Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

Meals or Lunches for ONE

Last post 10-06-2011 12:34 AM by gayla50. 20 replies.
Page 1 of 3 (21 items) 1 2 3 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 09-24-2011 3:28 PM

Meals or Lunches for ONE

I usually need recipes for less then 4 servings since I am only feeding 2 but sometimes I want recipe that would be perfect for one you know the types.. Pie Crust for one or two small/medium ramikins or  Bicuits for One or two I am sure there are people who are single or feed 1or 2 people and find that many recipes are too large for them so lets share some here....

http://jayashiangel.blogspot.com/

Shawls 4 Hospice 2014 YTD 3
    Shawls 4 Hospice 2013 YTD 36
    Shawls 4 Hospice 2012 YTD 21

• 09-25-2011 12:42 PM In reply to

Re: Meals or Lunches for ONE

I just make smaller portions of things. or make a casserole but split it into smaller pans and freeze.   no one here eats all the same stuff so it happens a lot! 

if I make a 2-3lb meatloaf. I normally freeze half to two thirds cooked for later.   you can make mini muffin meatloaves.  I get dh to bbq more burgers so I freeze the extra for later easy meals. 

Officially recognized Stretchpert in Hobbies and Crafts
  • 09-25-2011 2:47 PM In reply to

MarthaMFI:

I just make smaller portions of things. or make a casserole but split it into smaller pans and freeze.   no one here eats all the same stuff so it happens a lot! 

if I make a 2-3lb meatloaf. I normally freeze half to two thirds cooked for later.   you can make mini muffin meatloaves.  I get dh to bbq more burgers so I freeze the extra for later easy meals. 

I do the same thing.  Things you cook in a crock pot generally freeze and reheat well - I make up batches and freeze in individual portions.  For entrees, I add rice, noodles, or vegetables when I'm ready to eat them.

• 09-25-2011 6:16 PM In reply to

Easy, reduce the size of your baking dishes and reduce the recipe ingredients to accomidate your serving needs.If a recipe makes 6 servings, for example, and you only want 2 - reduce the recipe into 1/3rd and only make that amount. i agree with most here though that bulk cooking is better, it will save you time in the long run which I know you are already aware of!

"Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime." ~Chinese Proverb~
  • 09-25-2011 7:04 PM In reply to

BargainBinge:

Easy, reduce the size of your baking dishes and reduce the recipe ingredients to accomidate your serving needs.If a recipe makes 6 servings, for example, and you only want 2 - reduce the recipe into 1/3rd and only make that amount. i agree with most here though that bulk cooking is better, it will save you time in the long run which I know you are already aware of!

Many recipes don't reduce well.  I prefer to make things like chili or spaghetti sauce in bulk; it's easier to balance the spices.  Also, there comes a point where baking can't be reduced without affecting the quality.

• 09-25-2011 8:09 PM In reply to

Since I am only cooking for one now, I still bulk cook and end up with 7 or 8 servings. I have a variety in my freezer now...all organic.  Taco soup, vegetable soup, quiona pasta and sauce...all freeze well. And I never grow tired of leftovers. Every weekend cook something different and freeze em up! Any more ideas from anyone?

Susan in MI

Susan
    It's all about Love!
  • 09-25-2011 8:21 PM In reply to

MarthaMFI:

Maybe this will work on dad he is watching his girlie figure I offerd him an old corset from the anticque shop the color is pink naaaah he said.  The others in his band might get jelouse of him in pink besides its not his color.  So martha the mini loaf pans will help him eat his meal he hates left overs...lol sorry its one of those bipolar days for me to say this he is all guy no corsets and hates heels normal run of the mill guy stuff he asked for this he hates my cooking he eats all moms so when he is out of the house I get to cook mind over matter kinda stuff for cheaper cooking.

• 09-26-2011 9:53 AM In reply to

• Gary
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-28-2007
    • Posts 409

I know that it's not really a response to the question, but it is a solution to the problem. That's finding one or two singles and cook for each other. Cook your recipe for 6 and divide it in 3. Then bring 2 of the 3 portions to work/church/wherever and give it to your friends. If they do the same for you everyone wins!
  • 09-26-2011 1:25 PM In reply to

• gayla50
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on 09-24-2007
    • Western North Carolina
    • Posts 8,491

Better Homes and Garden , as well as Betty Crocker have cooking for two cookbooks  those might help

Gary has excellent idea I would ask church . or you might know someone in your neighborhood

most recipes are for 4 or more but I did find some cooking for two recipes on line ... that would be helpful

I have a few couple those books would be glad to share .

Gayla

Officially Recognized Stretchpert in Frugal Food and Cooking and in Slow Cooker Foods

Purpose is what gives life a meaning
  • 09-26-2011 3:44 PM In reply to

Karenteacher. I beg to differ. Anything can be added or reduced if the mathematics are done correctly. The quality and taste of foods are not determine, in my opinion, buy how much quantity is added but by the ingredients and how it's prepared/cooked. They also make small slow cookers and cookware/bakeware specifically for these reduced size reasons. You don't have to make a huge batch of chili or spaghetti, like you listed, in order for it to taste good. I don't see how quality would be compromised if you made a smaller batch using the same ingredients as a big batch and cooking accordinly? does not make sense to me. I do prefer bulk cooking but quantity but bulk or small doesn't hinder quality... atleast not how I cook over here...

"Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime." ~Chinese Proverb~
Page 1 of 3 (21 items) 1 2 3 Next >
About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us