Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

The Dollar Stretcher Community has a new home!

Feel free to read the great frugal living tips, ideas and discussions readers and community members have posted here. But if you'd like to post something or start a discussion, please click here to go over to our new community site and create an account.

Please contact Brandy@stretcher.com for questions about these forums.

Frugal Relocation?

Last post Sun, Aug 7 2011 9:43 PM by cheapChic. 6 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, Jun 29 2011 11:41 AM

• Brandy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Mar 28 2007
    • Saving in South Mississippi
    • Posts 25,145

Frugal Relocation?

J&D have written to The Dollar Stretcher about their move. They don't want to pay the expense of professionals. Can you help them tips that save money?

We will be relocating from FL to PA and will be paying the moving expenses ourselves. We would like suggestions on the most cost-effective way to do this. We have done a move in the past using a moving company. We packed everything ourselves and the movers did the rest. We then drove our 2 vehicles to the destination. This was a bit pricey (we thought), but our employer had paid for the move at that time. Any thoughts, ideas, suggestions or past experiences on a do-it-yourself move would be greatly appreciated. We have about six weeks to get this move completed.
    J & D

The Dollar Stretcher Community Manager

• Wed, Jun 29 2011 1:25 PM In reply to

• Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Jun 11 2008
    • Posts 169

Re: Frugal Relocation?

I moved cross country twice... both times I used a shipping company where you pay for space by the foot on a large semi-truck (Broadway Express is the company I used). You give them an address to pick up, they arrive and you load up your stuff onto their truck. The better you are at packing, the less space you will need. Once you are done loading they drive your stuff to your new destination/address. The first move, I loaded my vehicle onto the semi and packed all my stuff in my vehicle and around it (though not so much that it would damage my car). I used 14 ft of space. I then flew to my destination. The second time, I used much less space and drove my car to our new address. I found this to be very cost effective. Plus, I did not want to be driving a huge moving truck by myself across the country. Downside is that you do have to be a good packer to efficiently use the space in the semi and you have to be able commit to the pick up and drop off times.
  • Wed, Jun 29 2011 5:33 PM In reply to

• kjathena
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Tue, Jun 7 2011
    • Tampa Bay Area
    • Posts 49

when we moved my dear mother in law we found that renting a pod was the cheapest method...there are now more companies that offer this service but the names escape me right now....using this methods was cheaper for us than renting a uhaul truck...go figure. Packing yourself save alot and try and remember that large furnishings (beds/sofas/tables ect are often cheaper to buy gently used off craigslist...weekly free flyers and newspaper for sale ads than they are to ship) We have always found the larger furniture pieces no longer fit in style or usefulness...with a few exceptions...my breakfast nook has moved 9 times with us and our memory foam mattresses 6 times...we also have a few dressers that have sentmental value that go with us.....most of what makes your house into a home are the nick nacks,paintings, bedding/linnins/curtains/rugs and kitchen items....pare down anything that you do not LOVE and USE...the less you move the cheaper the cost
    Empathy is caught not taught....say what you mean and mean what you say...just dont say it mean
  • Sun, Aug 7 2011 3:42 PM In reply to

I realize this response may be too late to be of benefit to you now, but I thought it could be helpful for others facing a similar situation. I am in no way affiliated with the following website/products, etc., but I have found many of their ideas/products very useful. I own a cookbook and another print book that was compiled by these two ladies. The website is: www.livingonadime.com and they have an inexpensive e-book entitled "Moving on a Dime" that you might find very helpful. The website that lists the ebook is: http://www.livingonadime.com/store/moving-dime/ (On this page of the website, there are some excellent packing ideas listed that could benefit those in the process of moving.)

Thanks,

Elizabeth B.

• Sun, Aug 7 2011 3:49 PM In reply to

I think Im going to do that soon Im not leaving the county of pierce dad wants to do it and Im screwed if Im away from the nearest dr. so this thread will come handy in the future.

• Sun, Aug 7 2011 9:38 PM In reply to

cindy, wherever you might move, be sure you have a good doctor there. Where does your dad want to move to?

• Sun, Aug 7 2011 9:43 PM In reply to

Thank you seaturtle hope dad gets this good I don't mind the moving but docters are really hard to find and when we get the good place to go that takes our insurance it helps alot thanks for the reminder seaturtle.

Page 1 of 1 (7 items)

The Dollar Stretcher has a new community!

Feel free to read the great frugal living tips, ideas and discussions readers and community members have posted here. But if you'd like to post something or start a discussion, please click here to go over to our new community site and create an account.

About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us