Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

The Dollar Stretcher Community has a new home!

Feel free to read the great frugal living tips, ideas and discussions readers and community members have posted here. But if you'd like to post something or start a discussion, please click here to go over to our new community site and create an account.

Please contact Brandy@stretcher.com for questions about these forums.

Making a Walkway

Last post Thu, Jul 7 2011 7:49 AM by Gary. 5 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, Jul 6 2011 9:30 AM

• Brandy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Mar 28 2007
    • Saving in South Mississippi
    • Posts 25,145

Making a Walkway

Walkways can be an expensive thing to add to a yard. But where there is a desire to be frugal, there is a more affordable solution.

What are your ideas for cheap walkway solutions?
    The Dollar Stretcher Community Manager

• Wed, Jul 6 2011 9:40 AM In reply to

• grame
    • Top 50 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Tue, Feb 22 2011
    • Kingdom of Callaway
    • Posts 1,950

Re: Making a Walkway

In the flower garden we have large flagstones we found on a hillside.  Thank goodness we did this a long time ago as there is no way either one of us could do it now!

I declare to you that woman must not depend upon the protection of man, but must be taught to protect herself, and there I take my stand. ~Susan B. Anthony
  • Wed, Jul 6 2011 10:05 AM In reply to

• Gary
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Posts 412

It seems to me that part of the trick of an affordable walkway is to stay informal. If the look is somewhat random you can use different shaped stones, chunks of concrete or leftover pavers from other people's walks. Probably a good way to let your creativity show!
  • Wed, Jul 6 2011 10:23 AM In reply to

We have used old bricks, free to us, to make a walkway at our old house. We just removed a brick "sidewalk to no where" in our backyard and have bricks to use again in another part of our property. DH wants to make a little patio with them next to the shed.

We also have used pavers found at a flea market and made more of a "step" way than a walkway. Thank goodness I placed them in the yard based on my stride otherwise DH would have placed them comfortable for his height of 6'6" and I would have been leaping from stone to stone, LOL. When we moved, we took the pavers with us and found a use for them on the side of our garage where we keep the garbage cans.

I've seen walkways made from slate from old roofs, broken up pieces of cement, big tiles and riverrock/large gravel. My brother in law had a beautiful gravel walkway in his back yard. It took some maintenance but it really was nice (and cheap, I've been told).

The city is doing roadwork near our house on an old boulevard. Under the asphalt are original bricks that they are not reusing and are letting people come and have for free (so I've been told). I wonder if people will use those for walkways or just have one or two as momentos?

Erika
  • Thu, Jul 7 2011 1:15 AM In reply to

My brother made a very nice walkway out of excess silo staves...not a common material in urban areas but in rural midwest, there are loads of them.  Cement blocks about 18 inches the long way, 6 inches the short way, and a couple inches thick.  He put those on a bed of sand just like expensive pavers.

Right now my "walkway" is made of smashed grass where I walk.  My rental has no sidewalk or walkway to the front door (which is on the side away from the strett...there are a few design flaws here).  

• Thu, Jul 7 2011 7:49 AM In reply to

• Gary
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Posts 412

Maggie Trudeau:

My brother made a very nice walkway out of excess silo staves...not a common material in urban areas but in rural midwest, there are loads of them.  Cement blocks about 18 inches the long way, 6 inches the short way, and a couple inches thick.  He put those on a bed of sand just like expensive pavers.

Right now my "walkway" is made of smashed grass where I walk.  My rental has no sidewalk or walkway to the front door (which is on the side away from the strett...there are a few design flaws here).  

Sounds like a great idea! To me the key is using something that would otherwise have no value and turn it into something that's useful.
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)

The Dollar Stretcher has a new community!

Feel free to read the great frugal living tips, ideas and discussions readers and community members have posted here. But if you'd like to post something or start a discussion, please click here to go over to our new community site and create an account.

About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us