Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

How do I get caught up!

Last post Wed, Dec 12 2007 3:10 PM by babbyb. 19 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (20 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Fri, Nov 16 2007 4:30 PM

• jennlynn
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Mon, Aug 13 2007
    • Illinois
    • Posts 56

How do I get caught up!

I have fallen behind on some of my bills and now it seems impossible to get caught up.  I am a month and a half behind on the house payment OUCH!  and a month behind on the minivan.  Does anyone have any good ideas as to wear to come up with some extra money to get caught up.  I will be cashing my change jar this week although it only has roughtly 3.00 dollars in it.  I am also going to have hubby turn in alumin cans this weekend as well.  He is also on overtime and will get to stay on overtime for a least a month but it still is not enough to cover the behind payments.  Especially now that I can't work and there is still some baby items that we need before the babies arrive.

Thanks,

Jen

• Fri, Nov 16 2007 4:39 PM In reply to

• Brandy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Mar 28 2007
    • Saving in South Mississippi
    • Posts 25,145

Re: How do I get caught up!

Have you called the mortgage company and the company that financed the mini-van to see if they will work with you on payments? 

Is your income low enough for assistance programs like WIC or even the utility assistance ones that would cover some expenses that free up your funds for other things? What about church programs or community ones that offer food and utility aid?

Is there any place or person you can borrow money from? I detest this but sometimes when one is desperate it becomes a necessary evil.

Can you sell the mini-van and make do with one vehicle for awhile? This one only works for some people but I thought I'd toss it out here.

The Dollar Stretcher Community Manager

• Fri, Nov 16 2007 11:20 PM In reply to

Jen, don't buy anything more for the babies 'til you've exhausted all your contacts.  Let everyone know what you need.  Call second-hand stores to see if they have the item(s) and ask if they have any kind of charity program.  Call a few churches and tell them what you need. Take any offer of food assistance, too - that frees up more money for bill-paying. 

Definitely go after WIC and like Brandy said, call your creditors and set something up to stretch out your payments or pay interest-only for a month.  Liz

• Sat, Nov 17 2007 1:16 AM In reply to

• Juardo
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Jul 18 2007
    • Posts 210

Call the company that financed the house and the car. Explain to them what is going on and tell them of your intention to catch up. Do not remain silent. Silence to a creditor when someone is behind is like wearing a giant sign that says "deadbeat" which of course you are not. Check into all the avenues to see who you can get help from. If you can get food assistance that will free up money. Call your utilities companies and see what kind of programs they have. Often if you talk to them, you can "short pay" or pay just enought to keep things turned on that will allow you to free up money for the mortgage. Then once you are on your feet you can catch up with those bills. Do an inventory and see just what you have on hand in the way of food. Also, do you have anything hanging around the house that you do not use that could be sold for money? Do you have family that can help you out? As for things you still need for the babies, if you have food, some warm clothes, diapers, lotion and powder and blankets for them you are in business. Newborns can sleep in a drawer or cardboard box.

• Sat, Nov 17 2007 2:09 AM In reply to

Jen, I agree with Brandy. Call your creditors & explain to them. If they know you are intending to pay the bills they will work with you. Several years go we got behind & had to do this and I found that keeping your creditors informed makes them more willing to cut you some slack. Your mortgage may let you pay the interst only for a few months and then make up the rest a little each month or tack the payments on to the end of the loan.

Getting some help with utilities & food through your local church or other organizations will free up some money to go towards bills. Round up some clothes & household things that you no longer use and hold an on-line yard sale on Craigslist or CheapCycle to bring in some money.

Best wishes to you as you work your way through this financial crisis. Just remember, you can do it... it may take some creative thinking but you can prevail.

• Sat, Nov 17 2007 8:52 AM In reply to

• momof3
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on Tue, Jul 10 2007
    • Posts 211

Jen, I'll second what Brandy and Effie Mae have said.  Communication with your creditors is essential.  One of my friends was in a bind, and she was able to pay only the interest on her car loan for a few months.  Best wishes to you and your family.

• Sat, Nov 17 2007 9:51 AM In reply to

Jen-

My dh was in a bad accident and he was the onlybread winner. He had dislocated his hip and with two toddlers , I called all the basics- mortgage,utilities what not and arranged payment plans with them. When he was out on workmens comp- did the same thing except would call them and let them know if his check came and when I could make a payment. They worked with us so well that that is why we could refi the house to pay off bills but we wont because our bank is so willing to work with us instead of against us.

Be proactive in this. It will work to your benefit and they'll be nicer to you in return.

Good luck-

Anne

currently owe $10047. pay $523.50 every month ticker not working right
  • Sat, Nov 17 2007 9:58 AM In reply to

I agree with what the other ladies have said. If you have a low enough income, WIC should kick in an help you feed yourself and your family. Getting caught up on the house payment needs to be an absolute priority. Is the van a second car? Would it be possible to live without it? Are you upside down in it or can you sell it to get rid of the payment?

Of course, scour your budget for any savings you might come up with, no matter how small. It is amazing how little expenses add up. With our tax structure, a penny saved is two pennies earned. We also did cloth diapers for the kids and I cut up an old flannel nightgown into washcloth sized pieces and hemmed them to make homemade diaper wipes. I just washed them with the diapers. My kids were allergic to the scent they put in baby powder, so the diaper wipes did not work for them anyway (we tried them once while traveling). Cashing in aluminum cans is good, but if you bought the pop they came in, you lost money.

If you are able to generate a little income while at home, that might help. I have done paper routes, babysat, done craft fairs, sold unused books and stuff online...... you might be able to sell enough stuff off to make up some of the difference.

Besides the dollar stretcher, I like the "Not Just Beans" website for some ideas on making ends meet. I have friends that spend over two hundred a week on food for four people. I was spending around eighty, and there are many ladies on this site who spend far less than that.

• Sun, Nov 18 2007 4:08 PM In reply to

• jennlynn
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Mon, Aug 13 2007
    • Illinois
    • Posts 56

Thanks for all of your replies everyone they have been much help.  After some reviewing I will be able to make half a car payment and the lending company will let me make up the other half in January and are waving the late charges.  I have scapped up enough money to make that half.  As for the mortgage payments I have inventoried my stock and can get by up til January with what I have execpt for toilet paper and tooth paste I will need at least 1 tube of tooth past but I will get that at wal-mart for 0.88 cents and a couple of cheap packs of toilet paper.  As far as other food I am already on WIC so my milk, juice, eggs and cheese and cereal are covered as well which will even help me further.  I am not to worried about baby stuff at the moment, I am going to focus on getting the babies room set up and organized which is a must since they will be here in 6 weeks.  I will then be able to see what else I need and go from there.  My sister has also been hinting around about a very small just my sister, grandmothers, mother and mother in law and all my sister in laws about a very small baby shower which I know will help out.  I am not worried at all about formula either because I plan on breastfeeding again so that will help, not only cost but get both babies on the same eating and sleeping schedule if I tandum the breastfeeding which also helps produce more milk.  The alumin cans helped out in cashing those in we don't drink soda but my husband bring the bag of them home from his recycle bin at work and the machine shop he works at those men go through a  lot of soda cans!  It is going to be a major struggle this next month or two I am just so worried that I am not going to have the energy to handle it.

• Sun, Nov 18 2007 5:01 PM In reply to

• rolo
    • Top 50 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Wed, Apr 4 2007
    • Michigan
    • Posts 1,932

Is there anyway at all that your dh could pick a part time side job, just for a couple of months?  Dishwasher, pizza delivery, fast food,--just a little something to generate some more cash?  

Could you temporarily provide child care for somebody?  Even just a month would equal several hundred dollars.

Start selling your stuff.  Almost everybody has stuff they can sell at rummage sale prices.

Hang in there.  Sounds like your finance companies are working with you.

Can you contact your utilities and see if they have some sort of program to help, as well? 

Lorrie

"People take different roads seeking fulfillment and happiness. Just because they're not on your road doesn't mean they've gotten lost." ~~ Dalai Lama XIV -

Page 1 of 2 (20 items) 1 2 Next >
About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us