Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

Can a thrifty person be generous?

Last post 09-16-2011 10:22 PM by MarthaMFI. 3 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 09-06-2011 6:14 PM

Can a thrifty person be generous?

The American Saver Survey, a nationally representative online survey of 1500 adults, asked the following question about thrift:

Q2. Being generous is:

a)      The opposite of being thrifty

b)      The same as being thrifty

c)      A part of being thrifty

In the survey, only 37% of Americans answered the question correctly. The correct answer is c, a part of being thrifty. Most Americans said that generosity was “the opposite of being thrifty.” This is probably due to the (incorrect) association of thrift with “stinginess” or “miserliness.” As one pro-thrift pamphlet put it, “Thrift doesn’t mean miserliness—it merely means common sense applied to spending.”

Do you think that thrift and generosity can go together?

• 09-06-2011 6:57 PM In reply to

Re: Can a thrifty person be generous?

Amber Lapp:
    The correct answer is c, a part of being thrifty. Most Americans said that generosity was “the opposite of being thrifty.”

Wow.  That's kind of discouraging!  I'm thrifty so I can be generous when I choose to be rather than wasting money/time/resources/etc on things with no real value or return.  Of course those who got my sour-plum jam for christmas one year may believe I crossed the line to stingy.  I thought everyone liked sour jam!

• 09-16-2011 5:15 PM In reply to

I think it's discouraging, too! I feel the same way--it seems like the purpose of being thrifty is to be generous. For example, I may pack lunch during the week so that I can go out and treat friends to something special on the weekend!
  • 09-16-2011 10:22 PM In reply to

I think it is harder for people to be generous with time instead of money.  most of the time  it is what we do for others that counts more then money.   I know my volunteer time with guides and the thrift store etc is appreciated.  dh does things for others which is time not money.

Officially recognized Stretchpert in Hobbies and Crafts
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us