Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

Food pantry abuse

Last post 07-17-2011 11:24 PM by seaturtle. 15 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (16 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 07-12-2011 10:41 PM

Food pantry abuse

I wrote this before, but apparently I didn't post it.

The wonderful new food pantry in town, here for only about a month, has been cut in half. They had eggs, joghurt, fresh vegetables, whole grain bread and cereals, cracker, baby food, frozen chicken and sausages and a host of other things.

There were long lines, and they did not limit people as to what they took. I saw people leaving with five, six cartons of  eggs, four or five bulging bags full of frozen meat, bags filled with crackers, etc.By the time I (and many others, say those standing in line after the first 15 people or so) were let in, there was practically nothing left.

Most of the people there looked as if they were in need. But there were others, like the teenaged girls in front of me, smoking cigarette after cigarette and talking about how they were going drinking that night. They were well dressed (well, as well dressed as teenaged girls are). 

I don't want to judge anyone without knowing their true circumstances, but it seems to me that people were grabbing whatever they could without any thought of those behind them, and no shame in walking out with all those bags. 

The elderly gentleman in front of me had a sick wife and was there because her medication left them with the choice between that and food and heat.

The folks running the pantry did not require any proof of income or need.

I am saddened that people will act this way in the face of needy people standing in line in the hot sun or rain.

Please correct me if my perceptions are off.

• 07-12-2011 10:57 PM In reply to

Re: Food pantry abuse

I see that long time ago I go when it is needed 3 times a year thats when the months so tight on money that I go to help cash flow other wise I rather not go and see this or I open my mouth and tell them to go home back to druggin or drinking I rather stay home and give it to some one that is worse off like my middle sister tight times for her so I give what I can for her and the little nieces..

Or when I was homless it helped alot because I do know what its like going flat out hungry no fun period hey good topic thanks for bringing this up hope we can talk more on this in the future...=)

• 07-12-2011 10:58 PM In reply to

You are not Wrong people abuse many things and are RUDE...

http://jayashiangel.blogspot.com/

Shawls 4 Hospice 2014 YTD 3
    Shawls 4 Hospice 2013 YTD 36
    Shawls 4 Hospice 2012 YTD 21

• 07-12-2011 11:07 PM In reply to

That's a shame, though I have to wonder why the pantry didn't let limits on what people could take out.

• 07-12-2011 11:17 PM In reply to

It happens all the time which is why they need rules and proof.  But even I see lots of low income people at our local food bank who apparently can afford to smoke at $10 a pk but not buy food. or eat at fast food places all the time. 

Sad situation at your food pantry. maybe they are naive or don't really care if it all disappears with the first few.

Officially recognized Stretchpert in Hobbies and Crafts
  • 07-12-2011 11:48 PM In reply to

The 2 food banks that I have gone to last month and this month require your ID and you are only allowed 1 visit per month.  You have to say whether you are a single or a family and you get given a bag on that total.  The other food bank (the second one) is also only once a month but you can choose 10 items from a list and a loaf of bread too.  Second food bank is run by a church.  I have received a care package today from a girlfriend of mine along with a cheque for $50.  She told me it was an early birthday present.  My birthday is not until Sunday but she did not care.  Told me I mattered more than the correct date LOL.  Gotta love friends like that.

Sally.

• 07-12-2011 11:54 PM In reply to

Sally thats what cindy told me and she showed other pappers like medicare she is on . She goes only 3 times a year only when needed she said.. But what stories she told me oh gee if they can smoke then they can afford tuna cheese and bread and mayo with celery and a bit of onion that is a cheap version of poor mans sandwhich from a can I also do egg salad those people who smoke can afford eggs and bread and butter guess they are not that bad off.

chrissanne
  • 07-12-2011 11:56 PM In reply to

Sallybabe56:

The 2 food banks that I have gone to last month and this month require your ID and you are only allowed 1 visit per month.  You have to say whether you are a single or a family and you get given a bag on that total.  The other food bank (the second one) is also only once a month but you can choose 10 items from a list and a loaf of bread too.  Second food bank is run by a church.  I have received a care package today from a girlfriend of mine along with a cheque for $50.  She told me it was an early birthday present.  My birthday is not until Sunday but she did not care.  Told me I mattered more than the correct date LOL.  Gotta love friends like that.

Sally.

You have a good friend there....=)

chrissanne
  • 07-14-2011 9:28 PM In reply to

• gayla50
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on 09-24-2007
    • Western North Carolina
    • Posts 8,491

the food bank DH founded  here asks for Picture Id  current proof of address and proof of Income

we usually find out if someone playing the system we rule them out quickly an average of 600 family a week we dont have time for silliness .

Gayla

Officially Recognized Stretchpert in Frugal Food and Cooking and in Slow Cooker Foods

Purpose is what gives life a meaning
  • 07-15-2011 9:20 AM In reply to

• rolo
    • Top 50 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on 04-04-2007
    • Michigan
    • Posts 1,928

Sadly, the world is full of users/abusers.  They take all they can with no thought to their "neighbor" that needs help.  

It sounds like those running the food pantry are new at it and didn't realize the level of abuse that will take place.  Let's hope they will get strict guidelines in place.

A food pantry that I volunteered at prepacks the groceries for the recipients--that way it is a much more equitable distribution.  No perishables at this one though so the bags can be made up ahead of time.   

Lorrie

"People take different roads seeking fulfillment and happiness. Just because they're not on your road doesn't mean they've gotten lost." ~~ Dalai Lama XIV -

Page 1 of 2 (16 items) 1 2 Next >
About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us