Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

Safe Oven Cleaner

Last post 05-07-2013 1:05 PM by cheerylcanete8. 13 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (14 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 07-13-2011 7:03 AM

• Brandy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-28-2007
    • Saving in South Mississippi
    • Posts 25,145

Safe Oven Cleaner

One of the chemical cleaners I dislike the most is oven cleaner. I use homemade solutions but there always comes a time when I find that I must use the commercial product.

What safe or homemade solutions have you found that works for cleaning the oven?

The Dollar Stretcher Community Manager

• 07-13-2011 7:38 AM In reply to

Re: Safe Oven Cleaner

I use the oven cleaner cycle on my oven. It takes a few hours, but when it's done and cool, I just wipe it down with a damp sponge and my oven is clean! A word of warning - if your oven it really dirty, it can get pretty smoky in the kitchen so you'll need good ventilation.
  • 07-13-2011 8:16 AM In reply to

I'm afraid I've never seen a mess that baking soda and vinegar didn't take care of especailly if you put the baking soda on while it is still fresh.

You teach people how to treat you -- Dr Phil
  • 07-13-2011 1:06 PM In reply to

baking soda and vinegar...I sometimes let the vinegar sit a while.

And i've used "citrisolve" in the past.  I buy the concentrate and don't dilute it too much for use in the oven. It doesn't smell as bad.

• 02-05-2012 3:01 PM In reply to

Bumping up, with a question:  I have a temporary tenant who broils food in my toaster oven every day, as close to the heating elements as he can get his food, and never wipes out the inside.  I didn't realize how bad it was (it's been about 6 weeks) until I went to wipe off the door and had to scrub for several minutes to get it clean.  We discussed this a few minutes ago when he came upstairs and found me scrubbing out the toaster oven with a steel wool pad (a plain one, not the kind with soap in them), the only non-chemical item I've found that will touch the grunge inside the toaster oven - and even it's not taking off anything.  I've gotten a lot of it off, but some of it is so baked on that just scrubbing won't touch it - and I'm not sure about using baking soda and vinegar in the toaster oven, for fear it will get inside the works.  Does anyone have any other suggestions?
  • 02-08-2012 5:04 PM In reply to

this is why i have a self cleaning oven lol.

Officially recognized Stretchpert in Hobbies and Crafts
  • 02-08-2012 5:31 PM In reply to

Karen, have you tried spraying the gunk down with very hot water, letting it sit for a minute then scraping with some kind of plastic scraper? I have a little tupperware scraper, but an old credit card would do in a pinch.
  • 02-08-2012 5:31 PM In reply to

I make a paste out of baking soda and water. I use an old wash cloth to slather on the paste inside my oven. Let it sit a few hours and wipe it out with wet rags. My oven is sparkling clean and I don't have to smell any noxious chemical odors that make me feel like I am having a asthma attack.Smile

MaryB

http://marysdepressionerarecipes.blogspot.com/
  • 02-08-2012 6:07 PM In reply to

• grame
    • Top 50 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on 02-22-2011
    • Kingdom of Callaway
    • Posts 1,950

Darn it!  Saw the title and was sooooo hoping this would tell me where to find a safe person to come in and clean my oven!

I declare to you that woman must not depend upon the protection of man, but must be taught to protect herself, and there I take my stand. ~Susan B. Anthony
  • 02-08-2012 6:59 PM In reply to

lol..grame!. realized I am home all day and going no where so flipped on the  self clean switch because the oven needs it!  I hate cleaning the oven.

What about spraying with vinegar and water and letting it soak?  I do that with the microwave spray and then turn it on for a minute to heat up and steam stuff off.

Officially recognized Stretchpert in Hobbies and Crafts
Page 1 of 2 (14 items) 1 2 Next >
About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us