Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

Car Rental

Last post Thu, Oct 3 2013 11:46 AM by MRSOBRIEN. 9 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (10 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, May 11 2011 10:45 AM

• Brandy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Mar 28 2007
    • Saving in South Mississippi
    • Posts 25,145

Car Rental

Car rentals can be very expensive but sometimes we need one. Can you help this reader find the companies with the best rates?

Does anyone have any tips on renting a car out of town inexpensively?
    TG

The Dollar Stretcher Community Manager

• Wed, May 11 2011 1:31 PM In reply to

Re: Car Rental

You can get a discount with a AAA card or with an AARP card. Also, rental cars discount count coupons are in Entertainment Books.

My AAA Plus Card got me 15% off my rentals with Enterprise.

• Wed, May 11 2011 1:34 PM In reply to

I'm with VNW on this - try AAA first.  Otherwise, check with the local chamber of commerce and on-line for coupons.  Some of the travel sites also give discounts for car rental - check around.
  • Wed, May 11 2011 5:33 PM In reply to

Also check Orbitz,Expedia and Kayak, I've gotten good deals through all 3.  Another option is hotwire.com. The only catch is that you won't know who the rental agency is until you commit to the deal.  But they only deal with national brands. (I've usually had either Hertz or Avis).  If you feel daring, you can try the name your price option at Priceline. (never done it, so can't vouch for it)

www.dodgeandweave.blogspot.com
  • Wed, May 11 2011 6:39 PM In reply to

• kb999999
    • Top 100 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Wed, Mar 26 2008
    • Arizona
    • Posts 950

Hi ... locate the rental companies in the area you are visiting and then go to their websites for more info. We can usually get Hertz or Enterprise to take a few more dollars off the daily rental when using the other company rates. Calling directly to the local office can also get you a lower rate per day, an upgrade or extended time.

• Wed, May 11 2011 8:00 PM In reply to

1. make sure you have a credit card

2.you know the insurance stuff and driving record if you donnot need to show that cool.

3.gas is more expensive with rent a car so beware

4. when returning the car make sure there is gass in it and try to keep it clean inside

5. no smoking you get a better rate and if you have tripple Aaa show that you get a good discount.

6.go on the web see if you can get a better deal with rent a dent car or a regular car.

• Fri, May 13 2011 3:01 PM In reply to

I actually recently rented a car through Priceline via the name-your-own price feature.  I found the prices at all of the potential rental agencies, then requested a price significantly lower than the lowest I could find.  It worked and I got the rental for about $11/day less than the lowest price I could find elsewhere.  That amounted to more than a 30% savings.

Only problem with using priceline is that you have to pay upfront (when you book with the rental agency you pay when you pick up the car).  Rental rates can change frequently and could potentially go lower than what you're paying. This time I figured that the rate wasn't likely to drop that much... so far I've been correct.

"All you really need is one special monkey." -- C. J. Booher
  • Mon, May 16 2011 2:18 AM In reply to

I use Hotwire.com for most of my car rental needs.  The best part is that you can get really great deals and every car they rent (from major players like Hertz) have unlimited mileage included automatically.  The downside is they don't tell you what company it will be until after you finish the purchase.  Also, fill it up to the level you checked it out with before taking it back to save quite a bit on gas.  Put it on a major credit card that includes rental car insurance and say you do NOT want the insurance the rental company will offer you. 

• Thu, Sep 26 2013 9:22 AM In reply to

Populaces must think that the car rental companies may be expensive but the fact is that the along with the quality services they provide heavy discounts and exciting offers for their customers as well.
  • Thu, Oct 3 2013 11:46 AM In reply to

We almost always use Priceline or Kayak to get a feel for what the retail prices are, and then bid a few dollars lower at Priceline's name your own price. While Enterprise is the most common, we've been quite pleased with the service we've gotten from Budget and Thrifty car rentals. The last 2-3 times we rented with Enterprise, I reserved an economy or compact car and then when I got there, they told me they didn't have one "but for $3 more we can get you into this much nicer car." Meaning more gas and more cost. Grrr. We've had Alamo a few times and its been okay. Their cars don't seem to be as well maintained, but it was fine for a short trip. Hertz is usually always good, but obviously pricier.
Page 1 of 1 (10 items)
About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us