Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

Mold and Mildew

Last post Thu, Jun 16 2011 7:12 PM by cheapChic. 8 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Thu, Jun 16 2011 6:58 AM

• Brandy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Mar 28 2007
    • Saving in South Mississippi
    • Posts 25,145

Mold and Mildew

We all battle this from time to time. It sneaks into the showers or on window sills.

What are your best tips for getting rid of the routine variety and keeping it from starting?

The Dollar Stretcher Community Manager

• Thu, Jun 16 2011 7:09 AM In reply to

Re: Mold and Mildew

We clean the shower with a bleach mix and keep the doors open for it to dry.  (It actually drys fast here).

If you have mold/mildew on your window sills, that is a sign of a poor/broken seal and you need to have your windows worked on.  There should never be a build up on the windows.  

You teach people how to treat you -- Dr Phil
  • Thu, Jun 16 2011 9:05 AM In reply to

I agree with 2ndGen, bleach is the best way to kill the mildew spores. Mildew thrives in a wet, moist environment. Keeping things aired out will help it not to get started in the first place.

If you live in a humid area like the Deep South, keeping things dry is more difficult than if you live in a dry area like the Southwest.

Stacie

http://holdinghandswithmyhoney.blogspot.com/
  • Thu, Jun 16 2011 9:25 AM In reply to

• rolo
    • Top 50 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Wed, Apr 4 2007
    • Michigan
    • Posts 1,932

Wipe the shoer-tub walls down and tub down after last use, mist with bleach/water from a spray bottle.  Have a good bathroom exhaust fan and use it.  Lightweight polyester type shower curtains, that are water resistant, are better than using a vinyl liner and fabric shower curtain.  If you have sliding doors, wipe those down and keep one open.  

Lorrie

"People take different roads seeking fulfillment and happiness. Just because they're not on your road doesn't mean they've gotten lost." ~~ Dalai Lama XIV -

• Thu, Jun 16 2011 9:42 AM In reply to

I agree with the bleach/water mix for clean up. The best thing to keep in mind is prevention. Here where it gets humid for months, mold can get out of hand quickly. Make sure windows are properly working, exhaust fans work and are properly vented, so it goes outside the house, not just into an attic, and there are no cracks in the walls/foundation for rain to get inside. Running the air conditioner also helps when it is super hot and humid. We also have a dehumidifier running full time in our basement. It has a hose that we run to our floor drain. When it rains and is really humid, we have a second one for the back room of the basement (utility/furnace room) and we empty the bucket once or twice a day (use it to water plants).

When our gutters were plugged and we got 2 inches of rain in 2 hours, we had water leak in our house. In order to keep mold from growing in our walls/ceiling, we had to make sure the leak was stopped and then dry the wet area which involved DH cutting a hole in the ceiling to check for damage and then using a fan to dry out the area. We are extra vigilant about gutters now. Hopefully we stopped the leak and any possible growing mold.

For me, it's not so much the mold you can see like in the tub/shower but the mold you cannot see growing behind walls or under window sashes. That can quickly become a health issue. I can clean mildew out of a shower or toilet but once it is in walls, it's a bigger problem.

Erika
  • Thu, Jun 16 2011 11:26 AM In reply to

My windows are going to be replaced. I know there was not a good seal around the other windows because I'd feel cold air in the winter. I am hoping for fewer problems with mold and mildew after the repairs ar done.

• Thu, Jun 16 2011 11:47 AM In reply to

• gayla50
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Mon, Sep 24 2007
    • Western North Carolina
    • Posts 8,491

we are bleach and water users like crazy we do have one bath .. ( the boys ) that got a bit of mold 

Gayla

Officially Recognized Stretchpert in Frugal Food and Cooking and in Slow Cooker Foods

Purpose is what gives life a meaning
  • Thu, Jun 16 2011 2:51 PM In reply to

• Brandy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Mar 28 2007
    • Saving in South Mississippi
    • Posts 25,145

slk2042:
    If you live in a humid area like the Deep South, keeping things dry is more difficult than if you live in a dry area like the Southwest

It doesn't take much to have things damp inside where I am. I have never lived in a house that did not get some moisture on the windows and sills. Some have been worse than others though.

When I am deeply scrubbing for this myself, I use a bleach and water mix.

The Dollar Stretcher Community Manager

• Thu, Jun 16 2011 7:12 PM In reply to

here in washington we are damp area Im western wa. and getting mildo is not fun specially on the sill we use a papper towel after it rains a day after it gets cold then the water stands on the sill got to be wiped down daily its an old home built back in 64 so we are screwed when it comes to windows shower bleach works like a champ also vinager that to helps.

Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us