Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

Indoor Container Garden

Last post 05-03-2011 9:53 PM by seaturtle. 3 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 05-03-2011 7:23 PM

• Brandy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-28-2007
    • Saving in South Mississippi
    • Posts 25,145

Indoor Container Garden

Living in an apartment may mean you can not have a large garden spread out through a yard but you can still get the benefit of home grown edibles. Can you help this reader with tips on container gardening?

I am a disabled single woman in a second floor apartment with no yard space who would like to grow a container garden of tomatoes, and possibly strawberries. The prices are so high I can no longer afford these favorite foods.

I would love advice on container gardening inside an apartment. I know it is possible because as a child I knew people who grew vegetables in their house. I am sure there must be someone in the Dollar Stretcher community who can help me with this. I do have good sun in the windows from the North and South for about 4 hours each way every day.
    Thank you.
    Ila in Southern Coastal Maine

The Dollar Stretcher Community Manager

• 05-03-2011 7:55 PM In reply to

Re: Indoor Container Garden

Does she have someone who can help her to bring up the dirt and a  large -enough container in which to grow tomatoes?  

That said,   I would think cherry tomatoes would grow well inside. 

Strawberries .. not sure, unless she uses something like a strawberry jar.  I'm sure someone else might have the answer to this one...

• 05-03-2011 9:53 PM In reply to

Get this middle sister do not eat tomatoes and she is growing them on the porch in a container no one in the family of hers likes it..

And at leat she is growing her herbs me I can't wait to do seedlings next year and get the herbs and the tomatoes and spinch letuce and the old stand by sunflowers seed thing one flower is for the birds I roast the the other seeds from the sun flowers to use so all this are in containers except the sunflowers.

• 05-03-2011 9:53 PM In reply to

I'd suggest the Topsy-Turvy planters. Not much heavy soil, no drainage problems, easy to maintain, and they do a good job on both strawberries and tomatoes. They wouldn't take up much space, and she wouldn't be left with a container full of soil in the winter. 

I've also experience with using soil inside. Mine had house-gnats and didn't drain properly. Without consistent full sun for many hours a day, the soil in containers tends to dry out on top and remain wet underneath.

Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us