Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

The Dollar Stretcher Community has a new home!

Feel free to read the great frugal living tips, ideas and discussions readers and community members have posted here. But if you'd like to post something or start a discussion, please click here to go over to our new community site and create an account.

Please contact Brandy@stretcher.com for questions about these forums.

Small Space Storage Ideas?

Last post Thu, Aug 9 2012 12:18 PM by Juneflower. 28 replies.
Page 1 of 3 (29 items) 1 2 3 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Tue, Sep 27 2011 3:08 PM

Small Space Storage Ideas?

Help....I am moving down to a smaller home yet again and i thought this one was little, but the new one has NO CLOSETS! None. No closets in the bedrooms, main rooms, or laundry room...anywhere! What did people use to do with their coats and clothes and stuff???

We have an addition planned for next summer. Until then I have to live with no storage.

To make matters worse my bedroom is half the size of my current bedroom, so we are going from a King bed to a Full size one.

I bought 2 canvas portable closets:http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002TRK2DW

We have a sizable dresser but the drawers are so shallow...what will we do with our jeans and pants? I don't think there will be room enough in the portacloset for those. Should i build shelves going up the wall? Floor space is at a minimum so a storage unit would not be a good idea. Right now they are kept on shelves in our closet, but would they be unsightly on plain shelves in the open? Help i need fresh ideas.

Also need storage ideas for bulk pantry items and canning jars. The basement is a partial one and more of a  cellar of sorts, I do have a enclosed back porch and a front porch. I have a spare fridge and freezer on the back porch.

Michelle in Northern Michigan

"Those who would surrender liberty for security deserve neither" - Ben Franklin

• Tue, Sep 27 2011 3:29 PM In reply to

• MamaJ
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Nov 5 2009
    • Posts 963

Re: Small Space Storage Ideas?

Cinnamon, have you considered under-bed storage for pants, sweaters, etc.? 

One idea we had but haven't put into use yet - would you be comfortable with a loft bed? That would leave plenty of room underneath for any kind of dresser. Or maybe even a semi-loft - put the bed maybe 4-5 feet off the ground, with dresser space underneath? If you're getting a new bed anyway, it might be worth looking into one of these options.

• Tue, Sep 27 2011 4:02 PM In reply to

Older homes simply had an unused attic space with either hooks or a bar where any out-of-season clothes were kept, if there were any 'extra' clothing at all, of which mainly there wasn't!

There's the old ideas of covering tables and putting storage underneath and making furniture work as storage as well, like inside of a coffee table or hassocks or you could turn an old hope chest into a coffee table.  They also used those old chifferobes years ago for clothing, but those things are huge and heavy and a big commitment of space and energy to move them, don't think those would be for me, as gorgeous as they are.

Blankets and extra bedding can be opened up and put between mattress and box springs over the summer. 

I recently saw a lovely set of very plain shelves put onto a kitchen wall, but all the pantry items were put into old blue canning jars and 'displayed' on the shelves - very eye-catching but functional, too.

More as I think of it - this is a challenge for you, I know!  Liz.

• Tue, Sep 27 2011 5:12 PM In reply to

The in-laws live in a small house with limited storage space. FIL was a cabinet maker before he retired, so he built can-depth cabinets where he could to store pantry items (like in the hallway). Also if you have a bulkhead above your kitchen cabinets, you could use that for storage. As previously mentioned, storing clothes under beds is an option. You might want to build shelves along the walls too.

Jill

• Tue, Sep 27 2011 5:35 PM In reply to

• Brandy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Mar 28 2007
    • Saving in South Mississippi
    • Posts 25,145

I think people had less clothes than we do today.

I second the idea of looking at under bed storage or frames that come with drawers. This gives extra space for things.

The Dollar Stretcher Community Manager

• Tue, Sep 27 2011 5:40 PM In reply to

• Brandy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Mar 28 2007
    • Saving in South Mississippi
    • Posts 25,145

TizzyLizzy:
    I recently saw a lovely set of very plain shelves put onto a kitchen wall, but all the pantry items were put into old blue canning jars and 'displayed' on the shelves

That actually sounds nice.

Old tins can hold ziplocks in them for food and would be nice additions too. There are other containers that would suit this look well.

The Dollar Stretcher Community Manager

• Tue, Sep 27 2011 6:59 PM In reply to

Hi Cinnamonhuskies! 

It's so great that you're back and your year has been full of wonderful surprises!  I'm so happy for you~

Here is a site, that might give you less expensive "ideas": 

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1v/R-202866134/h_d2/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053 

From my own experience, if you "store" too deep ~ you won't go to the trouble of using the clothing nor item! 

As for a "pantry" for can goods, etc. if you have an "inside" wall (that will be knocked down for renovation, or can be repaired at a later date) ~ find the "studs"......take off the dry wall, and build shelves between 2 studs.  Who knows?  You might like it so much, you can make it permanent by putting doors "on" to cover the contents?

Others have wonderful ideas, too!

• Tue, Sep 27 2011 7:55 PM In reply to

A high shelf that you can walk under in the bedroom could be used for storage for blue jeans, coveralls, sweaters.  You could hang a pretty curtain over it to hide the contents but still be accessable.  I have used this trick for stuffed toys when my daughter was younger and we lived in a cramped space. 

• Tue, Sep 27 2011 10:36 PM In reply to

cinnamon, Congrats on your new to you home it will be a long hard road but keep positive and it will come together for you and your family. At one time growing up my parents had a small 2 br. 1 ba. home we just didn't have very many clothes and we only kept a few things in the home worked well for us and we only had 2 closets so you will make it.
  • Tue, Sep 27 2011 10:37 PM In reply to

I have the same problem. One tiny closet and that's it. Most of my things are stored on the floor in Sterlite containers. I could use a wardrobe and a lot of shelving. There is a huge basement, but it is very damp, with ground water on the floor most of the year. I can put things down there in tightly tied contractor's bags.

Page 1 of 3 (29 items) 1 2 3 Next >

The Dollar Stretcher has a new community!

Feel free to read the great frugal living tips, ideas and discussions readers and community members have posted here. But if you'd like to post something or start a discussion, please click here to go over to our new community site and create an account.

About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us