Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

How To Keep Cats From Opening Cupboards

Last post 08-02-2011 10:27 PM by cheapChic. 12 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (13 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 07-26-2011 3:54 PM

How To Keep Cats From Opening Cupboards

Install baby locks. Siamese cats are very clever and smart. I learned this trick from a cat forum.

I got them at a hardware store. Pretty cheap plus easy to install.

• 07-26-2011 7:43 PM In reply to

• Brandy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-28-2007
    • Saving in South Mississippi
    • Posts 25,145

Re: How To Keep Cats From Opening Cupboards

Cats are intelligent and wily creatures. I would not be surprised if your kitty didn't learn to open those baby locks, LOL.

The Dollar Stretcher Community Manager

• 07-26-2011 10:47 PM In reply to

Diamond the Bluepoint Siamese who bit my little finger clear down to the bone on my right hand had just about figured out how to do it.......and then she bit me and I returned her to Siamese Rescue in July 2005.

Dr. Sam says that Aurora is just as bad tempered as Diamond was. The difference is that I know enough not to have another animal around her. Diamond bit me because I was trying to hold her to keep her from attacking anither kitty.

Dr. Sam said that Diamond would've bitten me again if I'd kept her. It took over 20 minutes for my cat bite to stop bleeding. Mom was really worried about me.

• 07-26-2011 10:53 PM In reply to

treat her like a child childproof the cuboards I think its a plastic hook that goes inside the cuboard and it gets hard to open takes them longer to go in but who knows with a cat those guys are good con artist on four paws and a taile to go with it they slip into anything and everything.

• 07-26-2011 11:35 PM In reply to

A friend of mine had two cats who could open the cabinet, then find and open the tupperware container that held their treats. 

I've found that masking tape works as a temporary measure to keep Little Girl from banging the cabinet door ...    Think I'm going to have to use it on the hutch to keep Big Boy off of there ...    

What has me worried is that Big Boy was very intently watching DH turn a doorknob ... he's already big enough to reach the knob .. I'm hoping he can't grab it ...  

• 07-27-2011 12:13 AM In reply to

Best of luck ! Your kitties sound as determined as Diamond was. She took to yowling at 2 AM and banging the door.  Mom made me let her out of the kitchen and dining room. She woke Mom up ! Then Diamond took to sitting in the chair lift waiting to ride it upstairs.

• 07-27-2011 1:53 AM In reply to

If there is a crack betwen the cabinet door and the frame, you can stuff something like a matchbook into it to hold the door. My cats do the same, only they go into the cupboard and knock everything out.

• 07-27-2011 10:09 AM In reply to

Small bungees, wrapped around the handles. Or, antique Hoosier cabinet hardware, which includes clasps.  This may not help--I know of one case of a British Blue who learned to lean off the cabinet door and utilize his body weight to open the handle of a vintage Hotpoint fridge, where he would help himself to just about anything. My solution was to purchase large bags of dry food and keep it in 5 gallon poly cans, and to use canned food. With no food items in lower cabinets, the cats stayed out of the cabinets.

• 07-27-2011 10:21 AM In reply to

• mum2four
    • Top 150 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on 02-26-2009
    • So. California
    • Posts 332

All 3 of mine have a fascination with one pantry cabinet door and one insists on opening the sliding shower door, when I am taking a shower and peaks his head inside. 

themusingsofavintageheart.blogspot.com
  • 08-01-2011 10:39 AM In reply to

• bane01
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 06-02-2008
    • Posts 7

Our cat can easily reach the doorknobs too!  He can't turn them but I know we can never change to the lever type!  He does try to open the screen door since we open the front door for him to look out.  If we didn't keep it locked he would have it open in a heartbeat!

Page 1 of 2 (13 items) 1 2 Next >
About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us