Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

The Dollar Stretcher Community has a new home!

Feel free to read the great frugal living tips, ideas and discussions readers and community members have posted here. But if you'd like to post something or start a discussion, please click here to go over to our new community site and create an account.

Please contact Brandy@stretcher.com for questions about these forums.

Frugal Sweeteners

Last post Sun, Aug 7 2011 10:24 AM by Brandy. 13 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (14 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, Aug 3 2011 2:19 PM

• Brandy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Mar 28 2007
    • Saving in South Mississippi
    • Posts 25,145

Frugal Sweeteners

Sugar is sweet but the price is not.

What do you use as a sweetener?

The Dollar Stretcher Community Manager

• Wed, Aug 3 2011 2:42 PM In reply to

Re: Frugal Sweeteners

I bought 4 gallons of raw local honey last summer and have been using that until now.  About 1/3 is left and that's after making nearly 100 jars of jam and fruit butters as well as pies, cakes, lemonade, various other desserts and beverages and salad dressings.  It was 100$ but honey is sweeter than sugar (to me anyway) so I use less.  I think it's saved me money but I never tracked my sweetener expenses.  I also keep stevia powder on hand to sweeten coffee and lemonade sometimes.

• Wed, Aug 3 2011 5:05 PM In reply to

• MarthaMFI
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Wed, Apr 16 2008
    • New Westminster, BC, Canada
    • Posts 10,850

We use honey, sugar and brown sugar. don't really use sugar much. don't bake much and we don't use it in coffee or tea much.  the honey or br sugar is more for toast or pancakes.

Officially recognized Stretchpert in Hobbies and Crafts
  • Wed, Aug 3 2011 5:43 PM In reply to

Mostly honey, sugar and brown sugar here, too.  I do keep Spenda on hand for my morning coffee.

I buy the big bottle of honey at Costco ... I put it in greek yogurt, and a lot of my bread recipes call for it.

www.dodgeandweave.blogspot.com
  • Wed, Aug 3 2011 8:51 PM In reply to

I use raw, organic, local honey only - will not settle for less when it comes to honey. I buy direct from a local bee keeper's house and also from a local vendor at the farmer's market. I get creamed raw honey, orange blossom and now a new lavander one that tastes almost like cinnamon honey. It's the ultimate deliciousness.

Fresh dates make a great sweetener. I stocked up at Sunday's farmer's market... fresh, plump, moist organic locally grown Medjool dates. Yum.

"Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime." ~Chinese Proverb~
  • Thu, Aug 4 2011 9:20 AM In reply to

We use sugar, brown sugar, and honey. 

When your outgo exceeds your income, your upkeep is your downfall. - Unknown
  • Thu, Aug 4 2011 12:34 PM In reply to

• Brandy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Mar 28 2007
    • Saving in South Mississippi
    • Posts 25,145

Maggie Trudeau:
    but honey is sweeter than sugar (to me anyway) so I use less

I find I don't need much honey either when I use it.

I like it for natural and health reasons but I find it rather pricey to buy as well. The local honey costs more than commercially branded options.  :(

The Dollar Stretcher Community Manager

• Thu, Aug 4 2011 8:31 PM In reply to

• Karen K
    • Top 75 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Tue, Feb 24 2009
    • New York Mills, MN
    • Posts 1,327

I've been turned on to honey these last couple years.  A local farmer we know decided to start keeping bees and asked if he could put a few hives on our back property and he would give us honey in exchange.  Of course we said YES!  Now I can't see myself not having raw honey to cook and bake with.  He charges about $37/gal.  We recently traded for more honey with him for some woodworking we did for him.  This natural product is more precious than gold IMHO.
    Karen K

http://www.sugarcreekwoodworking.com
    http://www.asimplepinebox.com
  • Fri, Aug 5 2011 1:07 PM In reply to

• mum2four
    • Top 150 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Thu, Feb 26 2009
    • So. California
    • Posts 332

Agave nectar

themusingsofavintageheart.blogspot.com
  • Sat, Aug 6 2011 11:06 AM In reply to

• MarthaMFI
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Wed, Apr 16 2008
    • New Westminster, BC, Canada
    • Posts 10,850

well was looking at prices today only reg sugar and br sugar is cheap!

Officially recognized Stretchpert in Hobbies and Crafts
Page 1 of 2 (14 items) 1 2 Next >

The Dollar Stretcher has a new community!

Feel free to read the great frugal living tips, ideas and discussions readers and community members have posted here. But if you'd like to post something or start a discussion, please click here to go over to our new community site and create an account.

About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us