Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

Fast Food, The Frugal Way

Last post Mon, Aug 22 2011 3:52 PM by BargainBinge. 5 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Mon, Aug 22 2011 12:04 PM

• Brandy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Mar 28 2007
    • Saving in South Mississippi
    • Posts 25,145

Fast Food, The Frugal Way

For the times when you have to eat out, how do you reduce the cost?

The Dollar Stretcher Community Manager

• Mon, Aug 22 2011 12:58 PM In reply to

• rolo
    • Top 50 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Wed, Apr 4 2007
    • Michigan
    • Posts 1,932

Re: Fast Food, The Frugal Way

Stop at the grocery store for cheese and fruit or nuts n raisins and an apple.  If we go to a restaurant (rare) we split a dinner and drink water.  If we each order a meal, we ask for a to go box to come when the food is served.  We divide our meals in half and put it in the box for dinner the next day.  Dh/I each get $50 monthly in "blow" money.  When we eat out, we use our "blow" money.  

Lorrie

"People take different roads seeking fulfillment and happiness. Just because they're not on your road doesn't mean they've gotten lost." ~~ Dalai Lama XIV -

• Mon, Aug 22 2011 2:27 PM In reply to

• Kimberly
    • Not Ranked
      Female
    • Joined on Wed, Apr 7 2010
    • Phoenix
    • Posts 24

I used to recycle all junk mail that comes in, but I started to keep the coupons and advertisements for fast food and things like that... a lot of them will have free or BOGO's. I started to hang on to them because we would go to pick something up and I'd be like , "darn it! I just tossed a coupon we could have used for this!"
  • Mon, Aug 22 2011 3:09 PM In reply to

Get water instead of soda, coffee or tea - costs for drinks are outrageous, and they put in more ice than soda or tea (at least, at those places that still serve drinks to you)
  • Mon, Aug 22 2011 3:36 PM In reply to

• kb999999
    • Top 100 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Wed, Mar 26 2008
    • Arizona
    • Posts 950

Hi - we usually pick lunch or early dinner specials - also, only drink water and ask for lemon or lime on the side = make our own flavored-water. As for fast-foods like burger places, you do not have to buy the whole 'value-meal' large-sized = we usually just get the simple burger, split a fry and ask for a water cup (free).
  • Mon, Aug 22 2011 3:52 PM In reply to

If you sign up for email newsletters restaurants will generally give you coupons and free birthday meal offers. I don't eat out but know this comes in handy. I occasionally do take out and look for coupons to use... Our best fast food deal though is a rotisserie chicken, works everytime I need something quick and easy to fix - not really eating out as this post is related in topic but a roti chicken seems to do the trick for many. I also recommend people get the TO GO option on salad bar buffet places or take time to sit down and enjoy a salad bar buffet there... too bad they don't let you take home to go boxes!

"Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime." ~Chinese Proverb~
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us