Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

The Dollar Stretcher Community has a new home!

Feel free to read the great frugal living tips, ideas and discussions readers and community members have posted here. But if you'd like to post something or start a discussion, please click here to go over to our new community site and create an account.

Please contact Brandy@stretcher.com for questions about these forums.

Internet Providers

Last post Wed, Jun 1 2011 6:35 PM by Virginia Needlewoman. 3 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, Jun 1 2011 11:19 AM

Internet Providers

Mom bought me my HughesNet dish in 2007.I was locked into a 15 month contract.

I tried to get the protection plan for my dish, but HughesNet told me there wasn't one.

I lost my dish on April 16th when the tornado hit.

It would cost $129.00 to relace the dish. It would cost $79.99 a month for service.

I opted to buy a Verizon Hotbox for around $50.00. It will support up to 5 computers ! I opted to buy the insurance on the device. I pay around $60.00 a month for service not counting the insurance.

I am saving money by switching to the Verizon Hotbox. I'm also helping my finances at the same time because I own shares of Verizon stock. I have had my stock for years and it pays $1.95 a share dividends annually. I own a nice amount of this stock and I just let it do its thing of splitting, etc., and as a result, I own more than the 125 shares I started out with when it was given to me. My dividend check is my mad money.

Anyway, by switching to a Hotbox I save over $200.00 annually on my ISP plus there was a big savings on the difference between the cost of the HughesNet dish and the Verizon Hotbox.

I do love to save $$$ !!!

• Wed, Jun 1 2011 11:22 AM In reply to

Re: Internet Providers

Cable was not an option for me. It doesn't come on my street. If it were an option, I would try bundling services to get the best deal.

• Wed, Jun 1 2011 11:47 AM In reply to

I'll be interested to hear how your reception is with the HotBox; I've been considering looking for other options besides cable internet, as Comcast has a lock on cable in this area - cable internet is only available with cable TV, and if I can find a good enough deal on internet, I'd consider dropping at least part of the cable service (I have enhanced basic, I think it's called) because so much of what I watch is available online or via my Netflix subscription.
  • Wed, Jun 1 2011 6:35 PM In reply to

It downloads faster than HughesNet. Not sure if it could do movies or not. It is 5 gbs a month. Hope that helps you understand it better.

I do not like Windows7 and a laptop,but I was tired of the library.

Page 1 of 1 (4 items)

The Dollar Stretcher has a new community!

Feel free to read the great frugal living tips, ideas and discussions readers and community members have posted here. But if you'd like to post something or start a discussion, please click here to go over to our new community site and create an account.

About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us