Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

Finding a Handyman

Last post 06-08-2012 4:54 PM by Kitchen Mama. 7 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 08-10-2011 9:43 AM

• Brandy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-28-2007
    • Saving in South Mississippi
    • Posts 25,145

Finding a Handyman

Robbie writes in that she needs help with some things around her house but worries about hiring someone dependable and safe. Can you help?

I have a problem that probably plagues many older single women. I need simple repairs and easy to do help around the house that I can't manage without climbing or lifting heavy objects. How do we find dependable, safe, reliable and AFFORDABLE help? It is obvious I live alone and I don't want to make myself a target. I have no family or friends I can call for this kind of help. I have been in my home for weeks and it is still bare (no curtins, yard is weeds, help with a king size bed, etc) I feel like I've just moved in and would like to get settled.
    Any ideas would be welcomed!
    Robbie

The Dollar Stretcher Community Manager

Filed under:
  • 08-10-2011 10:11 AM In reply to

Re: Finding a Handyman

Are you a member of a church?  I know our church has a body of deacons which help older women out with simple tasks/basic repairs.

You teach people how to treat you -- Dr Phil
  • 08-14-2011 8:32 PM In reply to

If you can bake or cook, try bartering enticing food for a neighbor's help--male or female. Yes, ask at your church or synogue for help, if need be.

If you live near a college campus, there will surely be kids willing to do "cheap" handyman chores for a good, home-cooked meal.

• 08-14-2011 9:10 PM In reply to

• Bern
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 07-12-2010
    • Posts 2

Also in addition to local Church groups who provide help, the local Senior Centers usually have a contact that will help with some chores.

• 05-29-2012 7:38 PM In reply to

• Alan
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 05-29-2012
    • Posts 1

Hello I have been working for many years. I do have alot of exprince as a handyman.

If you would like please let me know. Hope I will be help full for you. this is my web site.  http://www.budgetsydneyhandyman.com.au

Thank you.

• 05-29-2012 7:51 PM In reply to

Ig the guy is cute throw him my direction need lessons in carpendrty...Wink

• 06-07-2012 12:26 PM In reply to

In larger cities, bonded and insured handyman services are available. I'd still go to the Legion or VFW and put up a want ad. Police background checks are not all that expensive and will save you money from potential losses. I honestly don't know if Boy Scouts can still earn a merit badge on home handyman stuff or if 4H has volunteers, but it's worth checking. My first and only experience with 4H before moving to the city was being taught to replace a lamp socket and plug, and I'm still grateful.
  • 06-08-2012 4:54 PM In reply to

I couldn't find a good handyman-----so I married one!!!!!! He has been doing handyman work for most of his life.I can definetly keep him busy with all the ideas I come up with. LOL
    my blog throughthekitchen window.wordpress.com
Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us