Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

Betty's Book of Laundry Secrets

Last post 11-19-2007 2:34 PM by Pat. 9 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (10 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 11-19-2007 8:20 AM

• Brandy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-28-2007
    • Saving in South Mississippi
    • Posts 25,145

Betty's Book of Laundry Secrets

Title:  Betty's Book of Laundry Secrets

Author:   Betty Faust and Maria Rodale

Publisher: Rodale

Copyright year:   2001

Number of pages:  127 pages, including index

"How difficult is it to do the laundry? You put in the soap, you turn on the water, put in the clothes and let it happen"! So I was intrigued when I received this book because I really couldn't imagine how much information someone could come up with relating laundry. Well, I started reading this book and couldn't put it down."      -  Kelly Crespin at Eclectic Homeschool

Yes, this book did take me beyond the routine task of tossing in the laundry and adding detergent. I thought after twenty years of doing the wash and even learning to hand wash that I was pretty skilled at keeping our laundry clean but I found a better way to do some things.

Betty's tips will take the reader through a cleaning supply list to sorting clothes and treating stains to properly washing different types of fabrics and different color clothes. It is this book that inspired me to test my soap as a stain remover. I haven't used a commercial treatment since! I also am experimenting with different laundry sorting from tips the book offered and improving my folding techniques.

"You may get discouraged  and find yourself wondering if you'll ever be able to master the basic laundry techniques the way Betty has, but take heart in her time tested wisdom. "I learn as I go along," she says. "    "With Betty's Book of Laundry Secrets and a small dose of preserverence, sock by dirty sock, you'll master the secrets of of doing laundry well and enjoying it"     - From Betty's Book of Laundry Secrets

Can you master the laundry pile? I recommend this book to anyone who has an interest in improving their laundry care techniques and even to those who feel they have nothing more to learn. It's a well written and easy to read book that has much to teach those still taming the laundry and interesting bits for those who feel they are on top of Mount Fabric.

This book is available at Amazon.com, Barnes and Noble and sites promoting natural methods and frugal living.

******************************************************************************************************************

If you are interested in laundry care then you might want to read, "Doing Laundry the Old Fashioned Way", an article on hand washing laundry at The Dollar Stretcher.

You might also want to join us in the following discussions:

The Laundry List- A discussion on laundry care supplies

Sorting Laundry- Share how you sort your clothing  

The Laundry "soap"-  Posters air their real feelings about their dirty little secrets.. laundry secrets that is!

The Dollar Stretcher Community Manager

Filed under: ,
  • 11-19-2007 12:19 PM In reply to

• Pat
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-06-2007
    • Colorado
    • Posts 14,460

Re: Betty's Book of Laundry Secrets

Sounds like an interesting book, thanks! I'll look for it.

Community Facilitator

Printable Coupons!

Smartsource and MySavings
  • 11-19-2007 12:22 PM In reply to

• Brandy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-28-2007
    • Posts 25,145

I thought of you when I read it, Pat.  Big Smile

The book does have some great tips, humorous lines and pictures to support the written how tos.

• 11-19-2007 12:25 PM In reply to

• Pat
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-06-2007
    • Colorado
    • Posts 14,460

I don't understand why no one else enjoys laundry! LOL

Community Facilitator

Printable Coupons!

• 11-19-2007 1:17 PM In reply to

• Brandy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-28-2007
    • Posts 25,145

I enjoy the feeling of accomplishment it gives me..does that count?

• 11-19-2007 1:28 PM In reply to

• Pat
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-06-2007
    • Colorado
    • Posts 14,460

Yes, definitely. That's part of it. You might enjoy this post I did for Lehman's a few days ago: Benefits of Washing Clothes by Hand

Community Facilitator

Printable Coupons!

• 11-19-2007 2:01 PM In reply to

TRUE CONFESSIONS.......OK I JUST GOTTA GET THIS BOOK - I TOO LOVE MY TIME IN THE LAUNDRY ROOM !!!!                 There I said it-- its out in the open now...ahhh I feel much better...I know it sounds coo-coo but I do really enjoy the time I spend doing laundry and.....ironing ;}  yep you read that right IRONING too - something about all of it makes me feel happy...I love the smell of fresh laundry - the orderly way of folding clothes - the neatness of everything ironed.....

• 11-19-2007 2:05 PM In reply to

• Pat
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-06-2007
    • Colorado
    • Posts 14,460

DEBLANEAZ:

TRUE CONFESSIONS.......OK I JUST GOTTA GET THIS BOOK - I TOO LOVE MY TIME IN THE LAUNDRY ROOM !!!!                 There I said it-- its out in the open now...ahhh I feel much better...I know it sounds coo-coo but I do really enjoy the time I spend doing laundry and.....ironing ;}  yep you read that right IRONING too - something about all of it makes me feel happy...I love the smell of fresh laundry - the orderly way of folding clothes - the neatness of everything ironed.....

My sister! LOL! I love to do laundry. When too many other things are coming at me, I take off to the laundry room. Smile

Community Facilitator

Printable Coupons!

• 11-19-2007 2:16 PM In reply to

Ahhhhh Pat.....

I enjoyed your article posted at the Lehman's sight !!!!!!!

• 11-19-2007 2:34 PM In reply to

• Pat
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-06-2007
    • Colorado
    • Posts 14,460

Thank you. Smile

Community Facilitator

Printable Coupons!

Page 1 of 1 (10 items)
About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us