Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

The Dollar Stretcher Community has a new home!

Feel free to read the great frugal living tips, ideas and discussions readers and community members have posted here. But if you'd like to post something or start a discussion, please click here to go over to our new community site and create an account.

Please contact Brandy@stretcher.com for questions about these forums.

July Menu

Last post Mon, Aug 1 2011 2:16 PM by aloha_from_cali. 71 replies.
Page 4 of 8 (72 items) « First ... < Previous 2 3 4 5 6 Next > ... Last »
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Fri, Jun 24 2011 8:01 AM In reply to

• brenl
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Jun 4 2008
    • Wayne county
    • Posts 2,426

Re: July Menu

I notice Julie-in-Nova. I see the seafood box/special I don't think of the gourmet meal or fries. The Whiting I know my family will eat. I am trying to get away from breaded items. Which is better said then done. I know there is some one out there that would be happy about it. I like the signature box, after school box, and the summer grill box.
  • Fri, Jun 24 2011 10:27 AM In reply to

The family feast box looks good. We don't eat the carby stuff but I could save it for a pot luck or something.

~Amanda~
    http://notpoorly.blogspot.com/
  • Fri, Jun 24 2011 6:43 PM In reply to

kissesmomof4:

AF seems to give out the same brand of fries as Dollar Tree and Save A Lot carry most of the time. I would not order the box just to get them, they are cheap and not the best quality. We have the sweet potato fries from dollar tree and the ingredients are the same as the Alexa brand but I think they are the scraps because they are tiny little scrappy looking bits.

hmmm, I wonder if Sams Club has any sweet potato fries right now? I've gotten them there on occasion for SUCH a good deal. Thanks for the tip about the dollar tree fries being little bits @ Dollar Tree.... saved me $1 there! :)
    SAHM to 2 toddlers and 2 cats! Happily married to my soul mate! How could life get any better!?!
  • Fri, Jun 24 2011 6:46 PM In reply to

What do y'all think of the grill box special, the one with the cheddar brats & hot dogs? Am I just adding it up all wrong, or is that a REALLY bad deal? I am going to have to price that one out at the store. When I saw cheddar brats, I was just about to order the box right now to be sure to get some of them. Then I started adding it up in my head--- I'm just not sure if it's a deal or not. Has anyone priced that one out yet?
    SAHM to 2 toddlers and 2 cats! Happily married to my soul mate! How could life get any better!?!
  • Fri, Jun 24 2011 7:36 PM In reply to

I don't think the sausage box is a good deal. You can get brat style sausages at most stores right now for about 2.50-3. per package with 5 in a pack. The sausage will run you about $4 per pound. And hot dogs can be gotten for as low as 66-88 cents right now. If you want something better I saw that Oscar Meyer and ball park were under 2. per pack. So I could buy the same stuff for $15.

~Amanda~
  • Fri, Jun 24 2011 7:42 PM In reply to

I thought the same thing about the sausage box.  I'm still trying to figure out if the chicken is a good deal -- if I don't count the sides (which I probably wouldn't buy on my own), the chickens are about 9$ each, or about $2.00/pound.  That's a bit high, but in the right ball park.  And the chicken is so versatile, that I can do lots of stuff with it.

Julie

• Fri, Jun 24 2011 8:38 PM In reply to

I am the same about the sides. I do not count any of the starch type items because most of it is dollar store stuff. I only count the cost of meats and fruits/vegetables and eggs. The chicken box sounded good but I can get whole chickens for about 5-6 dollars each. The only thing is the one time I got a whole chicken from Angel Food it was very big and an extremely good deal.

~Amanda~
  • Sat, Jun 25 2011 2:08 AM In reply to

aloha_from_cali:
    What do y'all think of the grill box special, the one with the cheddar brats & hot dogs? Am I just adding it up all wrong, or is that a REALLY bad deal? I am going to have to price that one out at the store. When I saw cheddar brats, I was just about to order the box right now to be sure to get some of them. Then I started adding it up in my head--- I'm just not sure if it's a deal or not. Has anyone priced that one out yet?
    I wasn't sure either, so I checked the prices at the Safeway website for similar items. Right now, a pound of Ball Park beef hot dogs is $6.59! Hebrew National all-beef franks are even more! Remember, the Angel Food ones are listed as all-beef ones, so you have to compare similar kinds. Hot dogs made from pork and chicken would be cheaper, but they're different than what's in the box. Cheddar-brats and Italian sausage that are similar in package size to the ones in the AFM box are around $4.49-4.99 each. So... 2 pkg. Cheddar-brats - $4.49(2) = $8.98 2 pkg. Italian sausage links - $4.49(2) = $8.98 2 pkg. beef hot dogs - $6.59(2) = $13.18 8.98 + 8.98 + 13.18 = $31.14 AFM Gourmet Griller Box = $28 Granted, you might be able to find coupons for some of the sausages or hot dogs, and maybe you'd rather get the pork-chicken hot dogs instead of dealing with the price of beef hot dogs... if you work at it, you could probably get similar items for less than the AFM box. But without any sales or other discounts, the AFM box is cheaper.
    Mama to a teen and a preschooler KINDERGARTENER!! -- oh, the fun! Also co-parenting 3 other awesome kids. :)
  • Sat, Jun 25 2011 2:34 AM In reply to

I got all excited about that seafood one until I saw it had a ton of whiting.  I still have whiting from a previous order, not sure what to do with it.  Anyone know if it makes a decent chowder?

I do like the Chicken Lovers special, however, and the Family Feast one!  I'm trying to figure out if it's still a good deal, since it's almost the same price as the main box, but I think I could make several dinners out of it. 
    *steak fajita meat + one of the packs of tortillas (plus a package of peppers & onions from the freezer)
    *chicken fajita meat + the other pack of tortillas (& some other peppers/onions from the freezer)
    *chicken drumsticks + stuffing + some of the sweet potatoes
    *beef roast + some of the sweet potatoes + dinner rolls
    *leftover beef roast (shredded & mixed w/ bbq sauce) on dinner rolls + corn cobbettes
    *chicken drumsticks + corn (plus a green veggie of some sort)
    *mini Thanksgiving dinner! bacon wrapped turkey fillets + stuffing + corn + dessert (and maybe a green veggie from the freezer)

Not sure what to do with the pasta, but I'm sure I'll find a use for it somewhere.

Mama to a teen and a preschooler KINDERGARTENER!! -- oh, the fun! Also co-parenting 3 other awesome kids. :)
  • Sat, Jun 25 2011 6:46 AM In reply to

• brenl
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Jun 4 2008
    • Wayne county
    • Posts 2,426

Spiderdust the seafood box don't look as peeling as it normally does. The whiting don't bother me. It is the gourmet , breaded fish, and the fries that gets me. I am like you the special with the chicken does look good to me. The grill box looks good. It is going to be hard to decide on this month food.
Page 4 of 8 (72 items) « First ... < Previous 2 3 4 5 6 Next > ... Last »

The Dollar Stretcher has a new community!

Feel free to read the great frugal living tips, ideas and discussions readers and community members have posted here. But if you'd like to post something or start a discussion, please click here to go over to our new community site and create an account.

About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us