Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

The Dollar Stretcher Community has a new home!

Feel free to read the great frugal living tips, ideas and discussions readers and community members have posted here. But if you'd like to post something or start a discussion, please click here to go over to our new community site and create an account.

Please contact Brandy@stretcher.com for questions about these forums.

Quick advice for a suddenly independent 18 year old

Last post Wed, Jun 4 2014 12:29 PM by Maggie Trudeau. 89 replies.
Page 7 of 9 (90 items) « First ... < Previous 5 6 7 8 9 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Thu, Oct 11 2012 5:19 PM In reply to

• Brandy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Mar 28 2007
    • Saving in South Mississippi
    • Posts 25,145

Re: Quick advice for a suddenly independent 18 year old

Maggie Trudeau:
    I'll pass those on.  he thinks it's funny that he's featured on a thrifty forum

I think it's uplifting to see a young person take control of their life. I hope others who come here to read feel they too can make it.

The Dollar Stretcher Community Manager

• Mon, Oct 15 2012 3:53 PM In reply to

Maggie, the young man does deserve credit for adapting to his new circumstances so well, but you and your friends deserve a lot of credit, too.  You all believed in him when he was at his lowest point and showed him a way out.  If not for you, his life could have taken on a whole other direction; fear and despair instead of hope for a bright future.  Bless you!
    Carol
    western NC
  • Tue, Oct 16 2012 9:21 PM In reply to

Maggie Trudeau:

Tussiemussies:
    PS Best wishes for this young man.

I'll pass those on.  he thinks it's funny that he's featured on a thrifty forum.  He's made excellent choices and made the most of the help so I give all the credit to him.

Just tell him he has a lot of honorary aunts and uncles rooting for him Wink

www.dodgeandweave.blogspot.com
  • Wed, Oct 17 2012 12:13 AM In reply to

Cindys kid died back in 2006 he died I think at 24 or 25 suicide.  I wish if he was alive to see this thread here that 18 year old make it if they put their minds to it and this young man friend will make it well in life just wish cindys kid did too?

chrissanne
  • Mon, Jan 14 2013 4:37 PM In reply to

Here's the latest:

I visited the young man last weekend.  He's in collegein the big city now.  Paying his own bills and has a work study job at the information technology help-desk.  He's doing really well!  He got a B average during his first quarter with pretty competitive classes.  He's getting some extra work moonlighting fixing computers for cash or barter.  He hasn't asked for any money, but we sent him some presents and cash for christmas anyway.  He's really proud of making his own way in life and says he doesn't really understand the students who get checks from their parents each month when they clearly have enough money to get by on their own.  

We mostly just did fun touristy things and enjoyed good food, but he also talked a bit about his budgeting and his life.  We were on the bus to downtown and a woman started talking to us, asking him if he liked school, had friends, etc. (yes to all)  I thanked her since I don't like to grill him about those things.  I did ask if he needed anything and he said no, he had plenty of food, rent was paid, his loans came in, and he had enough clothes.  I'm going to send him 20$ next week anyway.   When you're living pretty close to the bone, those little bits now and then really mean something.

One of my aunts who is quite wealthy sent him money for books for this new quarter.  She's been supporting some students in africa who have finished their schooling so decided to go ahead and send that money to this young man this time.  how nice!  His books cost more than expected at the university bookstore so he's keeping them in perfect condition while he orders used versions online.  Then he can return the bookstore copies and re-use the money that is left over.

He's also switched from sodas and expensive coffees all the time to home-brewed tea!  That's quite a bit of savings for both his budget AND his health.  I'm glad.   

His girlfriend will be going to college in the fall, but has chosen a different school.  I'm also proud of her!  She's choosing what's right for her education rather than just following her boyfriend.  That's not always what 18 year olds do. 

The young man will turn 20 this spring and I think he's off to a really solid start in life.  No one knows what the future holds.

• Mon, Jan 14 2013 6:18 PM In reply to

• babs
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Mon, Apr 2 2007
    • Vermont
    • Posts 10,988

Maggie, thank you for this update. I had wondered how he was doing but couldnt find this post.  What a blessing all of you are in his life, Babs
    Officially recognized Stretchpert in Prayer Circle
  • Mon, Jan 14 2013 6:19 PM In reply to

Maggie, That is a great update on the young man. I love to see people do well especially the young ones.
  • Fri, May 17 2013 5:51 PM In reply to

Hello All,

I'm not sure if anyone is interested anymore but I was having a bummer afternoon at work and decided to take a little positivity-break.

Here's the update on our young man:

I visited him last weekend at college.  He's still doing well!  Passing his classes and he kept his workstudy job all year.  He got off food stamps because he had enough money to live without them.  He is reapplying to help him get through summer while he looks for a job.  He's made a few errors with course planning, but didn't most of us when we were 19?  He DID make a really smart budgeting move.  On May 1 he had a bit of savings in his account so he's paid rent through July.  He said this will make his budgeting through the summer much simpler.  He just needs to cover food and earn enough for August rent.    Good for him!

He's struggling finding a summer job so he called for help on his resume.  I think that was a good thing to do as well.  Thinking ahead and getting help before something is a crisis.

His birthday is later this month so we're putting together a carepackage for him.  He can't really afford going out for coffee much which is a big social thing in his group, so we found an italian coffee maker, Biali style, at a thrift store and are sending good coffee and some hot chocolate mix.  Won't quite be a true mocha, but maybe good enough.    

His girlfriend and her parents are impressed enough with his thrifty living situation that she'll be at the boarding house in the fall as well.  It's maybe 1/2 the price of the dorms even after buying food.  

He's managed to keep himself clothed, through thrift stores of course (but we do send him new store-bought socks and undies).  I got him a new pair of shoes and we helped him with a new computer for his birthday too.  He kept the price down and let us know when there was a sale.  He also said 'thank you'.  

All in all, he's doing really well.  We're very proud of him.

• Fri, May 17 2013 10:07 PM In reply to

It's just so wonderful to hear about how you helped someone who was at a make it or break it point in their life, and now they are moving forward. It's been a joy to read this thread. May God bless you and all of the others who are helping him, and him too. TM
  • Fri, May 17 2013 11:10 PM In reply to

Thanks for posting! it is great to hear that he is doing well! you must be proud.

Page 7 of 9 (90 items) « First ... < Previous 5 6 7 8 9 Next >

The Dollar Stretcher has a new community!

Feel free to read the great frugal living tips, ideas and discussions readers and community members have posted here. But if you'd like to post something or start a discussion, please click here to go over to our new community site and create an account.

About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us