Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

The Dollar Stretcher Community has a new home!

Feel free to read the great frugal living tips, ideas and discussions readers and community members have posted here. But if you'd like to post something or start a discussion, please click here to go over to our new community site and create an account.

Please contact Brandy@stretcher.com for questions about these forums.

Repairing Furniture

Last post Tue, Aug 23 2011 12:40 PM by Stacycue. 5 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Mon, Aug 22 2011 11:58 AM

• Brandy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Mar 28 2007
    • Saving in South Mississippi
    • Posts 25,145

Repairing Furniture

Sometimes we can save money by repairing what we have instead of shopping for something new. Savings doesn't stop there. Used furniture from friends, people tossing them out or deeply discounted pieces can also be good ways to get furniture at a lower cost.

What do you look for in pieces than can be repaired for less than buying a new item? Are their things to watch out for that will end up money wasters?

What have been your best fixer upper finds or buys?

The Dollar Stretcher Community Manager

• Mon, Aug 22 2011 5:45 PM In reply to

Re: Repairing Furniture

I look for solid wood or sturdy metal.  Solid wood chairs and tables can usually be disassembled and reglued pretty easily.  Wood shelves and cupboards are normally sturdier than the pressed board alternatives.  Real wood is easier to strip and repaint too.  And with real wood, you can always break the item apart and use pieces of it in new ways. 

I've found wooden bunkbeds at the dumpsters in town and pried the pieces apart.  They were home-made.  the boards are now waiting to become a cold frame...so not quite repurposed yet, just reformatted.

• Mon, Aug 22 2011 7:21 PM In reply to

When cindy sold her old oak bed set she clean it up and sold it 275 good brand of a 5 piece set when she had the money got her secound home her hubby gave that to her for a presant now she is repairing the dust cloth thing to tuck under the hard mattress to keep dust out or dose it affect and ruin the underneath the secound mattress if she don't need it or is it there for a purpose to keep dust out and why do they put it there in the first place.

chrissanne
  • Mon, Aug 22 2011 7:25 PM In reply to

I had a neighbor who was going to upholstery school - she refinished an antique chair I inherited from my grandparents for materials (which I bought myself) and one semester's tuition, which was $130.  She was nearly ready to graduate, and she did an incredible job.

If you have furniture that needs to be reupholstered, and it's beyond your upholstery skills (this was certainly beyond mine) I would suggest seeing if there's an upholstery school in your area.

• Tue, Aug 23 2011 9:30 AM In reply to

• Karen K
    • Top 75 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Tue, Feb 24 2009
    • New York Mills, MN
    • Posts 1,327

karenteacher:
    suggest seeing if there's an upholstery school in your area.

karenteacher - that's a good suggestion! 

We repair and refinish this kind of "found" furniture all the time. 

Karen K

http://www.sugarcreekwoodworking.com
    http://www.asimplepinebox.com
  • Tue, Aug 23 2011 12:40 PM In reply to

I like finding solid wood furniture that just needs refinishing.  One thing to watch out for though, is when they're missing their hardware (pulls, etc) because those can be expensive to replace.  The last thing I refinished was a dresser for my youngest son that I got at a neighbor's garage sale for $5.  It was painted white and pink and had been drawn on with markers and the drawer pulls were missing.  I stripped all the paint off and refinished it with a walnut color.  It took a long time to find drawer pulls to fit it because it was an old piece and standard pulls at Lowes and Home Depot were too big, so I finally found some online.  The dresser ended up costing about $80 after buying the finish and pulls, but I still feel good about it because most furniture made today isn't solid wood, and even if I could have found a new solid wood dresser it probably would have cost many times what I did pay.
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)

The Dollar Stretcher has a new community!

Feel free to read the great frugal living tips, ideas and discussions readers and community members have posted here. But if you'd like to post something or start a discussion, please click here to go over to our new community site and create an account.

About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us