Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

Potatoes

Last post 11-12-2012 6:14 AM by Deborahmichelle. 37 replies.
Page 1 of 4 (38 items) 1 2 3 4 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 10-12-2011 4:00 PM

• Brandy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-28-2007
    • Saving in South Mississippi
    • Posts 25,145

Potatoes

Potatoes are a staple food and versatile as well. How many different ways do you use potatoes?

The Dollar Stretcher Community Manager

• 10-12-2011 8:47 PM In reply to

Re: Potatoes

Baked, mashed, fried, boiled, in stews, in soups, homefries. Maybe more but that is all I can thing of for now. We love potatoes. Babs

Officially recognized Stretchpert in Prayer Circle
  • 10-12-2011 9:13 PM In reply to

potatoe bread,potatoe lapka's potatoe pancakes, shepperds pie  you mash it up put it on meat loaf stick some grated cheese on it stick it back in the oven how ever it takes to melt the cheese on top.   I know you can make noodles our of them and put it threw a pasta roller.

• 10-12-2011 10:43 PM In reply to

I have a CONSTANT stock up on potatoes. I love them and they are a staple filler food over here. They are lovely as is or with other foods. My favorite way to use them is to boil them, reserve the potatoe broth and sip like tea because it's potassium packed and delicious and then hand smash the boiled potatoes with skins - I NEVER remove the skin- add some real butter or margerine or olive oil, season and enjoy. Sometimes yummy cheese and fresh garden chives or rosemary. i love fresh garden rosemary with reds! Fresh raw potato juice or potatoe peel broth is so healing. Drink up. Potatoes! Eat Up! I have been buying 10lb bags of white potatoes on great sale each week. I believe 10lbs for 3 bucks. My favorite are Yukon gold, red, white and purple and fingerling. Russet at the bottom of the list and I only buy when others aren't on sale and need potatoes on hand.

I love to occasionally make homestyle pan potatoes with chopped onion and sometimes peppers on the stove top. Good ole' country potatoes hit the spot/ Mashed are a;wauys a real treat if done correctly. I'd like to play with some potato soups too, have used in soups and stews but not as their own yet. Maybe once or so but don't remember. Potato and leek soup calls soon. Sweet potatoes never fail to addict me, ha! Okay i better stop or I will be here all night with potato love.

"Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime." ~Chinese Proverb~
  • 10-13-2011 12:40 AM In reply to

We bake them, slit them open, add some butter and cottage cheese and serve with veggies. On a busy evening, we use the microwave to make them baked. You can also add leftovers of chili or brocolli and cheese to make those fancy potatoes that they used to sell. Quick and easy these days - I am in college full time and have a really wild schedule.

• 10-13-2011 7:35 AM In reply to

Baked, fried, mashed (by hand with real butter), oven roasted (I have a couple recipes that we LOVE and make a lot), leftover mashed potatoes made into potatoe cakes, french fries, hash browns mixed with scrambled eggs, onions, & mushrooms, potatoe salad.  I always keep both white and sweet potatoes on hand. We never run out of potatoes.  I love the Yukon gold ones but they are usually more expensive so I only purchase them once in a while if I find them on a good sale. 

When your outgo exceeds your income, your upkeep is your downfall. - Unknown
  • 10-13-2011 8:57 AM In reply to

babs:

Baked, mashed, fried, boiled, in stews, in soups, homefries. Maybe more but that is all I can thing of for now. We love potatoes. Babs

YES! We lovvvvvve potaoes! I love to can the small ones because they make such good fried potatoes.

And donuts! I like to use leftover mashed in donuts and cakes.And deep fried potatoe puffs.

Michelle in Northern Michigan

"Those who would surrender liberty for security deserve neither" - Ben Franklin

• 10-13-2011 9:33 AM In reply to

Potatoes  yummmmm. I am Irish  enough said

Jakiepoo
  • 10-13-2011 2:02 PM In reply to

• Brandy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-28-2007
    • Saving in South Mississippi
    • Posts 25,145

Has anyone ever tried to make their own scalloped or au gratin potatoes? I have never tried but I am interested.

The Dollar Stretcher Community Manager

• 10-13-2011 2:13 PM In reply to

• kjathena
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 06-07-2011
    • Tampa Bay Area
    • Posts 49

last night I wasn't feeling upto cooking a big meal so we tried something new. Baked potatoes in the microwave topped with a can of bean-less chili from the food pantry and topped with cheese...it was really good. Will have to remember to freeze some chili base next time I make from scratch (or watch for a supper sale on canned) Have also topped baked potatoes with broccoli and homemade cheese sauce or ??? a-la king.
    Empathy is caught not taught....say what you mean and mean what you say...just dont say it mean
Page 1 of 4 (38 items) 1 2 3 4 Next >
About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us