Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

The Dollar Stretcher Community has a new home!

Feel free to read the great frugal living tips, ideas and discussions readers and community members have posted here. But if you'd like to post something or start a discussion, please click here to go over to our new community site and create an account.

Please contact Brandy@stretcher.com for questions about these forums.

Scrap Metal....money in your pocket

Last post Fri, Aug 10 2012 12:59 PM by gayla50. 39 replies.
Page 1 of 4 (40 items) 1 2 3 4 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Sun, Oct 2 2011 7:05 AM

Scrap Metal....money in your pocket

Dh and I made 2 trailer load runs to the scrap metal yard with our metal piles that accumulate here and made $1100! We didnt have time to get the third load in before they closed, should be a lighter load for about $400. Dh save out the pricerier metals like #1 copper, it's like savings in the bank. If we need cash fast, it's there...especially when copper is high. Right now it dipped to a low last week, so its best for us to hang onto it.

However, we've made enough money since January to get a 1099 this year...but it's worth it!

Michelle in Northern Michigan

"Those who would surrender liberty for security deserve neither" - Ben Franklin

• Sun, Oct 2 2011 9:41 AM In reply to

• Karen K
    • Top 75 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Tue, Feb 24 2009
    • New York Mills, MN
    • Posts 1,327

Re: Scrap Metal....money in your pocket

We do this too.  dh keeps a small trailer outside the shop just for metal scraps. 
    Karen K

http://www.sugarcreekwoodworking.com
    http://www.asimplepinebox.com
  • Sun, Oct 2 2011 10:06 AM In reply to

• Brandy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Mar 28 2007
    • Saving in South Mississippi
    • Posts 25,145

Fantastic! That helps with those expenses that add up when moving.

The Dollar Stretcher Community Manager

• Sun, Oct 2 2011 10:25 AM In reply to

• Karen K
    • Top 75 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Tue, Feb 24 2009
    • New York Mills, MN
    • Posts 1,327

Brandy:

Fantastic! That helps with those expenses that add up when moving.

Yes it does help!  My kids usually take the load to the dump site and depending on the load I usually just let them keep the money.

Karen K

http://www.sugarcreekwoodworking.com
    http://www.asimplepinebox.com
  • Sun, Oct 2 2011 10:40 AM In reply to

lucky kids...wil you adopt me????Smile

• Sun, Oct 2 2011 9:33 PM In reply to

I recycle metal with my oldest granddaughter.  She saves all the food cans & soda cans & any other metal that comes her way, then I add our cans, and scrap metal that comes my way & I take it to the recycler for her.  She is 12, and lives out in the country with no other way to make pocket money, so I told her if she would recycle with me, she can have the money. I usually only get a couple of dollars a month, at the most, but it is money that she would otherwise not have & it helps her learn to budget & to save.  She pays her tithing, then puts half of what is left in her savings account in the bank, & can spend half.  She usually saves the spending money for a book she wants.

• Mon, Oct 3 2011 7:45 AM In reply to

Our scrap metal comes in larger forms.....furnaces, boilers, air condioners, metal cuttings, piping, etc. We usually keep a dump site in the woods jut for metal and when we have the time we take a load in. Now that we have our home up for sale we are cleaning that out.

• Mon, Oct 3 2011 11:35 AM In reply to

• MarthaMFI
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Wed, Apr 16 2008
    • New Westminster, BC, Canada
    • Posts 10,850

wow that is a good deal. we don't have enough metal here to make it worth it. I suggested taking the iron birdcage to scrap but dh said it wasn't worth it.   we have a big problem of people stealing metal like copper out of telephone wire, out of new buildings etc. 

Officially recognized Stretchpert in Hobbies and Crafts
  • Mon, Oct 3 2011 2:08 PM In reply to

here too...people steal the copper wire from job sites if not locked up.

If you only have a little bit of scrap and you just want it gone, there are poeple on craigslist that advertise scrap pick up. Some poeple collect scrap for their income, that's why after $600 the scrap yard issues a 1099 for taxes.

• Mon, Oct 3 2011 10:19 PM In reply to

• MarthaMFI
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Wed, Apr 16 2008
    • New Westminster, BC, Canada
    • Posts 10,850

it is a cage we paid for with our new cockatiel..a fancy iron round one that is more of a gardenhouse ornament not a proper birdcage.  need to put it on craigslist for sale.

Officially recognized Stretchpert in Hobbies and Crafts
Page 1 of 4 (40 items) 1 2 3 4 Next >

The Dollar Stretcher has a new community!

Feel free to read the great frugal living tips, ideas and discussions readers and community members have posted here. But if you'd like to post something or start a discussion, please click here to go over to our new community site and create an account.

About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us