Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

The Dollar Stretcher Community has a new home!

Feel free to read the great frugal living tips, ideas and discussions readers and community members have posted here. But if you'd like to post something or start a discussion, please click here to go over to our new community site and create an account.

Please contact Brandy@stretcher.com for questions about these forums.

Quick advice for a suddenly independent 18 year old

Last post Wed, Jun 4 2014 12:29 PM by Maggie Trudeau. 89 replies.
Page 8 of 9 (90 items) « First ... < Previous 5 6 7 8 9 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Sat, May 18 2013 9:42 AM In reply to

Re: Quick advice for a suddenly independent 18 year old

I am glad to see an update, even happier that he is still doing well.
    $ Dollar Stretcher Community Manager $
  • Sat, May 18 2013 9:42 AM In reply to

I am glad to see an update, even happier that he is still doing well.
    $ Dollar Stretcher Community Manager $
  • Sat, May 18 2013 10:15 AM In reply to

Thanks for the update, Maggie! Great to see he's doing so well! Big Smile

"The business of life is the acquisition of memories." --Mr. Carson
  • Sat, May 18 2013 7:02 PM In reply to

Thanks for giving us an update ... was wondering how things were going.

Really glad to hear that he's doing well ... sounds like he has a really good head on his shoulders. And bless you and your friends for helping him along!

www.dodgeandweave.blogspot.com
  • Mon, May 20 2013 6:37 PM In reply to

Thanks for the replies.  We are all super proud of him.   Even my mom is  now sending him encouraging cards.

• Thu, Sep 19 2013 2:24 PM In reply to

Back to School Update: Our young man had a bit of a rough summer. I think seeing so many other students go "home" to parents was hard. He thought about dropping out and taking a low paying dead end job, but in the end decided to stay in school, majoring in chemistry (me sending him the research that his low paying job stayed low paying until retirement, while a chemistry degree could get him much more money over time eventhough he's poor now may have helped). We helped him with rent a couple times over summer as his workstudy jobs petered out on him and he had a few unexpected expenses. His girlfriend is starting college as well and moved into a room in the same rooming house. They've been together 2 and a half years already and she's very studious and focused. 2 of us went over to visit them last week and stocked them up on groceries and things. They are a very nice young couple. Her parents were thinking of the dorms but once they saw that the rooming house cost about 1/2 as much and she'd have her own room rather than be sharing with two other girls, they relented. The gf has won enough scholarships to pay for her first year and is applying for campus jobs. School starts for them at the end of this month. So, I think things are still going pretty well.
  • Thu, Sep 19 2013 6:06 PM In reply to

Hey, thanks for the update .. I'm glad to hear things are going well. 

He's a chemistry major?  I'm impressed!  Good move on sending him that salary info, and good on him for paying attention. 

No doubt it's rough to see other students "go home" to families ... I suspect holidays are another tough time.  Hopefully having GF there will help ... sounds like she'll be a good influence.

www.dodgeandweave.blogspot.com
  • Mon, Jan 13 2014 9:52 PM In reply to

Updates? Babs

• Tue, Jan 14 2014 11:45 AM In reply to

babsagain:
     Updates? Babs

Thanks for asking.  I thought perhaps folks were no longer interested.   

He visited a town near me over his holiday break so I went over to see him.  And we text or email every week or two.  He's doing great!   Still living in the boarding house (all utilities, private room with shared bath and kitchen for $560/month), still going to school.  He's got 2 jobs, maybe a 3rd but I wasn't totally clear on that.  In school full time and looking to major in chemistry now.  He didn't ask for any money or anything, but I got him new shoes and put a little cash in his hand.  My mom sent him a Trader Joe's gift card for christmas and he was pretty excited.   he saved enough money from his jobs during fall quarter that he could go to canada for 5 days!  a very very cheap hotel in vancouver.  His girlfriend had planned to go along but needed to stay home and work.  So he went alone.  I'm glad he's figuring out frugal ways to vacation.  I think the whole trip cost him about 300$ and he'd paid all but the food and souvenirs ahead of time.  Not bad.   It's good to enjoy life a bit. 

Winter quarter has started now and he says he's enjoying his classes and still has work-study and at least one other job for this quarter.

• Tue, Jan 14 2014 12:08 PM In reply to

He must make your heart just overflow with joy, thanks for the update, Babs

Page 8 of 9 (90 items) « First ... < Previous 5 6 7 8 9 Next >

The Dollar Stretcher has a new community!

Feel free to read the great frugal living tips, ideas and discussions readers and community members have posted here. But if you'd like to post something or start a discussion, please click here to go over to our new community site and create an account.

About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us