Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

A Question about Detergents

Last post Thu, Sep 8 2011 7:38 PM by mesutt. 13 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (14 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Thu, Jul 21 2011 1:49 PM

• Brandy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Mar 28 2007
    • Saving in South Mississippi
    • Posts 25,145

A Question about Detergents

Janeanne writes in with a question about which brand is best for her laundry. Can you help?

Do the more expensive laundry detergents like liquid Tide tend to preserve color in clothes better than the cheaper detergents, like Era or All?

The Dollar Stretcher Community Manager

• Thu, Jul 21 2011 2:51 PM In reply to

• rolo
    • Top 50 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Wed, Apr 4 2007
    • Michigan
    • Posts 1,932

Re: A Question about Detergents

I have never used Tide.  I wash in cold water only, with certain fabrics turned inside out.  I also don't use the dryer to dry the cloting bone dry--I do a short fluff and hang shirts, slacks to dry on hangers.  This seems to work, although, over time, there is fading due to heavy use and very frequent laundering.

Can you google online and see if you can access a Consumer Report review of detergents that claim to perserve color?  

Lorrie

"People take different roads seeking fulfillment and happiness. Just because they're not on your road doesn't mean they've gotten lost." ~~ Dalai Lama XIV -

• Thu, Jul 21 2011 5:40 PM In reply to

No actually era and all is good and so is tide I always put in vineager back then in the wash so that the color didn't fade tide is expensive without the coupon and I used era and all for 13 years before moving home to the parents mom swears by tide and gain they all work just one cost more then the other.

• Thu, Jul 21 2011 7:36 PM In reply to

rolo:

I have never used Tide.  I wash in cold water only, with certain fabrics turned inside out.  I also don't use the dryer to dry the cloting bone dry--I do a short fluff and hang shirts, slacks to dry on hangers.  This seems to work, although, over time, there is fading due to heavy use and very frequent laundering.

Can you google online and see if you can access a Consumer Report review of detergents that claim to perserve color?  

Rolo I pretty much do the same almost like you half the time its on a clothes line called the bathroom shower rail .  Some detergents like era is good so is tempiture all and cheer and tide I only use tide with bleach in it to get the whites done most detergents are good some bad only thing cost and comon sence and vineager mom still does this.

chrissanne
  • Fri, Jul 22 2011 10:29 AM In reply to

• Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Jun 11 2008
    • Posts 169

A long time ago I read in consumer reports that Tide was the best laundry detergent at getting clothes clean. I've been brand loyal ever since. I stock up when there are sales and coupons. I also use only a small amount for each load. Probably about 1/3 of cup for a large load and less than 1/4 for small loads. I big jug from Costco goes a long way...
  • Fri, Jul 22 2011 10:52 AM In reply to

I personally use homemade and love it. Tide is the harsh on your skin. I had an allergic reaction once and they told me it was from the Tide detergent. All and ERA are both good. Gain smells the best of any but they all clean about the same. I was never brand loyal and used they ever I had a coupon for and or was the cheapest. I switched this year to homemade and it is the least expensive and cleans just as well. I have found that my eczema is better this summer than ever and I think it is from the lack of harsh chemicals in detergents.
  • Sun, Jul 24 2011 10:00 PM In reply to

• GerryK
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, Feb 16 2010
    • Posts 13

I found that powder detergents leave a residue that makes clothes greyer or faded-looking.  I now use Tide (liquid) because I do think it makes a difference.  The advice about vinegar is good, and another colour preservative is salt.  Quilters will tell you to soak your fabric in salt and vinegar to keep the colours from running (maybe 1/2 cup salt and/or a cup of vinegar). It works on clothes as well as cloth.  But it is an extra step, and I don't generally do that unless it's something red or blue, which seem to be the colours likeliest to run.That will prevent everything else from picking up the colour.

• Mon, Jul 25 2011 2:18 PM In reply to

• grame
    • Top 50 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Tue, Feb 22 2011
    • Kingdom of Callaway
    • Posts 1,950

DH is allergic to Tide, and powdered detergents are out because we have a septic tank.  I prefer Gain, tried some others that were cheaper but it seems like I used so much more that there wasn't any savings.

I declare to you that woman must not depend upon the protection of man, but must be taught to protect herself, and there I take my stand. ~Susan B. Anthony
  • Wed, Jul 27 2011 10:41 AM In reply to

Consumer Reports did rate Tide best.  The bride uses it.  I use hypo-allergenics for my clothes, and Sun--a cheaper brand well-rated by CR--for motel laundry. Doctor told me NO powdered detergent whatever.  I am afraid to use homemade on the commercial loads because nobody wants to sleep on yellow or grey sheets!

• Wed, Jul 27 2011 11:45 AM In reply to

• Brandy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Mar 28 2007
    • Saving in South Mississippi
    • Posts 25,145

My experience with detergents is that some work better than others at removing stains andkeeping whites less dingy.I have never noticed a difference in the colors.

The Dollar Stretcher Community Manager

Page 1 of 2 (14 items) 1 2 Next >
About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us