Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

Teen's Rooms

Last post Wed, Feb 8 2012 12:25 PM by MarthaMFI. 29 replies.
Page 1 of 3 (30 items) 1 2 3 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, Sep 7 2011 2:49 PM

• Brandy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Mar 28 2007
    • Saving in South Mississippi
    • Posts 25,145

Teen's Rooms

Decorating can be fun but in the hands of a parent dealing with a teen, it can become an expensive headache.

Do you agree with your teen on how their room is done? Do you have affordable ways to spruce up a teenager's room?

The Dollar Stretcher Community Manager

• Wed, Sep 7 2011 3:16 PM In reply to

• MarthaMFI
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Wed, Apr 16 2008
    • New Westminster, BC, Canada
    • Posts 10,850

Re: Teen's Rooms

any teens we have had ..rooms are a mess and have damaged furniture so no big plans to redecorate...needs painting soon but that is about it.  

kids wanted to decorate (thick wood paneling in their room) before but not anymore.

Officially recognized Stretchpert in Hobbies and Crafts
  • Sat, Feb 4 2012 12:53 AM In reply to

You can paint a bedroom inexpensively. My son moved across the hall when his sister moved out. We painted the yellow walls white and put up new curtains. He decorated using pictures, calendars, and woodshop projects that he had done in high school. His room is really clean for a teens room. I am going to go buy him some new bedding after I discuss with him what he wants.

My daughter when she was home always wanted to paint her room wild colors. At one time she had pepto bismal pink walls, it isn't easy to cover up when you have to repaint. The next color was pale yellow, then she wanted to paint the wall zebra print in teal and black, her dad said no way. So we bought bedding in a teal and black zebra print. Her dad made her a bunch of wood shelves to hold all of her pictures and figurines so she decorated her room with pictures she took of friends and family vacations. Her room was always a disaster area and we just closed the door.

Riley
  • Sat, Feb 4 2012 9:46 AM In reply to

A $5 a gallon 'Oops' paint from Home Depot or Menard's; a few posters, and clearanced curtains or home sewn curtains for the window. That's what i have done in the past, but I have had boys....girls might be more expensive Wink

For bedding, they had quilts I sewed back when they were 8 and 11; I found $4 black and grey twin comforters at Target one year and they have those.

When my son got a $10 queen bed this year (motel sale!) , i found a complete bed in a bag at target for $35...had the comforter, shams, sheet set and bed skirt.

Got a room size rug for $14 at Habitat for Humanity Restore as his new room has wood floors.

Michelle in Northern Michigan

"Those who would surrender liberty for security deserve neither" - Ben Franklin

• Sat, Feb 4 2012 10:06 AM In reply to

• Brandy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Mar 28 2007
    • Saving in South Mississippi
    • Posts 25,145

I have done for my teens what I have done when they were young...bargain hunted for pieces to use for decor and watched for great deals second hand or clearanced.

The Dollar Stretcher Community Manager

• Sun, Feb 5 2012 3:01 PM In reply to

I say let them decided what they want be it black black black or HOT pink be it posters or maps or fashion pictures let this space be their creative space..don't pick and choose this space as it's there's..Let them pick bedding/curtains (sheets work great for this since they are cheaper then material and simple to stich quickly even shower curtians work for this as well in a tight bind w/ out a sewing machine you and heat/bond the seam w/ an iron..) Look for pieces that have purposes example use a extra day bed or captains bed for a (couch for friend to kick it on w/ pillows) the under then bed area on a day bed allows for pull out stacking storage
    http://jayashiangel.blogspot.com/
    http://tactilepleasure.blogspot.com/

Cell Phone Holders 4 Hospice 2014 YTD 18
    Shawls 4 Hospice 2014 YTD 13
    Shawls 4 Hospice 2013 YTD 36
    Shawls 4 Hospice 2012 YTD 21

• Sun, Feb 5 2012 6:58 PM In reply to

• grame
    • Top 50 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Tue, Feb 22 2011
    • Kingdom of Callaway
    • Posts 1,950

LOL!  A box of trash bags??  When my girls were still at home the only thing they needed was scoop shovel to make a path!  I was too scared to go in for years!  GD hasn't started the teen trash motife, but it is coming.

I declare to you that woman must not depend upon the protection of man, but must be taught to protect herself, and there I take my stand. ~Susan B. Anthony
  • Sun, Feb 5 2012 11:05 PM In reply to

• MarthaMFI
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Wed, Apr 16 2008
    • New Westminster, BC, Canada
    • Posts 10,850

my rule with teens is shovelled it out once a week.  and no dirty dishes or food! because if you get bugs...big trouble.

Officially recognized Stretchpert in Hobbies and Crafts
  • Mon, Feb 6 2012 9:18 PM In reply to

Okay so I don't have kids but I do have ideas because I have 1. seen my fair share of teen rooms and 2. love interior decorating and organizing!

Teens like to hang things but aren't always so mindful or respectful of walls and how they hang things. GET PUTTY. A sturdy putty is better than nails or push pins that do leave holes. Those card/paper/etc/ pin pad wall board organizers are nice too for keeping things organized yet still up on the wall as they wish, just a small mount and they can stick whatever they want on their boards.Closet organizersUnder the bed shoe organizersBlow up bed - air beds are great because they can inflate for sleepovers, camping, traveling,etc and are cheaper than pull out extra beds - generally speakingThrift store, flea markets and garage sale bargains for furniture.

Also, trading with friends can be fun and free.

Ross and TJ Maxx home goods on clearance - some great finds.

Reversible bed sets... they change their minds often, great solution.A desk with storage. Avoid nice or thick wood... teens have tendency to carve into things... or stick things all over which ruins the finish of some materialsIKEA, TARGET, WALMART. KMARTColored light bulbs, teens love these. Most teens want to paint their rooms and it's not always pratical... add some color to the walls with colored light bulbs. You can even get floor spotlights that adjust to different angles and put different colored bulbs in them... FUN stuff 

Dollar store odds and ends

www.craigslist.org for buying or selling

And of course, allow them their creativity within your rules/boundaries. They are given their own space but should respect your household rules.Some teens want compact fridges. I vote no on those. Food build up, dirty dishes, old and moldy stuff --- can all bring bugs, rats, ants, etc. Not every teen is clean and responsible with their rooms and food... a compact garbage can and frequent trash take out is must.If they are to have pets living in their room then set up an area for the pet or things could get really messy. I have horror stories of an old friends room with a ZOO in her bedroom and all over the floor... even worse when she moved out to her own place, it was a literal petting zoo in her house her grandmother was letting her live out of.. Room dividers or panel curtains - often cheap - for shared rooms... www.BrylaneHome.com - great stuff, great pricesNow one of my favorites - hanging canopies or DIY netting in the corner with some oversized pillows for a beautiful and elegant little book nook reading corner... chit chat corner... gossip corner... whatever they wishTeach them organization skills when they are young, they may not follow through as teens and adults but they will have those skills engrained in them and it does help Shelving!!! especially for those who want to display their personal acheivements awards, trophies, etc. These things often motivate them to continue enjoying fun activities they are good at and enjoy. Great outlet, great reminder!

"Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime." ~Chinese Proverb~
  • Mon, Feb 6 2012 10:12 PM In reply to

Creativity? Must be with girls. My boys could really care less how their room was decorated, especially curtains and bedding. The only thing was the video game posters. I couldnt even get them to decide on a paint color...they just said 'Whatever. Not girly."

Michelle in Northern Michigan

"Those who would surrender liberty for security deserve neither" - Ben Franklin

Page 1 of 3 (30 items) 1 2 3 Next >
About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us