Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

The Dollar Stretcher Community has a new home!

Feel free to read the great frugal living tips, ideas and discussions readers and community members have posted here. But if you'd like to post something or start a discussion, please click here to go over to our new community site and create an account.

Please contact Brandy@stretcher.com for questions about these forums.

How many Christmas gifts do you give your kids?

Last post Wed, Dec 19 2012 1:49 PM by MarthaMFI. 30 replies.
Page 1 of 4 (31 items) 1 2 3 4 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Sat, Aug 20 2011 11:08 PM

How many Christmas gifts do you give your kids?

It will be our daughter's first Christmas this year and I'm trying to figure out how many gifts to give/how much to spend, so I'm curious how many gifts do you give per child?  How much do you spend?  I know this year she won't really know any better but I figure this year will set the tone for future Christmas'.  My instinct is definetely to buy as much as possible.  My mother always gave us so many gifts as children and so did most of my friend's parents.  I wonder if it varies by area of the country as well.  We live in New England.
  • Sun, Aug 21 2011 12:53 AM In reply to

Re: How many Christmas gifts do you give your kids?

When our children were growing up, they each received 3 gifts from parents,including Santa.One was something they could read (a book), one was something to wear ( clothing - usually something they needed, like a new pair of jeans), and one was something they wanted. As they got older, Santa brought the book.

We spent about $50 per child at Christmas, so one year for our daughters the book was from the American Girl series, the clothing was new nightgowns I made (fabric bought on sale, buttons & thread from my stash) and the "fun" was one of the American Girl doll outfits or play items.  It was a challenge to keep it under $50, but when the clothes were purchased instead of made, I usually bought them at back-to school sales, or on clearance.

• Sun, Aug 21 2011 7:45 AM In reply to

We generally do 3 gifts and a stocking.  Right now the 3 gifts are from Santa, but DD is 7 and smart and she's pretty much figured out the "truth", but hasn't wanted to say it out loud yet!  The stocking is from Mom & Dad.  We probably spend around $50 a year right now, but I'm not opposed to that going up as needed in future years.

Sometimes we get her things she needs, sometimes we don't.  We have already started 2 gifts for her for this year.  One is a Barbie kit -- a Barbie bag that we are filling with Barbie stuff.  And a game marked down from more than $30 to just $15. 

Her first Christmas she wasn't even a year old.  I gave her new pajamas, some baby-friendly snacks, and a cool new toy.  Her stocking had a couple of board books and a stuffed animal.

I think it's important to take into consideration what other people will be getting her if other people have expressed an interest in participating in Christmas.  My mom always sends things *after* Christmas and it's more items that are needed with just a couple of fun things thrown in.  DD's other grandma sends a LARGE box and numbers the presents; most of the presents are pretty small -- like just 1 zhu zhu pet.  I never worry if DD will have enough.  And if there is something she truly needs that I can't get for her, I let her grandmas know and they usually work it out.  I have no idea what your families' involvement will be, but if they want to buy her something and they are asking you what to get her, make sure you keep a list and write down what items you told which people; it's certainly not the end of the world to get the same doll twice, but it helps to minimize those mix-ups!

Officially Recognized Stretchpert in the General forum
  • Sun, Aug 21 2011 9:51 AM In reply to

• rolo
    • Top 50 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Wed, Apr 4 2007
    • Michigan
    • Posts 1,932

3 gifts from Santa--usually 2 "wants" and new jams/slippers.  Stocking stuffers from Dad/Mom--variety of favoritie candy, "want" toiletries, son got a jack knife, dds received new flat irons, that sort of thing.  Then, Santa also gave a couple of family gifts--usually a board game and a gift bag of snacks for all. 

Any money gifts from relatives was divided: 12/ to savings for their college or similar, 1/2 in their fund for school needs--clothing, field trips, etc. 

As for giving children as many gifts as you possibly can--why?  

Lorrie

"People take different roads seeking fulfillment and happiness. Just because they're not on your road doesn't mean they've gotten lost." ~~ Dalai Lama XIV -

• Sun, Aug 21 2011 10:52 AM In reply to

Chrallen:
    My instinct is definetely to buy as much as possible.  My mother always gave us so many gifts as children and so did most of my friend's parents.  I wonder if it varies by area of the country as well.  We live in New England.

I wanted to respond to this as well, but was thinking about my answer.  I don't think it depends on area; I think it has to do with mindset and how our childhood influences the decisions we make as adults.

My bio-dad makes a lot of bad decisions, has drug problems, etc.  He bought his love so I got presents all the time as a child from him.  Christmas and birthdays were especially full of gifts.  My grandma was born into a large family and they had small Christmases; then she was a single mom to 4 kids and funds were limited so her kids had small Christmases.  I'm not sure if my mom felt guilt for who my dad was or if she was trying to create a Christmas she never had or maybe both, but I generally had a lot of presents from her and my stepdad as well.

My DH's parents were very abusive, mostly physically.  Christmas was their way of showing love b/c they rarely showed it any other time.  DH & his parents reconciled when he was an adult and he understands better, though doesn't agree with, the choices they made for "disciplining" their children.  It was not uncommon for DH to have a stack of toys/gifts that was taller than he was.  With the children from his first marriage, Christmas was normally a pretty big deal.

Now we have DD, my only child.  And I thought long and hard about how my dad treated me as a kid, how he tried to buy my love and how my mom tried to make up for her own Christmases.  I wanted things to be different for my DD.  And I think so far I've done a pretty good job.  She gets plenty at Christmas, though not a huge amount from us.  We do a stocking and 3 gifts b/c the baby Jesus got 3 gifts when He was born and we are celebrating His birthday.  I know several families who follow the something to wear, something to read, something they want, something they need -- 4 gifts.  There are other families that provides lots of Christmas presents, but it's full of things that are useful that will be used throughout the year and very very little is bought any other time of the year; only as things are truly needed.

I guess what I'm saying is think about the "why" behind what you want to do.  What's your motivation?  Are you trying to recreate your own childhood?  Are you worried about what your family/friends would think if you gave your child a few presents instead a room's worth?  Are you making up for not providing in another area?  It's important, I think, to really figure out your motivation.  I think you are right that what you do early on (those first 3 or 4 Christmases) sets a tone for the child's life.  What happens in the future if you can no longer provide stacks of presents?

Officially Recognized Stretchpert in the General forum
  • Sun, Aug 21 2011 11:11 AM In reply to

• MarthaMFI
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Wed, Apr 16 2008
    • New Westminster, BC, Canada
    • Posts 10,850

we don't go overboard maybe 3-5 gifts plus stocking for the kids. 50 - $100 maybe depending on what they want.   lego isn't cheap lol.   I shop year round so have lots stockpiled at the moment.   like $2 star wars figures so ds will 3 or 4 of those as one gift.  I pick up new craft kits cheap for $2-3 at thrift stores or winners for dd.   we don't go overboard.

I may give clothes but depends because dd bday is 3weeks before xmas and ds in sept so I get clothes them when they need it.  They get about 10 more gifts from relatives, friends etc so they are fine.

they get stuff all year round so don't need to make up for it at xmas.  

Officially recognized Stretchpert in Hobbies and Crafts
  • Sun, Aug 21 2011 11:46 AM In reply to

My parents did not have  a ton of money but we had generally had enough.  Everything was bought on sale/clearance.  We got most of the things we needed for the year for Christmas.  We did get too many toys though.  We got a small Easter basket and a lesser amount of gifts for our birthday and some clothes to start school but that was pretty much it for the year. 

I do not want to focus on the gift giving side of Christmas which is why I posed this question. I do not want my child to feel deprived of gifts but I do feel most everyone I know got way too many gifts... It really helps me to hear that she won't be the only one without the huge pile of presents that I grew up with.  I really like the idea of something you want, something you need, something to wear, and something to read.  I will probably try to do that from us plus Santa will bring a stocking and one gift. 

• Sun, Aug 21 2011 11:50 AM In reply to

• Brandy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Mar 28 2007
    • Saving in South Mississippi
    • Posts 25,145

I get my children three things each. I spent $100 or so usually on each though some years we have really splurged more.

The Dollar Stretcher Community Manager

• Sun, Aug 21 2011 3:09 PM In reply to

• gayla50
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Mon, Sep 24 2007
    • Western North Carolina
    • Posts 8,491

first of all we do shoe boxes for kids . Then DH takes the boys and I the girls and the buy gifts for a child ..

then our kids usually get 3 gifts one they want one they need and the one that we get them .. they also exchange names at Thanksgiving so they get gifts then they get a lot of gift from other family member

then DH and I buy a family gift last year a wii and games .

this year the older  kids want i pods    the older kids have one and the 14 aand 16 year 

I will work it out  I always do ....and this child whio is so  smart tells me she wants a lap I just smiled

Gayla

Officially Recognized Stretchpert in Frugal Food and Cooking and in Slow Cooker Foods

Purpose is what gives life a meaning
  • Sun, Aug 21 2011 3:15 PM In reply to

• gayla50
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Mon, Sep 24 2007
    • Western North Carolina
    • Posts 8,491

wanted to add our Family has really good big stocking .. sometimes the best gift are in the stocking ..

we make sure that our family remembers the reason of the season

one year my oldest said three gift ok Mom  I want  what Jesus got you can keep the spices I just want the gold .

Gayla

Officially Recognized Stretchpert in Frugal Food and Cooking and in Slow Cooker Foods

Purpose is what gives life a meaning
Page 1 of 4 (31 items) 1 2 3 4 Next >

The Dollar Stretcher has a new community!

Feel free to read the great frugal living tips, ideas and discussions readers and community members have posted here. But if you'd like to post something or start a discussion, please click here to go over to our new community site and create an account.

About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us