Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

Problem with Silverfish

Last post Fri, May 27 2011 11:07 PM by cheapChic. 7 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, May 18 2011 2:41 PM

• Brandy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Mar 28 2007
    • Saving in South Mississippi
    • Posts 25,145

Problem with Silverfish

A reader has a problem with silverfish. Can you help her to get rid of them?

I live in a condo and have had problems with Silverfish for the past four summers. I have spent more than a thousand dollars on exterminators and none of them have been able to get rid of them. I have patched and sealed every visible crack and opening in my home to try to keep them out, but that hasn't worked either. There are no water leaks in my home. All starches, books, linens, etc. have either been sealed up in plastic or removed completely from the home. Does anyone know how to get rid of these disgusting pests? If I can't kill them, I'd at least like to keep them out of my home.<br />
    Lisa

The Dollar Stretcher Community Manager

• Thu, May 19 2011 11:44 AM In reply to

Re: Problem with Silverfish

Every time I've had silverfish, they've come up through the drains.  I don't generally see more than one - but when I do, they're always in the tub or sink; I pour some bleach down the drain, and that seems to take care of it.  Other parts of the country may have greater numbers and may need more specific responses - if the OP has talked to exterminators in her area and they haven't suggested that, then it may be a different issue in her area.
  • Mon, May 23 2011 11:38 AM In reply to

• dolypoly
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Mon, May 23 2011
    • Posts 1

I don't know what the home is made out of, insulated with, but we had a problem with silverfish and it was due to the insulating board that was used in the attic. It looked like a black backed cardboards/pressboard. As soon as we removed all of that the silverfish disappeared and I haven't seen them since. I know you can't just remove things as you live in a condo, but if that's what they built with you might just be stuck with them, unless someone else knows of a way to get rid of them.

• Mon, May 23 2011 11:39 AM In reply to

• Brandy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Mar 28 2007
    • Saving in South Mississippi
    • Posts 25,145

Welcome to the community,Dolypoly!

The Dollar Stretcher Community Manager

• Mon, May 23 2011 5:29 PM In reply to

• MarthaMFI
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Wed, Apr 16 2008
    • New Westminster, BC, Canada
    • Posts 10,850

We don't really have a bug problem but just after this post I found one silverfish on my bathroom floor and then sat morning 3 in my bathroom sink so I did what was suggested and poured bleach down the drain.  only had about 1/2 cup left so hopefully that did the job.

Officially recognized Stretchpert in Hobbies and Crafts
  • Mon, May 23 2011 5:34 PM In reply to

??????????????? I am asking a stupid question whats silver fish a fish thaat comes to life from the ocean or lake or is it a bug of some sort...

• Wed, May 25 2011 12:11 AM In reply to

• MarthaMFI
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Wed, Apr 16 2008
    • New Westminster, BC, Canada
    • Posts 10,850

it is a bug that kinda looks like a silverfish in a stretch. powdery when squashed. they squash easy.  

Officially recognized Stretchpert in Hobbies and Crafts
  • Fri, May 27 2011 11:07 PM In reply to

gross I have seen those then down south in texas when I lived in aboleen I think it came out of the pipes threw the drain....Thank you martha just didn't really know...

Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us