Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

The Dollar Stretcher Community has a new home!

Feel free to read the great frugal living tips, ideas and discussions readers and community members have posted here. But if you'd like to post something or start a discussion, please click here to go over to our new community site and create an account.

Please contact Brandy@stretcher.com for questions about these forums.

Dark Meat from the Chicken

Last post Thu, Jul 14 2011 7:52 AM by Brandy. 6 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, Jul 13 2011 6:53 AM

• Brandy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Mar 28 2007
    • Saving in South Mississippi
    • Posts 25,145

Dark Meat from the Chicken

The stores around me usually have the better deals on the dark meat portions of chicken.Only the children really like the taste but I have found that this meat can be used in a variety of dishes with gravy or sauce to stretch the budget.

Do you use the dark meat to save on your food expense? What are your favorite ways to cook it?

The Dollar Stretcher Community Manager

• Wed, Jul 13 2011 7:34 AM In reply to

Re: Dark Meat from the Chicken

Dark meat chicken is the only kind of chicken I buy.  I can usually get it at my local meat market for .99 a pound.  I debone it and take the skin off before I freeze. I use it in any recipe that calls for chicken. 

We love it grilled with different kinds of bbq sauce, I marinate it sometimes before I grill it.  I oven fry it.  Sometimes I just boil the meat with the skin on an then shred the chicken to use in enchiladas, to make chicken pie, or to make chicken noodle soup. 

When your outgo exceeds your income, your upkeep is your downfall. - Unknown
  • Wed, Jul 13 2011 10:18 AM In reply to

• MarthaMFI
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Wed, Apr 16 2008
    • New Westminster, BC, Canada
    • Posts 10,850

I buy both but mostly with the legs and thighs I shake and bake or put some type of sauce on it and bake it.

Officially recognized Stretchpert in Hobbies and Crafts
  • Wed, Jul 13 2011 10:46 AM In reply to

I often buy legs and thighs as they are much cheaper. We use the meat like breast meat for tacos, salads or stir frys or we grill or bake the chicken with some type of sauce. When we grill or bake,  I leave the skin on for cooking and then remove it before eating as I feel it keeps the meat moist and juicy.

I eat both white and dark chicken meat and enjoy both.

Erika
  • Wed, Jul 13 2011 11:34 AM In reply to

Dark meat is healthier, it's been exercised better. I pratically only buy dark meat. I find it tender and has more flavor. I post on the dinner forum every night and about 3 or so of those dinners contain chicken from chicken thigh meat. I buy bone in or boneless depending on sales. I also use drumsticks on occassion. I always cook, either cut, in a sautee pan with evoo and light seasonings/herbs... sometimes I will use marinated artichok hearts and/or veggies... I will use a sauce if required for a theme or ethnic dish but preer things more simple. I also prefer fresh and tend to stick to that over frozen.

"Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime." ~Chinese Proverb~
  • Wed, Jul 13 2011 5:14 PM In reply to

I occasionally buy drumsticks or leg quarters.  But I prefer the taste of white meat, and it's a bit lower in fat.

www.dodgeandweave.blogspot.com
  • Thu, Jul 14 2011 7:52 AM In reply to

• Brandy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Mar 28 2007
    • Saving in South Mississippi
    • Posts 25,145

mamasjob:
    I often buy legs and thighs as they are much cheaper.

That's how the stores in my area are too. My children love the legs so when I fry or bake chicken, I will have white meat for my husband and myself while the kids get the portions they want.

The dark meat like thighs are good for stew, soup, chicken fried rice, chicken pot pie and other chicken and rice dishes we enjoy.

The Dollar Stretcher Community Manager

Page 1 of 1 (7 items)

The Dollar Stretcher has a new community!

Feel free to read the great frugal living tips, ideas and discussions readers and community members have posted here. But if you'd like to post something or start a discussion, please click here to go over to our new community site and create an account.

About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us