Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

July 2, 2011, extra food money on cards?

Last post 08-15-2011 12:04 PM by Brandy. 15 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (16 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 07-27-2011 8:44 PM

July 2, 2011, extra food money on cards?

A friend of a friend, of a friend went shopping and realized yesterday they had a bunch of extra money on their EBT food card. Word spread and apparently everyone got some extra. We have no clue why though. We are in Alabama. Did anyone else get this either here or another state? If you did, do you know why? I am definately NOT complaining, just curious.

~Amanda~
    http://notpoorly.blogspot.com/
  • 07-27-2011 8:50 PM In reply to

Re: July 2, 2011, extra food money on cards?

No I didn't check lately guess I need to look and check it out hmmm nothing to sneeze at there...Smile

• 07-27-2011 9:29 PM In reply to

• Brandy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-28-2007
    • Saving in South Mississippi
    • Posts 25,145

I don't recieve benefits but now I am very curious myself...anyone else get extra money?

The Dollar Stretcher Community Manager

• 07-28-2011 6:10 PM In reply to

Dear Kisses Mom of 4 & All, I am SO SORRY to have to tell you this, but the law requires you to notify your SNAP/Food Stamps office of the overage & NOT spend it until or unless you are told that there was no mistake. It IS quite possible, however, that you have received a real increase, but in that case you should have received an official Notice of Action to tat effect. HOWEVER, I would figure that an increase affecting many people was caused by a glitcth in teh coompouter software (such as malware planted by hackers who wanted to increase their benefits). It's possible tht there wsa a change in State SNAP laws, too. In any event, reporting is mandatory under the rules & regulations of SNAP/Food Stamps. Yours in Him, Deborah & Heart
    Officially Recognized Stretchpert in Government & Charity Assistance

Proud guardian of Heart, a black female Miniature Poodle, a Psychiatric Service Dog

Enter His gates with thanksgiving, His courts with praise; give thanks to Him, bless His Name. (Psalm 100)

Yours in thrift, Deborah

• 07-29-2011 8:33 AM In reply to

• brenl
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 06-04-2008
    • Wayne county
    • Posts 2,425

I live here in illinois and we got no extra on our card. So I would check with your case worker before using. Deborah you are right. If you use the amount and it was added by and not suppose to be you might be paying back that amount.
  • 07-29-2011 6:15 PM In reply to

Thanks, dear Brenl. Love n Him, Deborah & Heart
    Officially Recognized Stretchpert in Government & Charity Assistance

Proud guardian of Heart, a black female Miniature Poodle, a Psychiatric Service Dog

Enter His gates with thanksgiving, His courts with praise; give thanks to Him, bless His Name. (Psalm 100)

Yours in thrift, Deborah

• 07-30-2011 6:48 AM In reply to

• Brandy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-28-2007
    • Saving in South Mississippi
    • Posts 25,145

Deborahmichelle:
    I am SO SORRY to have to tell you this, but the law requires you to notify your SNAP/Food Stamps office of the overage & NOT spend it until or unless you are told that there was no mistake. It IS quite possible, however, that you have received a real increase, but in that case you should have received an official Notice of Action to tat effect

So this could be a real mess as some may not realise they should report it and spend it.

The Dollar Stretcher Community Manager

• 07-30-2011 11:24 AM In reply to

It could be a mess but I doubt it. If there was a mistake it was in three counties that I know of and there are a lot of people. And no one got the same amount either. I read something about getting the max benefit in July but I could not find the reason.

~Amanda~
    http://notpoorly.blogspot.com/
  • 07-31-2011 2:11 PM In reply to

hmm were there any storms in that area with power outages? because if you lose power for so long then the snap program puts money on your card to help replace the food lost because of the power outage!

Did you know 1 in 100 kids are diagnosed with autism
    most of those are boys
    PROUD MOM OF A SON WITH AUTISM

-One of the largest problems with having an Aspergers child is people don't always see a child with a disability, they think the child is just acting out or undisciplined, when in reality, they are merely striving to blend in.
  • 08-02-2011 6:13 PM In reply to

• ZsMom
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 08-02-2011
    • Posts 1

I also live in Alabama and received an extra allotment of food stamps on July 27. A friend of mine, also on the program, told me to check my balance because she had extra. I have searched online and can't find a reason, but after asking around, apparently it is all of Alabama.

Page 1 of 2 (16 items) 1 2 Next >
About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us