed it. Their Mom said it was the most meaningful gift that she had ever gotten!

ditto

chrissanne
Page 1 of 2 (15 items) 1 2 Next >

The Dollar Stretcher has a new community!

Feel free to read the great frugal living tips, ideas and discussions readers and community members have posted here. But if you'd like to post something or start a discussion, please click here to go over to our new community site and create an account.

About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us