Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

Installing a Furnace

Last post 10-02-2011 11:01 AM by karenteacher. 1 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (2 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 10-02-2011 9:43 AM

• Brandy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-28-2007
    • Saving in South Mississippi
    • Posts 25,145

Installing a Furnace

Stretchers, we have a reader who needs to install a furnace. Do any of you have experience with having a furnace put it, DIY tips or costs?

I own a older home and the foundation is on a slab..i heat with propane heaters and need suggestions for installing a furnace..

The Dollar Stretcher Community Manager

• 10-02-2011 11:01 AM In reply to

Re: Installing a Furnace

Given that it sounds like the poster is asking about installing a furnace in a pre-existing structure that doesn't already have one, and may not be vented and/or ducted for a furnace, I would suggest NOT going with the low bid - a poorly installed furnace can cause all sorts of problems, in terms of both money and health.  Call the Better Business Bureau and ask for recommendations; check resources such as Angie's List for reviews of companies and contractors; get multiple bids and ask a lot of questions about size, installation costs, upkeep, etc.  Check with the local power company (also a possible source of recommendations - but be cautious about possible proprietary recommendations) to decide if gas, propane, or electric will be most efficient/cost effective, and how much it would cost to add the piping necessary for gas or propane.
Page 1 of 1 (2 items)
About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us