Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

A Different Approach to Gardening

Last post 07-02-2011 1:32 PM by Kozirtuc. 6 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 06-22-2011 1:17 PM

• Brandy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-28-2007
    • Saving in South Mississippi
    • Posts 25,145

A Different Approach to Gardening

In our daily diets we need many things. If you think in terms of growing the foods needed for vitamins, protien and calories. If you have not read the article the reader has written in about, please do. Let's see if we can help or even learn something new!

In a previous issue Susan McCanless wrote an article about "Growing Calories as Well as Vitamins."  < http://www.stretcher.com/stories/09/09mar09f.cfm?ds0627

> A very interesting concept.

However, rather than calories, I think about protein. As most gardens grow fruit and or vegetables, there is not much protein. I'd like to know more about how the home gardener could grow protein (without chickens or other animals!).

My wife and I grow (along with vegetables and some fruits) fava beans--definitely in the protein category. But I dont know what other items we could grow. So do you have any other suggestions for me?
    Thank you.
    Joe

The Dollar Stretcher Community Manager

• 06-22-2011 1:56 PM In reply to

Re: A Different Approach to Gardening

I've read articles over the years on growing amaranth--a high-protein grain--as well as small backyard plots of wheat. See if your state agriculture department has a newsletter with ads. Georgia does, and heirloom bean seeds are often advertised for sale, or in their "wanted" section.  Did I forget sunflower seeds and peanuts?  Those are two great sources of protein.  I'm personally partial to garbanzo beans, if you can grow them successfully.  Fresh, they taste like a fresh unroasted peanut, but with only 2/3 of the calories, and make great hummus, salad dressing, snacks, calderita (Philippine stew) or various Latino or Middle-Eastern dishes, including falafel. Baker Creek Heirloom Seeds sells both heirloom beans and foreign seeds, and their catalog is a work of art. Don't know about flaxseed, but I love the stuff in bread or sprinkled on salad. A weaver might purchase the flax plants, as is, for linen at a good price?

Happy gardening adventures!

• 06-26-2011 8:17 PM In reply to

I've read, on the web, ways to make tofu. It's similar to making cheese. The instructions use dried soybean. You grow and dry the soybean,  make the soy milk, then the tofu.....

Kathi
  • 06-26-2011 8:29 PM In reply to

the soy bean plant that does all sorts of food like cereal ,types of milk,cheese and other things beans like pinto blackbeans nuts from the tree like walnuts and other if there is a way to eat protein can be done with out the meat but if vitamins you need a suplament all of stuff threw studing threw school for the certifed dietition can tell you more then I can got to nutr.gov I can't spell to well tonight sorry....

• 06-26-2011 9:36 PM In reply to

• rolo
    • Top 50 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on 04-04-2007
    • Michigan
    • Posts 1,928

Good information here--

Growing dry edible beans   http://www.jeffersoninstitute.org/pubs/drybeans.shtml

How to grow dry beans   http://www.gardeningblog.net/how-to-grow/dry-beans/

Lorrie

"People take different roads seeking fulfillment and happiness. Just because they're not on your road doesn't mean they've gotten lost." ~~ Dalai Lama XIV -

• 06-27-2011 7:55 PM In reply to

I learned from the book "The Resilient Gardener" that potatoes pack a good protein punch as well as some higher calorie content for the effort it takes to grow them.

The author notes that amaranth is difficult to winnow so she prefers bigger grains.

If you eat eggs and meat proteins with a variety of veggies, you don't have to worry too much about getting enough high quality protein.  If you're a vegan though, the beans are a good way to go with whole grains.

I grow potatoes and some squash but haven't had much luck with beans in my tiny plot.

• 07-02-2011 1:32 PM In reply to

• Kozirtuc
    • Not Ranked
      Male
    • Joined on 07-01-2011
    • Wellington
    • Posts 1

Yes,I see.This is very important.

It is main for me directly to receive research paper writing service perfectly, because especially I can not convey my exciting thinks in dour chain, which harbors commissioning, significant body, and deduction.
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us