Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

Containers on My Head

Last post Mon, Jul 23 2012 12:56 PM by maziemom. 22 replies.
Page 1 of 3 (23 items) 1 2 3 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Fri, Aug 5 2011 1:50 PM

• Brandy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Mar 28 2007
    • Saving in South Mississippi
    • Posts 25,145

Containers on My Head

My head was not where I meant to keep storage containers. I picked up a nifty tip to store these above the stove so I tried that and..

That's how I ended up with plastic bowls falling on top of me. To reach the cabinet, I have to get a step stool. It's so easy to just stuff things in but then they come down.

Back to the drawing board on kitchen organization.

Where do you keep your fridge and freezer containers?

The Dollar Stretcher Community Manager

• Fri, Aug 5 2011 2:49 PM In reply to

• Karen K
    • Top 75 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Tue, Feb 24 2009
    • New York Mills, MN
    • Posts 1,327

Re: Containers on My Head

I have an island in my kitchen that has wide and deep drawers.  One drawer is spices which I have in slanted trays and I keep them alphabetical.  The other drawer is for the plastic containers and their lids. 
    Karen K

http://www.sugarcreekwoodworking.com
    http://www.asimplepinebox.com
  • Fri, Aug 5 2011 3:26 PM In reply to

I have a cabinet that my husband installed pull out bins in to store our plastic containers.  Before that they were a mess, always falling out of the cabinet.
  • Fri, Aug 5 2011 4:22 PM In reply to

In a cabinet - but all of my containers nest in some fashion, so they don't generally fall down  when I open the cabinets
  • Fri, Aug 5 2011 5:50 PM In reply to

PLEASE!  Don't store stuff you use over the stove.  That is how my grandmother died.  She was reaching up to get whatever and her outfit ignited.   Store the infrequently used stuff up there and get them down BEFORE you start cooking.

You teach people how to treat you -- Dr Phil
  • Fri, Aug 5 2011 8:41 PM In reply to

Mine are in a cabinet.  Bottom and middle shelves house containers and sandwich baggies; top shelf is my blue pyrex bakeware.  This cabinet is on the corner, but it's not a corner cabinet, so it stretches back to the wall.
    Officially Recognized Stretchpert in the General forum
  • Fri, Aug 5 2011 9:19 PM In reply to

some in a cabinet over the stove (nested bowls with lids), some over the fridge in a cabinet, some on top of the fridge, and some...sadly...piled on a table (the ones I use almost daily).  The canning jars are in boxes stacked under the kitchen table.  My trailer has very few cabinets and I store alot of food.  Looking for shelves to put in the front bedroom which is mostly storage and rootcellar.

• Sat, Aug 6 2011 9:35 AM In reply to

• Brandy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Posts 25,145

karenteacher:
    but all of my containers nest in some fashion,

So do mine but I am too short not to make a mess getting them in and out. If I am in a hurry, I just shove things back in.

• Sat, Aug 6 2011 9:36 AM In reply to

• Brandy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Posts 25,145

2ndGenGranola:
    and get them down BEFORE you start cooking.

The things that are stored there are taken down long after cooking when I pack up the leftovers and clean the kitchen.

• Sat, Aug 6 2011 10:03 AM In reply to

Brandy:

karenteacher:
    but all of my containers nest in some fashion,

So do mine but I am too short not to make a mess getting them in and out. If I am in a hurry, I just shove things back in.

I store things I don't need as often over the stove - trash bags, paper bags from purchases - my storage containers are in a lower cabinet  on the other side of the kitchen.  Is there anything you use less often that you could switch to over the stove so you could put the containers somewhere more accessible?

Page 1 of 3 (23 items) 1 2 3 Next >
About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us