Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

Eating Healthy on a Budget

Last post Thu, Jun 16 2011 12:56 AM by sissy. 5 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, Jun 15 2011 6:57 PM

• Brandy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Mar 28 2007
    • Saving in South Mississippi
    • Posts 25,145

Eating Healthy on a Budget

With prices rising, it gets harder to afford good choices. Are you maintaining a healty diet without breaking the bank?

The Dollar Stretcher Community Manager

• Wed, Jun 15 2011 8:07 PM In reply to

Re: Eating Healthy on a Budget

I'm trying!  LOL  I've experimented with lentils and tofu (so far, so good).  I'm trying to encourage lots of seasonal fruits and veggies right now while they're cheaper.  For example, dinner tonight was Alexia fries, sliced tomato, sliced cucumber, carrots, radishes, homemade hummus, and then strawberries for dessert.  For the amount of food we ate, the total cost was around $4.  The hummus was gifted to us and the fries were bought on a close-out deal.

I continue to watch our meat portions and really try to keep us eating no more than 6 oz a day and most days not even that much.  Like tonight's dinner, I encourage some form of vegetarian-type dinner at least once a week, but I've been aiming for 2 lately with the abundance of fresh veggies and such.

And I keep buying the stuff that's not super-expensive, but packs good nutrients -- carrots, bananas, tofu, leafy greens, eggs, berries (seasonally "in" right now), brown rice, oats, etc.

Officially Recognized Stretchpert in the General forum
  • Wed, Jun 15 2011 8:55 PM In reply to

My middle sister gets some food stamps of 140.00 for 3 people she says its super hard and she can go to the fish banks and her church helps I wonder if thats only half a month I thought a good dose is about for 3 people alittle over 200 if they got kids that have a bottemless pit for a stomach then I really don't know what a good budget is from the food adminastrainion or that I may have wrong said a single person eats up to 50 dollars a week I say no maybe less me its around 30 or less because the cooking a process of food what is the budget for good food I really don't no.

• Wed, Jun 15 2011 9:38 PM In reply to

I spent $250 for a 30 week 1/2 share CSA. This was one of my better ways to spend money. I am getting gorgeous locally grown fresh veggies.

If i were in your shoes, I would try meatless meals. I would also do grilled cheese sandwiches with homemade soups. How about casseroles or quiches ? What about cornbread and baked beans ?

I learned about the CSA at a free lecture at my hospital.

• Thu, Jun 16 2011 12:34 AM In reply to

I'm struggling to stay on the food budget...by which I mean I've blown it for May and June.  Partly it's prices and partly it's more time spent on the road for various reasons.  AND my sourdough died (there was a memorial service).  So I haven't been making my own bread and have been buying convenience and comfort foods like burgers and donuts!  Oops!

I'm going to the good food co-op this friday while in town on another matter and will start again with bread for sandwiches and good flour to cook with and some things I can cook ahead and throw in a cooler for my frequent road trips, but I don't know if I'll be able to get the food budget back down this summer.  Oh well.  Something to work towards and even more challenging with the higher food prices.

• Thu, Jun 16 2011 12:56 AM In reply to

Im not good at making bread but muffins I am my middle sister needs to make her own bread but cindy does a killer corn breads and fruit muffins and puff popovers with the good flour mom has mom does the roast beef and cindy does the light as a feather puff rolls then she does a vegitable dish andlong with rice or baked potaoes

chrissanne
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us