Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

Found Cash in Selling Things

Last post 07-02-2011 12:25 AM by cheapChic. 8 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 06-29-2011 11:14 AM

• Brandy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-28-2007
    • Saving in South Mississippi
    • Posts 25,145

Found Cash in Selling Things

Selling unwanted items can be a way to make a little extra cash. Furniture is one of the higher tag items that can bring in a few dollars with one only piece.

Does anyone have experience with selling used furniture?

The Dollar Stretcher Community Manager

• 06-29-2011 5:38 PM In reply to

• Karen K
    • Top 75 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on 02-24-2009
    • New York Mills, MN
    • Posts 1,327

Re: Found Cash in Selling Things

Yes.  We do this all the time.  Most recently, we repaired chairs for someone and instead of being paid with money we bartered for other items she had sitting in her garage (she had some really cool old pieces!).  One of the items was an old upper buffet that is over 100 yrs old.  It had many, many coats of paint on it and needed some minor repairs.  We stripped it, repaired it and refinished it - now we have it in a consignment shop waiting for its new home. 

We also find things at rummage sales that we buy for a good price.  We'll repair, refinish, whatever needs to be done and then sell it.  Sometimes it will sell directly out of our shop, other items go to a consignment shop that we work with. 

We also do this with our own personal items.  We are moving and as we are packing the house and the shop we are re-finding things.  I  I have  two rocking chairs that we refinished for our house but we never really used them over the years, so I'm sending a few more items down to the consignment shop and try to make a little money.

Karen K

http://www.sugarcreekwoodworking.com
    http://www.asimplepinebox.com
  • 06-30-2011 7:01 AM In reply to

• Brandy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-28-2007
    • Saving in South Mississippi
    • Posts 25,145

Karen K:
    We also find things at rummage sales that we buy for a good price.  We'll repair, refinish, whatever needs to be done and then sell it.  Sometimes it will sell directly out of our shop, other items go to a consignment shop that we work with. 

I have heard of others doing that. If you have the time and abilty, it does sound like a good way to make a little extra money.

The Dollar Stretcher Community Manager

• 06-30-2011 8:14 PM In reply to

• gayla50
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on 09-24-2007
    • Western North Carolina
    • Posts 8,491

we do that all the time too ..  and we sell it usually at the farmer  market  that where everyone that sells ends up ... Recently sold a pair of wooden porch chairs we brought for $5.00 and sold them clean and the paint removed  Sold for $75.00  . 

Frank and the boys are handy with repairs .. they generally do it all . 

we have some rentals and all of them come with second hand pieces .. youngest  is 12 and the little one can strip furniture like a grown man ... DD is handy with sewing . 

Granny taught the older ones to can chairs ...thats a talent ..

Gayla

Officially Recognized Stretchpert in Frugal Food and Cooking and in Slow Cooker Foods

Purpose is what gives life a meaning
  • 06-30-2011 8:19 PM In reply to

Had to go threw my storeage well I also bout a bed set just to clean it up and just sell it well my bed set in storage was oak and pine the brand was boyd it hurt I had to sell it at a cheap price back then I blew 1000.00 17 years ago at 275.00 and the cheap bed set I did sold I bought it at 100.00 sold it at 250 ,150 profit that was cool but selling off the good set mine that hurt.

• 06-30-2011 10:16 PM In reply to

• Karen K
    • Top 75 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on 02-24-2009
    • New York Mills, MN
    • Posts 1,327

gayla50:
    Granny taught the older ones to can chairs ...thats a talent ..

Yes it is!  I cane chairs also and it is a dying art.  I'm self taught, you don't make a lot of money caning but it's a very enjoyable piece of the type of services we offer as a woodworking shop.

Karen K

http://www.sugarcreekwoodworking.com
    http://www.asimplepinebox.com
  • 07-01-2011 12:10 AM In reply to

Cindy does that lady use to sell cars to antique even bedsroom furnitor after fixing it up I got a coffee table and two end tables off cindy top quality that she knows how to find at a cheap price and makes a bit of a small profit nothing big I guess she does that to keep from boucing off the walls I have to tell on her brandy she is on a new medicine and she is a hyper if she gets that way threw the threads please tell me that means the med is not working to well thanks.

chrissanne
  • 07-01-2011 9:55 AM In reply to

I haven't bought items, cleaned them up and resold them but I have purchased a couple of those items and I really love them. One is a little children's table and 4 chairs that a lady bought at a garage sale, cleaned them up and then painted them in a motif of garden and flowers.

But DH and I have had luck on Craig's List sellling extra furniture. We sold our old dining set and hutch when we moved and our old bedframe/head/foodboard as well as some end and side tables. Last year, we sold our too-large patio set at our garage sale. We generally use the cash to buy the furniture we need, eg, we used the money from the sale of our patio set to buy a smaller table and chairs that would fit on our screened porch. We used the money from the sale of our dining set and hutch to pay for new fabric for the seats of my inherited dining set that I got from my parents. 

We have sold other things just for cash to get rid of extra furniture. In the future, we won't need our baby crib and changing table. Not sure I can sell the crib with the new regualtions about drop-side cribs. So we may just store in the attic. But the changing table can be sold.

This makes me want to walk around my house and see if there are any things that could be sold, LOL!

Erika
  • 07-02-2011 12:25 AM In reply to

ericka its a good way to unclog that house I just do this to get my mind busy, I also use to sell old cars back in the nineties when I had my title busines it kept me afloat threw the winter we call that the slugging when people need to watch thier money before christmas.

And I buy a car for 500.00 turned around maybe sell it at 850.00 usally that went anything more then that I have to put it threw the lanes at the auction hated that usally I was honest with the custmer on that I had a reputation of the company to protect so I quit selling the cars and did furniture that was more fun.

Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us