Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

The Dollar Stretcher Community has a new home!

Feel free to read the great frugal living tips, ideas and discussions readers and community members have posted here. But if you'd like to post something or start a discussion, please click here to go over to our new community site and create an account.

Please contact Brandy@stretcher.com for questions about these forums.

Cost of Cooling?

Last post Sun, Jun 26 2011 6:50 AM by sunshinetreva. 14 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (15 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, Jun 22 2011 2:48 PM

• Brandy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Mar 28 2007
    • Saving in South Mississippi
    • Posts 25,145

Cost of Cooling?

Do you know how much you are spending to cool your home? Is there a way to calcuate that?

I just got my elecricity bill and the amount is higher than I expected. This is our first summer in this house and our AC was not running properly. I am hoping it improves since we got a new unit two weeks ago.

The Dollar Stretcher Community Manager

• Wed, Jun 22 2011 3:16 PM In reply to

Re: Cost of Cooling?

Do you have access to a "kill-a-watt" meter?  I can get one at the library here and check on how much power any given appliance is using.  The limitation is that it only works with a regular type plug, not a "dryer" or other heavy duty plug.

Another option is to ask the power company if they have a meter you can borrow and hook to the air conditioner.

As for how much I spend to cool my home...not much.  I use 2 fans at night and close up the house during the day.  That works here but might not in a place with more humidity that doesn't cool off at night.

• Wed, Jun 22 2011 4:45 PM In reply to

Like Maggie, I don't spend much.  I don't have AC - I had new windows put in a few years ago that are double hung, and have locks that hold the windows open at 3" (not perfect, but way better for security than the old crank-style aluminum windows I had before).  I leave them open from the top at night; if it's been hot enough, I have a box fan sitting in the attic access - if I turn that on, it pulls cooler air from outside in through the windows and cools the house down.  If it's really hot, I spend a lot of time in the basement.
  • Wed, Jun 22 2011 6:53 PM In reply to

If it is not running properly, it will zap the electricity.

I have had some family members in the business.  Here are some suggestions.

Never go cheap and buy a unit too small.  Round up instead of down.  Your unit will run less.

Keep condenser and  filters clean

Shut the doors and windows.  Just like your fridge runs more if you stand will the door open, so this unit will run more with the doors open.

220 is better

If you walk into the house and it is hot, don't turn the switch down to 58*.  That is hard on the unit.  Take it down about about 3* at a time and next time don't let it get so hot.

Humid?  Help it out with a dehumidifier and fans.  

You teach people how to treat you -- Dr Phil
  • Wed, Jun 22 2011 8:13 PM In reply to

I don't spend a lot, but it is more expensive this year with a tiered electric bill- the first however many kilowatts cost so much, and then up a notch, for three more increases.  The intent is that people will buy more cost effective appliances and conserve, however, it seems to me it punishes households with older windows etc that the homeowner can't afford to replace, households with a lot of people, or bigger houses.  I am trying to conserve more due to the pricing, and yet when it is hot it has been very muggy due to rain.

No worries for tomorrow!  It's 58 right now with a high of 65 tomorrow.  Time to get out the blankets, on the second day of summer.

• Thu, Jun 23 2011 12:52 PM In reply to

tracyinmn:

No worries for tomorrow!  It's 58 right now with a high of 65 tomorrow.  Time to get out the blankets, on the second day of summer.

You too!  I had to turn the dang furnace on again last week!  I can live ok at 55 degrees or even short term at 50 in the house...but below that for days got to be too much.  usually we're seeing highs in the 70s and 80s most days by now and the rains are gone.  But this year it's been cold and wet.   Yesterday was warm but back to chilly today.  Very strange year. 

• Thu, Jun 23 2011 10:19 PM In reply to

I understand that the new windows I'm having to replace thanks to the tornado will save energy. My electric bill will be better in the winter and in the summer. My old windows were drafty in spite of the storm windows.

If my bills do not improve a lot, I will switch over to budget billing.

Virginia has a lot of humidity.

• Fri, Jun 24 2011 2:08 PM In reply to

We have not spent much at all this summer on cooling.  We had three or four days of high 90's early in June, but after that we've had 50's and 60's. 
  • Fri, Jun 24 2011 2:16 PM In reply to

Open windows in the early moring once it starts up a degree hot close it off and shut curtains on the sunny side of the house I lived with out the aicondition for 12 years and still to this day its a luxery just used a table top fan and insuated curtain if it was really hot we went to the coast where the sound was and just sit in the shade breeze came from there,,

Could never afford the a/c only fans do thats the only advise I could give.

• Fri, Jun 24 2011 2:17 PM In reply to

• MarthaMFI
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Wed, Apr 16 2008
    • New Westminster, BC, Canada
    • Posts 10,850

I know! I still have winter blankets on the bed but our house holds heat well so haven't turned on the furnace but on the other hand when it is sunny, that sucks.   it has been hot one day, cold the next ....weird.   haven't even got the fans out for cooling yet!   would love central air since I can't handle heat well any more but too expensive for just a few weeks a year.

Officially recognized Stretchpert in Hobbies and Crafts
Page 1 of 2 (15 items) 1 2 Next >

The Dollar Stretcher has a new community!

Feel free to read the great frugal living tips, ideas and discussions readers and community members have posted here. But if you'd like to post something or start a discussion, please click here to go over to our new community site and create an account.

About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us