Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

Markdown Meat.

Last post Tue, May 29 2012 11:52 PM by zohnerfarms. 24 replies.
Page 1 of 3 (25 items) 1 2 3 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Sat, Oct 8 2011 9:56 PM

Markdown Meat.

Markdown meat - that one of a kind frugal find! Everyone loves a good bargain.

This is a tips and advice post for selecting, purchasing and storing mark down meat. Please share how you get your markdown-meat ON. Good topics to address: what you look for when selecting mark down meat --- prices you feel are good bargains for selected meat --- how you prep your meat for preserving/freezing --- how you package your meat for freezing --- how long you stretch storage for --- anything else that has to do with selecting, purchasing and storing mark down/ready to use meat???

"Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime." ~Chinese Proverb~
  • Sat, Oct 8 2011 10:08 PM In reply to

Re: Markdown Meat.

When purchasing mark down meat I have learned to ALWAYS:

1. Check the expiration date. I prefer to buy markdown meat that still has a few good days on it even though I am going to either go home and use it that night or freeze it directly after I get home.
    2. Check the packaging to make sure there are no rips/tears/holes or what not
    3. Examine the meat as best as I can in it's original packaging. I make sure the color seems okay, meat is in tact, no odd smells from whatever is sniffable lol and try to feel the texture of it as best as I can

As for pricning, it depends on the meat selction but I aim to spend 1/2 to 3/4th of what it would originally sell for in the store at that time. I scout out multiple store ad circulars prior to shopping so I know what stores have the best deals. Markdown meat is not always the best value, there may be a store having a killer good sale where you can find the same amount of meat as a markdown package sold at a non-sale store, for close to the same price. I like to know what I am getting into prior to purchasing so I can get the best value.

When I get home I will either wash off and use that same night or I will freeze it and just toss it in it's original packaging into the freezer with a plastic produce bag wrapped around the package. I'm wondering if I should be taking it out of the packaging, washing the meat and then returning it to freezer safe containers/packaging I have at home and popping that in the freezer??? Does anyone here do this? What kind of storage containers/packing are you using???

Would love to hear your answers to all the issues above and anything else you'd like to chip in. It really helps.

"Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime." ~Chinese Proverb~
  • Sat, Oct 8 2011 11:10 PM In reply to

BargainBinge:
    As for pricning, it depends on the meat selction but I aim to spend 1/2 to 3/4th of what it would originally sell for in the store at that time. I scout out multiple store ad circulars prior to shopping so I know what stores have the best deals.

When we lived in Idaho, we were within 1/4 mile of an Albertson's.  I learned that the store put out the meat that would "expire" in the next 24 hours about 10am, & I was there to check it.  Sometimes I rode bikes with the kids.  Usually whatever had been on sale that week, was what was in the bargain basket, but it was usually less than 1/4-1/3 price - sometimes as low as 1/10th.  I just froze the meat in the original packages, & we never got sick.  All our meat was either on wickedly good sale ( like turkeys at Thanksgiving), or from the bargain basket.

Here along the Wasatch Front in Utah, the Albertson's have become Fresh Markets.  For a while the meat bargain baskets disappeared, but a few weeks ago, they came back.  I bought 9 ( yep 9!) pork tenderloins in Dijon mustard sauce, in a very thick plastic wrap ( like the air-eliminating sealers use) for  - wait for it - less than $1.50 each.  They were originally $7-10, depending on the size. Checked the ingredients & theyw ere gluten free, but not soy-free (which means one of my grandsons cannot have them, so they all remain "ours".  One went straight into the crockpot for dinner & the others went straight into the freezer.  It was absolutely delicious. At the same time, I also found 3 packages of ground hot Italian sausage,in packages that were about a pound, for $1.25 each.  Checked the label - both gluten free & soy free.  Altho DH does not like "hot" meats, oldest DD does, so they went straight into the freezer for her.  When they were frozen, in the original try with thin plastic wrap packages, I put all of them into a thicker freezer bag, & pressed out the air. Next trip over to DD's, then changed freezers, via a portable cooler.

Last week I found 2 turkeybreast tenderloins in mustard sauce, forjust under & just over $2 each. Gluten free & soy free.  Both were in the same heavy plastic wrap & both went into the freezer as soon as I got home.  I also picked up 3 packages of 3 pork chops each, with a mesquite rub on them. Gluten free & soy free, & in heavy packaging. Into the freezer.  Took one out a few days later & baked them for dinner when youngest DD was home visiting.  QUITE spicy - a little more than any of our taste buds like.  DD & DH split a chop, so we had one left over.  The next day, I cubed the pork chop into fairly small pieces, & made a cupe & a half of gluten free "cream of anything" from a mix I have, then added the pork chops & juices.  Heated it up well, then added 2/3 cup sour cream. & took the pan off the heat.  Boiled some GF noodles, & had the pork chop in sauceover top.  Yummy & the sour cream & "cream of" cut the heat quite nicely.  Both DH & I liked it.

On a companion note, Fresh Market does not mark down their bread products, but Smith's does - they always have a bakery rack full of them when I go in, & most of them freeze just fine, too, as long as you use them quickly.  If the bread is close to expiration date, freezing it seems to prolong it useful life by about a week, even if you just freeze, thaw & use right away.

• Sat, Oct 8 2011 11:21 PM In reply to

albertsons is a little pricey but they do that do the mark down here just to make sure it gets threw they have good chicken thats when I go near moms and cindys house when the next day goes threw Im there early and get a good deal once in awhile.

chrissanne
  • Sat, Oct 8 2011 11:34 PM In reply to

sissy:
    and get a good deal once in awhile.

You are right, sissy.  It is pretty hit & miss, & once in a while.  I check the bargain basket whenever I am in the store, but there is not always something worth buying there.  Most of the basket is steaks, not marked down far enough.

• Sun, Oct 9 2011 4:04 AM In reply to

WOW ZOHNER< great finds! I must agree with you and Sissy - Albertson's which is Lucky's Supermarket to us now, has some great mark downs and one of the 2 places I frequently buy mark down meat.I have found some KILLER good jaw dropping markdowns there! My other mark down hot spot is Foods Co/Kroger. They always have some kind of find.If you like pork zohner you'd love my local one... I see huge value packs of chops like 10 a pack for like six bucks, sometimes even a little less.

• Sun, Oct 9 2011 12:17 PM In reply to

• MarthaMFI
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Wed, Apr 16 2008
    • New Westminster, BC, Canada
    • Posts 10,850

awesome deals! we get markdowns but they are more into the 30-50% off range.   some places I will not buy from even fresh  meat. the markdown meat is is discoloured. packaged processed meat that is not theirs like farmers sausage I will.

only good deals I got at a couple of stores was 50% off precooked bacon packs so they were 2.39 each ..yes bacon is that exp. here. reg bacon is $5 a lb.  and half price scheiders hotdogs. 

Officially recognized Stretchpert in Hobbies and Crafts
  • Sun, Oct 9 2011 1:43 PM In reply to

As most of you know I usually only purchase markdown meat yes there are times when I have to buy full price due to being out of meat but I will only purchase 1 meal and wait until the next day to try again. I live in a big city so with in 10 miles of me I have a lot of stores in all directions Fry's(aka Kroger) I have 5 within miles from each other as well as Safeway I have 2 with in 2 miles of me in both directions along with Walmart with in walking distance and a Walmart Market in less then 2 miles from that. So you see I hit many stores on my meat hunt and I check for the best deals as well. A few years ago my fiance moved in with use to be able to feed him all the MEAT (beef and Pork) I don't eat either one so buying both products and sometimes cooking 2 meals I had to shop the clearance area ( my budget for us for food etc is still the same as $300 anything special anyone wanted came from their own $$) example was dear fiance loved Spam and Sausage Mc Muffins like crazy yet I didn't and DD didn't either so to afford those I had to shop the deals (here it breaks down $4.99 for a bag of sausage patties at Walmart/ $1 for english muffins/$2.99 for sliced cheese if not on sale so for $8.98 he had breakfast quick and easy) but back to Meatmark downs they would go like this

Ground Turkey package not the tubes-Regular Price $4.99 I usually could get it for $1.79 on the high clearance end or less $1.49 which is were I usually see it  I would then removed from store package put into ziploc baggies date with exp date and Label w/date frozen I usually would find 5-8 packages and I would buy then all :O)

Ground Turkey packages in the Tube from Walmart-Regular Price $2.98 I usually could get it for $.92 which still had a week to go on their exp date the first time which was in May of this year I bought 20+ tubes as you see we lost all our freezer food due to an accidently unplugged freezer so we need meat asap so I bulk cooked 3 months worth of meal and also left 6 package the were frozen in the orignal packaging.

Boneless chicken Breast- when find on clearance usually under $5 for a package of 6 right now chicken breast here run around $8-$10 per package I baggie them up 2 per baggie and freeze I also take most of them and drop asap into crockpots and cook then shredded and freezer for quick meal ( then use the broth created for chicken noodle soup for dinner that night and leftovers get frozen)

I recently found a lot of pepperoni on clearance at Krogers good until middle of next year so I grabbed 5 baggies at $1.79 and froze them for dd for pizza night regular price was $5.99.

I also will purchase clearance Dairy products as well examples are as follows I usually can find single serving yogurt usually $.69 marked 50 % off  ie 34 cents a cup with usually 4 days until exp date I grab and freeze (or I did until I found that making my own yogurt was still cheaper :O) :O) I use to find quarts of yogurt the same way of the more expense types that range $5.99 or higher 50 % off and I would grab and freeze as well.

I find milk on clearance for dd lactose free milk usually priced regular $4.99 for half a gallon yet on clearance it was 50% off so I would freezer then in gatorade bottles when I found them on clearance and sometime when they were on sale and marked down was even better :O)

http://jayashiangel.blogspot.com/
    http://tactilepleasure.blogspot.com/

Cell Phone Holders 4 Hospice 2014 YTD 18
    Shawls 4 Hospice 2014 YTD 13
    Shawls 4 Hospice 2013 YTD 36
    Shawls 4 Hospice 2012 YTD 21

• Sun, Oct 9 2011 5:43 PM In reply to

Jaya, great sales - the chicken breast is a good one for five bucks. Wow. Score. I love Kroger mark downs. I have never bought meat for meals here from Walmart. I don't shop there often due to distance, maybe once a year for a fun trip to see what goodies and gifts they have during the holidays. What is the difference between Walmart and Walmart Market? is the market like food only?

• Sun, Oct 9 2011 6:36 PM In reply to

Go mid morning thats when I get those good markdowns quick and there I run with it to the cashier I get roast beef because it is expensive here in Wa.

Page 1 of 3 (25 items) 1 2 3 Next >
About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us