Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

The Shopping List

Last post 05-14-2011 6:11 PM by jillibean. 15 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (16 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 05-11-2011 11:26 AM

• Brandy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-28-2007
    • Saving in South Mississippi
    • Posts 25,145

The Shopping List

The best way to save money on food is to be organised, shop smart and plan! The shopping list becomes an important tool to the frugal shopper. It can be the divider between buying only what we need and tossing extra items in the cart. 

What works for you in creating your shopping list?

The Dollar Stretcher Community Manager

• 05-11-2011 12:01 PM In reply to

Re: The Shopping List

When I do my "big" grocery shopping at the first of each month, I go to the commissary, which is about 15 miles from my house. I try not to take any kids with me.

I look at the commissary's website to see what's on sale, and I try to plan around that. I will make up about 30 menu plans, and comprise my list around those menus. I organize my list by the commissary's aisle layout, which is found on their website. (My shopping list is HUGE when I go, and there's nothing worse than having to backtrack with an overloaded, heavy-to-push cart to get one thing I missed.)

I fill in the rest of the month's shopping with local grocery stores. I will look at their websites to see what's on sale too.

I've recently decided that I will try to do my big grocery shopping twice a month instead of once a month. That way I don't overload my cart each time I go. (It takes 2 people to carry out my purchases for me!) This will be the first month I try it, so I'll be interested to see if it helps.

Stacie

http://holdinghandswithmyhoney.blogspot.com/
  • 05-11-2011 12:06 PM In reply to

• grame
    • Top 50 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on 02-22-2011
    • Kingdom of Callaway
    • Posts 1,950

I cook from scratch, so I have a master list of every grocery item I use.  Each item is followed by the amount I want to keep on hand, then a blank for what I need to get to bring supplies up to that amount.  I keep it on the computer so I could make changes if ever needed.

Home canned items are just on a beginning inventory & I see what I used more of when planning the next years' garden.

Household & pet products are listed under 'notes' on my cell phone because when I household shop, It is at the first of the month when stress is sky high at work & I'm more tired.  I can actually get all I need in about 20 minutes- tops and be back on the road.

Without my lists, I waste time.

I declare to you that woman must not depend upon the protection of man, but must be taught to protect herself, and there I take my stand. ~Susan B. Anthony
  • 05-11-2011 12:49 PM In reply to

I have a list going on the fridge.  As I use up or almost use up something, I put it on the list.  I also add "fruits" and "veg" to remind me to check for what's cheap.

• 05-11-2011 5:15 PM In reply to

• Brandy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-28-2007
    • Posts 25,145

I was using a shopping list application on my phone. I haven't used it in awhile but I need to. It allowed me put in price information so it served as a basic pricebook as well.

I need to update the prices on the list and stick to my shopping plan more often again.

• 05-11-2011 5:20 PM In reply to

lol I am bad,..my list is in my head! 

Officially recognized Stretchpert in Hobbies and Crafts
  • 05-11-2011 5:46 PM In reply to

Like Maggie, I keep a running list on the fridge.   Depending on what store/s I'm going to that week, I'll do a list for that store including items from the running list (if it's on sale or I know I can get it at a good price), plus whatever good deals I see from the sale circular.

• 05-11-2011 5:52 PM In reply to

I finish my grocery list as I make my menu for the next week.  I try to write down what we run out of on a day to day basis, then plan what we're going to eat for the coming week with what is on hand first, filling in with what is on sale coupled with coupons (if I'm shopping somewhere other than Aldi).  I'm lost without a list.

• 05-11-2011 7:56 PM In reply to

I have a list on the fridge that anyone can use.  If DH wants something, DON'T tell me -- just write it down.  If DD needs something, even a school supply, DON'T tell me -- just write it down.  I will not remember from one minute to the next.  I also check sales, etc. to see what's on sale and add good deals to the list.  If the list is short (1 side of the paper from the fridge), I take it as is.  If it's a big shopping trip, then I organize by area -- produce, dairy, meat, breakfast, baking goods, etc.
    Officially Recognized Stretchpert in the General forum
  • 05-11-2011 8:03 PM In reply to

• Brandy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-28-2007
    • Posts 25,145

sunshinetreva:
    If DH wants something, DON'T tell me -- just write it down.  If DD needs something, even a school supply, DON'T tell me -- just write it down.  I will not remember from one minute to the next.

I tell my husband and kids the same thing. Is it working for you? It doesn't for me.

Page 1 of 2 (16 items) 1 2 Next >
About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us