Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

The Dollar Stretcher Community has a new home!

Feel free to read the great frugal living tips, ideas and discussions readers and community members have posted here. But if you'd like to post something or start a discussion, please click here to go over to our new community site and create an account.

Please contact Brandy@stretcher.com for questions about these forums.

Needed: Cheap Pest Control Solutions

Last post Thu, Sep 12 2013 1:02 AM by Bannetsmith. 14 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (15 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Thu, Apr 28 2011 12:17 PM

• Brandy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Mar 28 2007
    • Saving in South Mississippi
    • Posts 25,145

Needed: Cheap Pest Control Solutions

Ahhh the battle of bugs! Some areas are just crawling with critters and it can be costly to try to win the war against them. Do you have tips for this reader?

I have tried everything to get rid of roaches and I really need help. I am scared they will bite my kids or make them sick. I don't have much money so I was hoping you could give me some cheap ways to take care of it. I live in a very wooded area and I am worried for my children. Thank you very much.
    Karla

The Dollar Stretcher Community Manager

• Thu, Apr 28 2011 5:30 PM In reply to

Re: Needed: Cheap Pest Control Solutions

Have you tried squirting boric acid powder into all cracks and crevices? It works because thaey walk on it then ingest it as they clean themselves. Do be careful to neither breathe it nor place where children or pets can access it.  AM
  • Thu, Apr 28 2011 5:39 PM In reply to

Do you have a Do-it-yourself Pest Control place nearby?  You can buy the professional chemicals and apply them yourself.  Saves a TON of money.

"All you really need is one special monkey." -- C. J. Booher
  • Thu, Apr 28 2011 8:39 PM In reply to

Roaches often live in the attic or under the floor, and those places need to be treated with boric acid.  You can't use it around toddlers or pets.  Combat gel works great if you can find their entry points.  I use Bengal bombs if tenants bring them in.  They're expensive but do a pretty good job.  Boric acid, though, is the real deal, but you have to leave it down at least three weeks. If you can close off rooms so the kids can't get in, and spread the powder everywhere in those rooms, it works better. It's non-flammable, so I load the radiators with the stuff, because roaches love the heat.

Weatherstrip, caulk, and seal--that will keep the critters out.  Then deal with their hiding places.  Note:  I read something today which stated that light blue ceilings, including on porches, repel wasps and spiders.  It's the color, not the chemicals, which does the work.

• Wed, May 4 2011 7:58 AM In reply to

• PAHopkins
    • Not Ranked
      Female
    • Joined on Sat, Mar 19 2011
    • Michigan
    • Posts 2

I feel your stress over the bugs.  I was being over run by ants and spiders.  I tried everything and the only success I was having was with the vacuum cleaner several times a day.  A friend was visiting and told us that his mother has been using an electronic bug deterrent for years and that she has no bugs in her home.  I was at my wits ends so I did some research and purchased a P3 International P7816 Attack Wave Ultrasonic Pestrepeller from Amazon.com for $17.99.  The unit qualified for free super saver shipping so rather then pay $6.99 for the shipping I made another purchased for $7.99 and got the shipping for free.  Although I purchased another item which I needed anyway, the way I look at it, I only paid $1 for it because I would have spent $6.99 on shipping and gotten nothing but a box and some packing materials.

I was skeptical at first but after two days, the ant population disappeared.  On the fourth day I saw about 6 ants but on the fifth day there were none.  The instructions say it can take up to several weeks to get rid of all the bugs because of the eggs/nests hatching and then those bugs vacating the premises.  I've had the unit running for almost three weeks now and during my spring cleaning I noticed spider webs but with only two rooms to go in the house, I have not come across one live spider, normally I would have come across several in each room.  For about a penny a day, the work the Ultrasonic Pestrepeller is doing is way less expensive then constantly cleaning and vacuuming and all the time I was spending doing both.
  • Wed, May 4 2011 8:43 AM In reply to

I had visitors bring in cockroaches a couple years ago and was appalled! I went to the Dollar Store and bought Boric Acid. I have no pets so I was able to run a line along every possible place I could: the floor and even counters and drawers. Every morning I would get up before the kids and carefully clean it up. Amazingly, they were gone in a couple weeks! They walk on the dust and carry it back to their nest where others come in contact with it. They eventually dehydrate. I haven't seen one since!
  • Sat, May 14 2011 6:40 PM In reply to

I believe this site can help you:

http://www.bio.umass.edu/biology/kunkel/cockroach_faq.html#Q7

Also, I wouldn't worry too much about the roaches biting.   Both the above site and a site called "Ask the Exterminator" (http://www.asktheexterminator.com/cockroach/Do_Cockroaches_Bite.shtml) say that this is rare and usually occurs during sleep.

My Ecofrugal Living blog: ecofrugality.blogspot.com
  • Sat, Oct 29 2011 7:51 PM In reply to

CatchMaster glue traps work very well, particularly for controlling brown recluse spiders, which are probably the most dangerous insect likely to be found inside a home in the U.S. (perhaps excepting black widows, but I believe they more tend to be found outdoors).
    Infrared heaters, made by Amish craftsmen in the Heartland of the USA.
  • Sat, Oct 29 2011 8:27 PM In reply to

Swirlything:

Do you have a Do-it-yourself Pest Control place nearby?  You can buy the professional chemicals and apply them yourself.  Saves a TON of money.

Im telling my father todo that the guy blow alot of money for instraments for his music and the gigs but when it comes to this we can do it but dad is to cheap for that he thinks bom the time when it comes to ants no it takes another type poisin whats the point to bom the house every time do it yourself dad he won't.

• Mon, Dec 3 2012 4:18 PM In reply to

yeah, they can try doing the pest control themselves. As a matter of fact, doing your own pest control is the most affordable pest control method out there. It does not matter the pest in question, all pests can be handled by homeowners... (save wild animals, those should be left to the pros!)
Page 1 of 2 (15 items) 1 2 Next >

The Dollar Stretcher has a new community!

Feel free to read the great frugal living tips, ideas and discussions readers and community members have posted here. But if you'd like to post something or start a discussion, please click here to go over to our new community site and create an account.

About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us