Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

The Dollar Stretcher Community has a new home!

Feel free to read the great frugal living tips, ideas and discussions readers and community members have posted here. But if you'd like to post something or start a discussion, please click here to go over to our new community site and create an account.

Please contact Brandy@stretcher.com for questions about these forums.

Sprouting

Last post Tue, Aug 30 2011 12:44 PM by grame. 5 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Mon, Aug 22 2011 11:29 AM

• mum2four
    • Top 150 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Thu, Feb 26 2009
    • So. California
    • Posts 332

Sprouting

Does anyone grow their own sprouts? I have just started growing my own, alfalfa and mung beans. They will be ready in a couple of days. How do I store them....will a closed mason jar work or do they need some sort of ventilation in the fridge?

themusingsofavintageheart.blogspot.com
  • Mon, Aug 22 2011 11:43 AM In reply to

• grame
    • Top 50 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Tue, Feb 22 2011
    • Kingdom of Callaway
    • Posts 1,950

Re: Sprouting

I don't like the feel of alfalfa sproust in my mouth, but we love mung beans.  Great in wraps, asian and on salads.  After my spouts have sprouted, I rinse really well (to get rid of the shell covering), drain and put back in the jar I used to sprout and replace the screen and band.  keeps for quite awhile with ventilation.

I declare to you that woman must not depend upon the protection of man, but must be taught to protect herself, and there I take my stand. ~Susan B. Anthony
  • Mon, Aug 22 2011 2:10 PM In reply to

• mum2four
    • Top 150 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Thu, Feb 26 2009
    • So. California
    • Posts 332

The sprout jar lids are plastic that I have....so your saying I should just use that as a lid.  I think though I will put them in a clean jar when I refridgerate them.

themusingsofavintageheart.blogspot.com
  • Mon, Aug 22 2011 3:54 PM In reply to

Yes, sprouter here but haven't for awhile

You can store in an open clean jar or wrap in a paper towel and store loosely... I would not recommend storing them in a small jar that will cram them though, give them room to breath however you end up storing them. I would NOT recommend covering the jar if you do use one... best bet is to use a tray and wrap them in paper towel and allow breathing space... sprouts often continue to sprout

"Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime." ~Chinese Proverb~
  • Mon, Aug 29 2011 2:23 PM In reply to

• BuddingRose66
    • Not Ranked
      Female
    • Joined on Mon, Feb 15 2010
    • Ontario, California
    • Posts 2

Before eating the sprouts, rinse them to remove the seed hulls. Use a colander with large enough holes to wash away the hulls but not the sprouts (the inner part of a salad spinner works well for most sprouts).

Using a salad spinner, spin the sprouts until they are thoroughly dry (it’s important not to store them wet or they will rot), then bag and refrigerate them. If you don’t have a salad spinner, blot the sprouts gently with paper towels or a clean dishtowel before storing. Eat them within a few days for the best flavor.

(i would make sure they have ventilation... like you would do with your lettuce)

• Tue, Aug 30 2011 12:44 PM In reply to

• grame
    • Top 50 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Tue, Feb 22 2011
    • Kingdom of Callaway
    • Posts 1,950

mum2four:
    I think though I will put them in a clean jar when I refridgerate them.

Not to be a smart arz, but I just assumed everyone would know to follow basic food safety precautions so I didn't write the obvious.

I declare to you that woman must not depend upon the protection of man, but must be taught to protect herself, and there I take my stand. ~Susan B. Anthony
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)

The Dollar Stretcher has a new community!

Feel free to read the great frugal living tips, ideas and discussions readers and community members have posted here. But if you'd like to post something or start a discussion, please click here to go over to our new community site and create an account.

About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us