Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

The Dollar Stretcher Community has a new home!

Feel free to read the great frugal living tips, ideas and discussions readers and community members have posted here. But if you'd like to post something or start a discussion, please click here to go over to our new community site and create an account.

Please contact Brandy@stretcher.com for questions about these forums.

Can This Mirror be Saved?

Last post Fri, Aug 26 2011 12:06 AM by pamiam. 4 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, Jul 13 2011 11:25 AM

• Brandy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Mar 28 2007
    • Saving in South Mississippi
    • Posts 25,145

Can This Mirror be Saved?

One of our readers has written in with a home repair issue. Her bathroom mirror is showing wear and damage. Do you have tips on how to save her mirror can be saved?

I live in a fairly new home, (6 years old), but the mirror in my second bathroom is already starting to wear away on the edges, I think it's called "silvering".  We tried to frame the mirror to hide the edges, but no adhesive seems to stick the wood to the mirror.  Don't know what else to do.  I guess we could try to replace the mirror, but it's held onto the wall with clips and we are afraid we would end up tearing up the wall underneath if we tried that.  Any suggestions?

The Dollar Stretcher Community Manager

• Wed, Jul 13 2011 2:53 PM In reply to

• Karen K
    • Top 75 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Tue, Feb 24 2009
    • New York Mills, MN
    • Posts 1,327

Re: Can This Mirror be Saved?

She could try coloring in the "silvering" with a colored marker.  But she would have to take the mirror down to get to the back of the mirror.  There are glass shops that can repair the damage and make it look right but that might be too pricey.  It may be cheaper just to replace the mirror. 

In our own home, we have etched other images on mirrors to help hide damage rather than buy new.

Karen K

http://www.sugarcreekwoodworking.com
    http://www.asimplepinebox.com
  • Wed, Jul 13 2011 3:58 PM In reply to

If they are willing to take it down, it could be custom-framed, covering up the worn spots.  Joint compound (used for finishing or refinishing drywall) is cheap and easy to use, and covers larger areas better than spackle.

If they really don't want to take it down, and can't get wood framing to stick, other types of materials can be used to frame or edge the mirror, many of them lighter in weight and easier to attach - fabric, lace, fake flowers (either attached to the wall or in strategically placed vases), paper, matting (I'd be careful with the last two because dampness will get into them easily)... go to a craft store and see what you can find.

• Fri, Jul 15 2011 9:28 PM In reply to

Attagirl, karenteacher. Used mirrors are cheap--dresser mirrors free on the streets or $5-10 at any secondhand store. Get a good picture frame or have one made, then have the mirror glass cut to size at Ace Hardware.  Usually the guy who runs the key machine also cuts the glass. They don't charge much, and my Ace guys never gave me any trouble about cutting secondhand glass, since I frequently spray-painted frames gold, had mirrors cut, matched them with old Home Interior or other wall-hung candle holders, and sold the sets for gas and grocery money. They may have changed policy about used mirror glass since then; if so, try to negotiate.

• Fri, Aug 26 2011 12:06 AM In reply to

• pamiam
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Mar 6 2008
    • Posts 15

We used this product in our previous home.  It stuck well and looked better than I expected.  http://www.mirredge.com/

Our mirror did that because we kept getting it wet.  It is a pain to try not to when the mirror is right next to a sink.

Good luck!

Page 1 of 1 (5 items)

The Dollar Stretcher has a new community!

Feel free to read the great frugal living tips, ideas and discussions readers and community members have posted here. But if you'd like to post something or start a discussion, please click here to go over to our new community site and create an account.

About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us