Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

The Dollar Stretcher Community has a new home!

Feel free to read the great frugal living tips, ideas and discussions readers and community members have posted here. But if you'd like to post something or start a discussion, please click here to go over to our new community site and create an account.

Please contact Brandy@stretcher.com for questions about these forums.

TVP

Last post Fri, Sep 23 2011 10:12 AM by Brandy. 8 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, Sep 21 2011 3:29 PM

• Brandy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Mar 28 2007
    • Saving in South Mississippi
    • Posts 25,145

I just came across an article that mentions texturized vegetable protein. I have never seen this before in stores. What is it exactly? Is it a healthy and frugal substitute to meat?

If you use it, what it is your experience with TVP?

The Dollar Stretcher Community Manager

• Wed, Sep 21 2011 9:53 PM In reply to

Re: TVP

You can get it Brandy in the area where you find Bob Red Mills products it comes in a bag about the size minced onion maybe a little bigger sometimes you can find it in bulk bins as well ( I find it in mexican stores as well but those pieces are HUGE about this size of small meatballs) I used it mixed with other meats like 7/8 cup of boiling water over 1 cup of TVP it will expand (it is a soy product) I have tried it meatloaf and tacos but it needs to be seasoned.. Usually a bag of Bob Red Mill runs about $2.50- $3.00

http://jayashiangel.blogspot.com/
    http://tactilepleasure.blogspot.com/

Cell Phone Holders 4 Hospice 2014 YTD 18
    Shawls 4 Hospice 2014 YTD 13
    Shawls 4 Hospice 2013 YTD 36
    Shawls 4 Hospice 2012 YTD 21

• Wed, Sep 21 2011 10:56 PM In reply to

Plain TVP is very bland and is supposed to take on the flavor of whatever you mix it with - I didn't find that to be and we don't care for the plain kind.  It doesn't pack together, so the more you use along with real meat, the looser the end product will be.

We have used lots of flavored TVP and some are pretty good.  We like sausage-flavored TVP the best, especially mixed into breakfast gravy; the chicken flavor is our least favorite.  The beef bits are acceptable, but the brand we tried was very salty...Liz.

• Wed, Sep 21 2011 11:07 PM In reply to

jayashiangel:

You can get it Brandy in the area where you find Bob Red Mills products it comes in a bag about the size minced onion maybe a little bigger sometimes you can find it in bulk bins as well ( I find it in mexican stores as well but those pieces are HUGE about this size of small meatballs) I used it mixed with other meats like 7/8 cup of boiling water over 1 cup of TVP it will expand (it is a soy product) I have tried it meatloaf and tacos but it needs to be seasoned.. Usually a bag of Bob Red Mill runs about $2.50- $3.00

That would be a big bob honking sized meat ball to feed a family of eight fueled with mirico gro plant food hows that.

Ok kidding aside I didn't know that and maybe its plant and an egg in it to hold the textured soy bean sometimes that happens.

chrissanne
  • Fri, Sep 23 2011 2:07 AM In reply to

sissy:
    family of eight fueled with mirico gro plant food hows that.

Yikes, sissy, I needed that laugh. You are too funny!

• Fri, Sep 23 2011 7:32 AM In reply to

It is a soy product like someone else mentioned.  I don't see it in many regular grocery stores.  It is in the vegan/vegetarian meat subs found in the freezer section.  I keep some in the pantry.  I buy Bob's or  Harmony House.  The kids love it!  I will make lentil and barly soup or pintos or veggie soup and add a lilttle in.  You don't want to over do it because it does not have it's own flavor.  It is mostly to add a little protein and the "bite" of meat.  Harmony House has TVP in different textures other than the ground meat texture.  I will keep some on hand and the kids will grab a little to eat like beef jerkey.  

You teach people how to treat you -- Dr Phil
  • Fri, Sep 23 2011 7:45 AM In reply to

• Brandy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Posts 25,145

jayashiangel:
    it is a soy product

Ahh. I saw that it was used as a meat substitute but I had no idea what it was made of.

jayashiangel:
    Usually a bag of Bob Red Mill runs about $2.50- $3.00

How far are you getting that to spread?

• Fri, Sep 23 2011 9:00 AM In reply to

We get 4-6 meals (6 people) out of a bag.

It doubles/triples like beans so don't overdo it.

You teach people how to treat you -- Dr Phil
  • Fri, Sep 23 2011 10:12 AM In reply to

• Brandy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Posts 25,145

2ndGenGranola:

It doubles/triples like beans so don't overdo it.

I don't think I will be using it but I was curious about it.

Page 1 of 1 (9 items)

The Dollar Stretcher has a new community!

Feel free to read the great frugal living tips, ideas and discussions readers and community members have posted here. But if you'd like to post something or start a discussion, please click here to go over to our new community site and create an account.

About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us